Our council and alot of scouters in our district ( when volunteering their bb guns for district events) use the Daisy Red Ryder spring air rifle.

It has more spring than air to it.

They usually set the targets 15 feet from the barrel line and mats.

They are very low power and as far as firepower goes, ideal for boys who are shootying a bb gun for the very first time.

But once a scout is experienced, these guns are more of a hinderance than good.

The triggers are very stiff and doe scause problems of maintaining accuracy while pulling the trigger. My son can take the camp bb gun and hit the target at 15 feet, but when we go home, he can hit a bull'seye at 200 feet with his .22 rifle.

No, not even suggesting camps have .22 rifles, but they could use better bb guns. My son also has a Daisy air rifle that shoots at 880 feet per second. Technically, it's a small game air rifle. It will kills small rodents and birds and even small dogs.

Smother trigger and he learns more about breath control and squeezing a trigger versus snatching or pulling a trigger.

Scoutfish said:

No, not even suggesting camps have .22 rifles, but they could use better bb guns.

I'm curious, why? I remember shooting a .22 at camp when I was a cub scout, and in Indian Guides (a YMCA organization). Have there been problems with cub scouts that caused the switch to bb guns? Or is it more of an issue of the places that the bb gun ranges are located?

Not trying to start a fight, just wanting to understand.

Crossman are another BB gun my council uses. One district has a set of both for their day camp, and they are in superb condition.

One thing that helps with the Daisy's is having a gunsmith work on them. One year my day camp was given some really crappy ones, and our BB gun director, who is a gunsmith, worked on them in his spare time and they were SWEEEEEETTTT!

the one thing we learned with the bb gun station was that they were teaching aiming with 1 eye and closing the other... took quite a bit to learn that my son couldn't close just 1 eye... so there's a picture of him with me covering his eye with my hand and he finally hit the target. he still has that target up on his wall with the single shot through it - he was so proud.

but now in boy scouts he doesn't want to do the shooting because he still can't close 1 eye at a time and doesn't want to wear a patch.

so at least he still has that 1 target :)

Daisy and Crossman both have been used at special camporee events. I suppose those were at cub day camp as well. My son and I spent about an hour scavenging about a million (maybe that's an exaggeration) BBs off the ground cloth after one of these events. Kept him in business for over a year around our house.

GP1971, please be aware that the BSA has some pretty stringent rules on Cub Scouts shooting sports. Here is a link to the National Shooting Sports Manual, http://scouting.org/filestore/Outdoor%20Program/pdf/30931_WB.pdf Information on the Cub BB program starts on page 81.

This is from the Guide to Safe Scouting "Archery and BB gun shooting are restricted to day camps, Cub Scout/Webelos Scout resident camps, council-managed family camping programs, or for council activities where there are properly trained supervisors and all standards for BSA shooting sports are enforced. Archery and BB gun shooting are not to be done at the pack level."

As far as selecting a BB gun, there is a maximum barrel velocity of 350 feet per second requirement.

(This message has been edited by click23)