Another Stupid Question

Ok, here is another one, frequently on this forum during discussions of religion, Wicca is referenced by people. I think I know, but what is Wicca exactly? What do they beleive in? I know prison inmates frequently "convert" to Wicca to pick up special treatment, or so I have heard. I am not talking about them. Many inmates convert to Chriatianity as well. But what does a good, honest Wiccan beleive anyway?

Wicca is one of those terms that means a lot to many people. They may worship one or more gods or goddesses. They do NOT believe that Satan or hell exist, so therefore do not worhsip a devil that doesn't exist. They often have rituals based around nature and the seasons. They usually call themselves witches and meet in covens. Everyone is equal. Males are also witches, not warlocks.

Their first creed is to do no harm.

There are some websites out there that explain it better than I do.

Speaking off the cuff, and probably in ignorance, wicca strikes me as a modern day form of animism, the most primitive of religious belief systems. It is presumably harmless. Some people fear wicca as devil worship, but I understand that devil worship is not part of the scheme of things.

Eisley,

I've never heard of animism, will have to look that up. Wicca is often a blend of many ancient religions, beliefs and rituals.

They aren't out to convert people, what I've run across they are very quiet people and VERY, VERY careful about talking to minors. They are not a cult, they are in general very accepting of other's beliefs. They are as upset as any one of things like Harry Potter and stuff you see on TV and movies about witchcraft. They don't like being portrayed that way.

The Wiccan/Pagan religion, and I use that term very loosely, is Occultism. While they may be good people and harmless, they are misguided in their beliefs. They believe to be following the people who lived before Christianity conquered. Christianity was very effective in destroying these belief systems, via The Holy Roman Empire and The Crusades, that the "New Pagans/Wiccans" have no idea as to the source of their belief structure, which in fact is primarily myth, legend, and literature. Wicca was invented by Gerald Gardner who was a Theosophist, and a Rosicrucian, and a member of "The Golden Dawn" who put together a composition of his own ideas and some historical research. It's all an act of rebellion against mainstream religion. Anyone who pretends to have control over nature, through supernatural powers, is worthy of our pity and our ministry.

Wicca is no more of an occult than some churches I've seen (and attended).

Wiccans do NOT believe they can control nature.

What is the purpose of praying for someone to get well? Isn't that to "control" nature?

Much of the Bible is legend and myth as well. Recent article in National Geographic about Abraham was wonderful. Some of the religious leaders interviewed said they had no proof that man named Abraham as described in the Bible had lived, but it was a great story to believe in. They acknowledged it is not 100% true.

Just because some believes differently than you does not make them misguided.

You liked the Crusades? You are proud of destroying not just beliefs but innocent people?

"Listen, youre welcome to your heretical opinion as politically correct as it may be. But fair warning Mom, you better watch your innuendo. "

What? What innuendo? People were killed in the Crusades. This is a fact. Many people have been killed in the name of "religion" by many religions since the beginning of time.

Just because YOU don't believe something doesn't mean others are wrong. No one religion or belief system has any more "proof" than the next.

You can believe what you want. You can sit there and say "I don't believe THAT". But to accuse all non-Christians as being "mis-informed" is beyond pompous. Being condescending and making fun of others is not productive way of getting your point across.

Can somebody tell me why in Northern Ireland the Protestants hate the Catholics and the Catholics hate the Protestants?

Do you remember the accounts of during WW I, during the Christmas "Ceasefire" the English troops sang "Oh Christmas Tree" while the strains of "O Tannabaum" wafted over the front lines?

I am a Roman Catholic, as I have stated before, and I beleive in Jesus Christ as my Savior. But based on past "recent" history, I would have a hard time defending Christianity as the model blueprint for all religions to follow.

If a Jimmy Baker isnt bilking well meaning people out of millions, then its a Swaggart dealing with prostitutes or priests having sex with boys (or girls).

Any Organization with humans in it will display human characteristics. They may be noble, sincere, and helpful and they may also be base and cruel and sometimes at the same time. How an organization deals with inevitable scandal tells us about the charactor of the organization.

Christianity, IMHO (woo hoo) has a pretty good track record, but I wouldnt call it flawless.

If Wicca seems to be the way to go to some one and they embrace it whole heartedly, I would be amazed and wonder why I couldnt convince them Christianity is the right path. But I also would respect their right to make that choice.(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

OGE writes:

"Any Organization with humans in it will display human characteristics. They may be noble, sincere, and helpful and they may also be base and cruel and sometimes at the same time. How an organization deals with inevitable scandal tells us about the charactor of the organization. :Any Organization with humans in it will display human characteristics. They may be noble, sincere, and helpful and they may also be base and cruel and sometimes at the same time. How an organization deals with inevitable scandal tells us about the charactor of the organization. "

How true! Get any group of people together, for whatever reason and the "fringe element" will come out. I cannot think of any group of people (political, racial, religious, etc.) that doesn't have some bad representation. I think that is why we must be careful in judging a group of people solely on the actions of a few.

I do believe also that the Boy Scout handbook and the Scoutmaster handbook refer to respecting other's beliefs, even if you disagree with them.

OGE,

You said,

"Any Organization with humans in it will display human characteristics. They may be noble, sincere, and helpful and they may also be base and cruel and sometimes at the same time. How an organization deals with inevitable scandal tells us about the character of the organization. Christianity, IMHO (woo hoo) has a pretty good track record, but I wouldn't call it flawless."

No offense intended, but I don't think you're viewing your faith from the right perspective. Christianity is not about a system or organization that promotes values or promises higher standards. It's about finding redemption and salvation through Christ. What sets Christianity apart from all other faiths is Jesus and His free will sacrifice. Unlike other faiths, one does not earn, grow, or develop his way to "salvation". One merely has to accept the gift and follow Him in action and spirit. Upon accepting the gift, the Bible does not promise a sinless life. It does promise redemption. My point being, while God does give us the capacity to resist sin, accepting his gift does not mean we will be "flawless" beings...just forgiven.

Sctmom,

You said,

"I do believe also that the Boy Scout handbook and the Scoutmaster handbook refer to respecting other's beliefs, even if you disagree with them."

I respect everyone's right to believe in whatever they chose to. However, I do not respect every belief, and especially pagan religions. Doing so would be contradictory to my own faith. I'm fairly confident that BSA understands that concept. I'm sure that they do not expect me to respect a faith that is contradictory to my own. However, I can respect people of all faiths. Do you see the difference?