New VA License Plate Protested

NJ, the legistlature sees a voluntary source of revenue. But you knew that.

FOG, is that a 'yes' or is that a 'no'?

Our state has all sorts of alternatives as do many others. I have no problem with someone advertising their allegiance to the KKK if they think it's a good thing. And if the state can make a buck off them, so much the better. What I would like (and I think some of you will agree) is for us to be able to design our own unique plates, subject to state approval of course, and for a substantial fee. Not just simple acronym games but allowing the full creative expression that, say, a KKK member could summon. How about that?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And you call yourself a lawyer?

First of all, I see that contrary to some commentary by others, the old, curmudgeonly, discourteous (and non-several-other-points-of-the-Scout-law) FOG is back.

Second of all: Well, yeah, I do.

My comment was not a legal comment, it was a "public policy" comment. While a state legislature can approve anything it wants (within constitutional boundaries), it is a waste of its time for a legislature to take votes on individual license plates. It should delegate this authority to an administrative agency, as in most states.

Packsaddle, as my response to FOG suggests, I do understand why STATES do this: To make money. What I don't understand is why a legislature wastes its time taking votes on individual plates. It would be like if the legislature had to take a vote to decide which brand of pens or mouse pads to buy for every state agency. Generally legislatures leave these administrative details to administrative agencies. The fact that they are deciding individual license plates just seems like an invitation to controversy... and guess what?

Well, NJ, that very subject has been raised in VA. Every year, hundreds of requests for special plates are sent to the legislature, and each one is considered if it makes it to the floor. Meanwhile, they don't have time to pass the state budget. The DMV already has authority to approve/disapprove "vanity" plates. And if one slips by, any offended constituent can protest and have it pulled from the streets. Since the plates remain the property of the Commonwealth, I, for one, cannot justify plates with religious messages on them (LUV GSUS). I am not anti-religion, but I mean, let's be consistent.

The concept of having special plates has been challenged, as well. Some police agencies are complaining that some designs are so complex, it's hard to make out the license number from a distance (the "Tiger" plate of PA comes to mind). I would have no problem issuing special plates to the following: those convicted of DUI, deadbeat parents, and registered sex offenders.

(This message has been edited by scoutldr)

Well, we in Virginia do have our ways. A friend of my wife is named Pansy. That is her real name. Her vanity plate has said Panzee for many years... She was surprised when she was told she couldn't renew it one year by the state because of the offensive implications of the plate!?!

NJ, Oops, missed your point first time through.

In SC the legislature also approves such plate designs. A court recently threw out a 'pro-life' design. I guess I see scoutldr's point about state property but I find it difficult to get worked up over what amounts to just another bumper sticker. Especially if the state makes money off it.

However, I do remind scoutldr (since Rooster7 hasn't pounced on this) that the rainbow is the biblical symbol of a new covenant (sometimes alternatively viewed as 'renewal') after the Noachian flood. I also think of Jesse Jackson's rainbow coalition using it as a symbol of inclusiveness. There are others.

Oooh Oooh Ooooh, (preferably Officer Toody style, not so much Arnold Horshack, and if you get both, Bless you )

Rainbows? Rainbows? Rainbows?

Only thing we can do now is sing a song from one of the greatest cinematic works of art of all time, Billy Jack

We're a rainbow, made of children

We're an army, singing songs

There's no weapons that can stop us

Rainbow love is much too strong

I was raised in Mississippi

Saying yes sir, to a man

But I found that it got me nowhere

So I ain't gonna do it again

We're a rainbow...

Well my grandma, she was a princess

And my grandpa, he was a chief

And now thanks to our good neighbors

Both my folks are on relief

We're a rainbow...

I was taught that black was evil

I was taught that white was good

But in a rainbow made of children

Every color's understood

We're a rainbow...

It's not the winning that's important

But it's how you play the game

But that's not how some folks see it,

And that's not how peace is made.

We're a rainbow...

BTW what other Camp song comes from Billy Jack and who sang it?(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)