New VA License Plate Protested

http://www.washingtontimes.com/metro/20040708-113558-3906r.htm

Virginia legislature has authorized a new license plate to honor the Boy Scouts of America. Authorization means the plate will be put into production if 350 paid applications are received within 180 days. Steve Cozza of Scouting For All has protested.

A similar plate was authorized in 1999, but supporters were unable to obtain the required number of paid commitments.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I for one don't have a problem if Scouting for all, were offered the same deal.

But then it really makes no never mind to me. I live in Pennsylvania.

I think Dyana Mason is right when she says that she has "Bigger Fish to fry."

Someone else said that their State also had a Boy Scout plate. Was it Alaska?

Eamonn.

We have "BSA" plates in Ohio and "Eagle Scouts" too. Girls Scouts and Rotary Club and Future Farmers of America, and a bunch of others as well.

You can see them at oplates.com Click into the "special plates" sections and browse around.

If I was the Gov't (i.e. Govenor) I'd shy away from promoting private organizations, such as the BSA, with the license program.

I'm curious about the design of the plates. The article states that "The license plate will be designed by the organization, which has 180 days to collect and submit 350 prepaid applications." Does this mean the national council would have to submit a design? An area or region of the BSA? A local council and if so which one and what if there were competing designs? To my knowledge, the BSA is not organized by state (BW or Steele where are you?). I think a design highlighting Virginia's tie in to the National Jamboree would be appropriate.

Va. offers over 180 special plates, many for private organizations. See the list at

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/citizen/vehicles/plate_search.asp

Maryland has BSA plates and they "belong" to the Baltimore Council since they took the lead on having them made. In Maryland, the organization has to certify that you are a member or are otherwise eligible to get the plates. Also, in Md., only 100 orders are required to get the plates made.

An internet search shows that BSA plates are available from

Alaska, Florida, Ohio, Arkansas, Texas, Idaho, Indiana, Utah, South Carolina, Oklahoma, Alabama, Tennessee, New Jersey, Missouri (Eagle and OA plates but no BSA plates listed), Montana, North Carolina,

Maryland.

From the Oklahoma DMV website:

Oklahoma offers over 100 types of special license plates. Some of these plates are available to any applicant, while others are available only to applicants meeting certain criteria. Several of the plates may be personalized by the vehicle owner.

Most special plates are issued for a fee, which is in addition to the annual registration fee. In many instances, a portion of the fee is apportioned to the applicable organization.

There is a Boy Scout plate available.

"hops_scout, I'm grasping for the correct answer. How about this one, "Not everyone can be a member of Boy Scouts." Did I get it right?"

Not everyone can go to Harvard or even UVa. Not everyone can join the Marine Corps. Not everyone can win the Silver Star. What's your point?

FOG- you beat me to it.

Check out the list on Virginia's site. It's riddled with organizations that are not open to everyone.

AKA - Traditionally African American Sorority

Order of the Eastern Star - Religous

Professional Fire Fighter - Strict physical requirements

Sons of Confederate Vets - How insensitive is that???

Pearl Harbor Survivor - I wasn't even born then, that's not fair!

Tobacco - Haven't these people heard of lung cancer?

The list goes on... it's not the government endorsing anything, people. It's about people expressing their personal interests and donating to it in a special way.

I think the real question, which is not answered in this thread so far, is what criteria does the legislature use to decide who to approve? Or, do they use any criteria at all? If they approve EVERYBODY, that's fine. The BSA is anybody. But then, so is the KKK, the Virginia Communist Party, the Church of Satan, or whatever other group you might think of. Would all of them get a license plate too, assuming they hand over the right amount of paid applications? But if not, how are they deciding>

Maybe a better question would be, Why is a state legislature in the business of who gets a license plate in the first place?

Here is the best link I've found for all scouting-related plates:

http://www.angelfire.com/wy/gilwell/plates.html

Why do states do it? Since Virginia started customized and specialty plates, it has become a big money maker. The BSA plate will likely cost $10 in addition to the normal plate fee of $29.50 per year. If you want customized plates, that's an additional $10 per year...all pure profit. Some of the plates are "revenue sharing", that is, the organization gets a percentage...they are $25 a year extra. The first attempt at a BSA plate was not revenue sharing, it was started as a troop service project in a neighboring council, just for PR purposes. My SE was not interested in promoting it, or even allowing flyers and applications to be made available in the Council Scout Shop.

PS: The Sons of Confederate Veterans met stiff opposition and had to sue the Commonwealth for the rights to a plate. The whole specialty plate program was at risk over that one.

PPS: The Order of the Eastern Star is the women's equivalent of the Shriners...a branch of Freemasonry. Not a "religious organization"...at least not any more so than the BSA. My wife's Grandmother was a "Past Worthy Matron"...a really big deal to hear her tell it (God rest her soul).(This message has been edited by scoutldr)(This message has been edited by scoutldr)