The youth are here too, and they watch we say. What example are we setting?

From time to time on the forums, it seems that things can get heated. Some topics generate more heat than others, but it's not the controversies or disagreements that concern me nearly so much as the assumptions and judgements made of other people and how things are said.

One thing I try to keep in mind is that these forums are for Scouts too, not just the Scouters. So one way to measure the worth of my words is this: If a Scout were to imitate my reactions to issues and the way I treat others on the forums, would I be confident that I set a good example or would I cringe that I'd set such a poor example?

The other thing that helps is simply following the Scout Oath and Law. As a Scouter, I have agreed to conduct myself according to the Oath and Law. I have an obligation to do so, not just during my time with the youth, but also when alone or when typing a post in these forums or whereever I might be.

I don't know who's reading, and there are many lurkers (just look at the times there are 3000-4000 active users but so few posts!), and they could be the youth we serve. Any other thoughts on this?

p.s. Scouter Terry, thanks for making these forums available. In spite of those threads that can spiral into a confusing assortment of accusations and the like, this is a very helpful place--a virtual campfire that I enjoy sharing with so many in Scouting from around the world.

Maybe you have a point. I think they can also read the disclaimer. If the Scouts are going through their Citizenship in the World, Nation Merit programs; Well, I think they would expect to see fevorish debate in a topic such as issues and politics. Personaly I think your not able to hold your own.

I doubt that the religion thread holds the interests of youths. Better topics here and youth oriented web sties elsewhere will self govern 99.9% of the youths away from such broad theological discussions. The 0.1% participating are there because they sought out such discussions.

I guess I should clarify: I'm not referring to this part of the forums alone. I mean all of them--debates/disagreements take place in Uniforms, Working With Kids, and others, not just in Issues and Politics.

As for Issues and Politics, I just re-read the Disclaimer, for that's a good point that the youth can too. Interestingly enough, it seems my post is now rather redundant to those reading the disclaimer. Part of the disclaimer is the the "rules of decorum". The rules of decorum are spelled out in http://www.scouter.com/forums/viewThread.asp?threadID=5358 and are to keep the debate honest and treat each other with respect. Summed up, in Scouter's Terry's words in that thread, "act Scout-like".

(This message has been edited by Laurie)

• Administrators

Thank you for the reminder, Laurie. Unfortunately a few folks ignored you (and maybe one or two simply could not grasp the concept). Others still, who genuinely contribute in thoughtful ways feel "sucked in" to the discussions just as a counter weight to diatribe (and then get frustrated or distracted from making meaningful contributions in other areas of the Forums. It's interesting how the tone of the campfire changes just by one or two loud talkers, particularly on those occassions when they have little worth actually saying.For the record, a healthy, intelligent debate where everyone tries to earn and treat others with respect can be a very good thing. Refer to the afore mentioned Rules of Decorum.The last time we closed threads in this Forum, I suggested that each person who was so passionately contributing to the debates take pause, and step over to another area of the Forums to create a new topic that might benefit a new leader or a young Scout reading here. I encouraged everyone to "cleanse" their screen name some by contributing in this way.Disappointingly, only a few followed that advice the last time. Let's see if things change any now, and if the Forums can take a few Good Turns.

TERRY HOWERTON

(This message has been edited by a staff member.)

This is a good place as any ...

I (stating my name) promise to keep my few postings on this forum to the ideals of helping and learning from other scouts and scouters and nothing else. I apologize to everyone whom I may have accidentally insulted, inflamed, or otherwise upset.

A friend is all that I am looking for in everyone here on the forum as well as ideas to make our troop better for the boys ... nothing more and nothing less.

1Hour

ps: Having said that, I took a look at the 227 postings that I did and I can rightly say that I have only posted one semi-offending comment, but that is one too many for a scouter!(This message has been edited by OneHour)

I'm here to take the pledge, too OneHour

I, Scoutmom, promise to keep my few postings on this forum to the ideals of helping and learning from other scouts and scouters and nothing else. I apologize to everyone whom I may have accidentally insulted, inflamed, or otherwise upset.

Through the WHEELER fiasco I found myself being drawn in and posted a few items I later regretted. This time around I was more restrained in my participation but found myself strangely drawn to the ongoing train wreck in the True Religions thread. There were many very thoughtful posts and initially it was an interesting discussion of a sensitive subject that eventually deteriorated. While I did not participate that much directly I confess I found myself silently supporting certain posters versus others.

However, regarding the fact that Youth members are watching and what might they be learning I hope they have followed this episode through to it's conclusion. Once one has been shown to be untrustworthy, their honor is lost and it is nearly impossible to regain.

We have also lost the participation of two long time participants that have made a great contribution to the forum over the years I have monitored the forum. I hope they reconsider. I'm hoping after a break of a few weeks or maybe months they return to offer their insights. I don't agree with everyone on the board all the time but I have appreciated the thoughts and ideas of everyone.

SA