I have tried several times to make a profile and it is probably because I am working from a Library computer. So that all may know my profile, I post it here.

Right now, I live in Battle Creek, MI, USA.

Born in l960.

Eagle Scout from Monterey Bay Council.

Started in the Boy Scouts before the big revision in the seventies.

Entered the U.S. Marine Corps in l978. Visited all of Asia onboard USS CORAL SEA. Participated in the Iranian-Contingency operation in l981. (Failed Rescue raid into Iran.)

After discharge, left for Europe where I lived for 4 years in many countries.

Did a year of philosophy at the Lateran University, Rome, Italy. In l991, went back into the service for Desert Storm and was sent to Saudi Arabia.

While in the Marine Corps, I took the Leadership Course for non-commissioned officers.

Discharged and did 2 years at Berea College KY.

On and off during these periods, I have lived in monasteries. I learned quite a bit from a holy abbot who had a photographic memory and knew 16 languages, twelve of them fluently.

I haven't been able to participate in the Boy Scout program because most of the time, I have been without transportation. My joy is in reading and learning and not making money, so I have to trade off. It's kind of hard to participate without a car. And usually I have to work two low paying jobs just to make ends meet and does not give time for other things. Most of my time I have spent as a farm laborer, not really a high paying job.

One either chases after money or one chases after wisdom. My decision is to chase after wisdom and poverty is my life (just like my hero Socrates). Philosophy requires leisure. What I lack in material riches, I have abounded in metaphysical riches. There is no money in Philosophy. What I observed at College, what I see in the political arena, my understanding of Classical texts, and being an Non-commissioned officer in the Marine Corps has given me valuable insights to what is going on. I may not have participated in the Boy Scout program after the age of l9 but I have participated in a program, called the Military, that puts the pedal to the metal. It is where the rubber meets the road.

Manure does not good piled in a heap...It only does good when it is spread around. I have learned a few things and observed a few things. In a sense I have done the Baden Powell thing by being in the military. That is where he developed his program from. I have done the Thomas Jefferson thing by working on farms all over this world. That is where I am coming from. Unconsciously, I've been trained in philosophy.

I am also Greek by blood. I do not compartmentalize my world. I do not seperate in this regard. I see everything as a whole. Truth is all conclusive. It is a seamless whole. As a Hellene, I take truth from whomever. And I am a lover of Truth. The physical is only the manifestation of the metaphysical.

So If I can summarize. While you have lived a unique and diverse life you have had no involvement in the Boy Scout Program in some 26 years or more. You have never attended Boy Scout Leader training to learn the mission, aims, methods of the various scouting programs. The closest you have come is as a member of the US military which, other than saluting with the same hand has little relationship to the BSA program.

And yet you are here to tell us what we are doing wrong, when in fact you have no knowledge of what we do, how we do it, or why.

Is there any chance you could get the abbot to write us instead? :)(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Wheeler,

Thanks for taking the time to tell us about your self. Your "profile" is very interesting. I've wondered how the world would be diferent if your mission in Iran hadn't failed due to the sand. I think there's a good chance that Carter would have been re-elected if not for the hostages. (That along with his Playboy interview proved too much for him). Not claiming that his re-election would have changed things for the better or worse.

As for transportation, how about piccking up a nice used motorcycle? Something smaller and older. You might find it fits your style and budget.

If it seems like foks here are hostile it is because most here try to keep their post here directly related to scouting. Most have limited time and your post impose on that time. Your post here are seen much the same as a math lesson would not be welcome on a forum dedicated to philosophy. While the math would be vaild it would still not be of interest to the readers. You might do better on a forum dedicated to philosophy or general interest.

Well, when four people vote thumbs down on the post, "To be Man' which is 3/4 of an extractfrom an old field manual, something is wrong, don't you think?

I think we have people unsure of the concept and its importance. I think that I can address this part.

Isn't the Boy Scouts about manhood? Isn't virtue about being a man? Then how can not my posts further the knowledge toward this goal?

Now, I am participating in the Boy Scout movement from a computer. Is that okay?

My poverty prevents my travel but I can by my posting be of some value to others who do participate in meetings and in the formation of policy and the strengthening of the Boy Scout Mission by giving you information you may not have and may very well help the cause.

As Socrates says information should be free of charge.

I think that I can safely say that none of you have ever heard the word "effeminate" but this word was common knowledge in Victorian England. I think that I can safely say that none have heard the saying "The good comes through the hard", but this saying was common knowledge in Victorian England. Don't suppose that the milieu we live in America is the same milieu that created the Baden Powell and the Boy Scout program.

Now I do want to be involved and that is why I am posting because the Boy Scout program is the best there is.

Wheeler,

Your time here is appreciated and your knowledge is to be applauded. You may experience some discomfort with those of us that may disagree with you or question some of your posts. Please accept it that we struggle ever so ardently to seek the truth and express it clearly for many varied reasons but mostly for the benefit of our one love of Scouting.

Welcome brother Eagle,

Fuzzy Bear

Bah, you and your poor poverty, I can show no sympathy, I am living on my own, studying full time at a university and working 30 hours a week for minimum wage, and Im still able to be a Lodge Secretary, ASM, and Crew President, I own no car, only a bike, pay for all of my schooling, lodging, activities etc. If for some reason I need a vehicle for a weekend I borrow one from a friend or my parents. I refuse to believe that poverty has lead you to a life where you can not afford to be active with a troop. I would suggest you look at this page, its for a wonderful new invention called public transportation! Its even in your community, how amazing is that. http://www.battlecreektransit.com . Many troops are always looking for leaders as well, I am sure once you became active with a unit other leaders would be more than willing to give you a ride to most any event. Also many states have programs for the impoverished such as yourself where they provide you with a car at little to no cost. I say blast to your false martyrdom. Its kind of hard to do a lot of things, you just have to remove your posterior from the ground and do it.

Sturgen

Would you want this guy in a troop you where associated with?

I am trying to imagine what he would be doing with the scouts.

As he is having them do a task and the scouts are saying it hurts, he would be screaming in the background, WE needs to makes MEN out of ya! That that does not kill ya only makes ya stronger! I know you can carry a backpack that weighs the same as you! Now hoist that backpack and double time BOY!

Although I do agree that BSA should help turn boys into men, as well as whatever doesnt kill you makes you stronger thats a completely different subject. I would definitely not want wheeler in my troop. I was more making a point that life is tough, get over it, and that it is not a function of his poverty that prevents him from being in scouting, but more a function of laziness. Personally I hold personal observation in higher regard than Plato or Socrates, although I do prefer using the Socratic method when educating youth.

While you like to take pot shots at me...

Mary was listening to Jesus and Martha was taking care of the hospitality. Martha walked up to Jesus and said, Tell her to help me for I am very busy. Jesus said, Martha Martha, you are very concerned with many things; one thing is needful. Mary has chosen the good portion, which shall not be taken away from her."

I choose the good portion.

I guess Mary wanted to take the time to understand the lessons Jesus was trying to share before she tried to persuade others to follow Him. A good lesson here for you as well Wheeler. perhaps you should take the time to learn about the scouting program before you decide to tell us all how we should be doing it.

How about attending New Leader Essentials and the leader specific courses for the scouting programs before you decide what it is we are all doing wrong. Like Mary, perhaps you should sit and listen first.