Themes and Character Connection

I know of some packs in our district which continue to come up with "fun" themes, primarily for pack meetings. Others are expanding on the character themes, by tying the theme to a community outing or pack activities, e.g. Respect - tie in a trip to a senior center and focus on respecting elders, or tie it to flag education and learn how to respectfully care for a retire a U.S. flag.

Resourcefulness can be incorpated into recycled genius kits or a trip to the recycling facility.

Heath and Fitness can be tied to a sports day or a hiking event, or a grocery store field trip to learn about healthy eating.

It takes some imagination and more work than the old "fun" themes to tie the Core values. The Roundtable guide and Pack resource sheets help a little. They use the core value, but suggest alternate activities from the Den and Pack Resource Guide, which of course, is just a repeat of last year.

It makes sense to me to pull in themes each month, they could be more generic that the pack chooses to go with what they usually do thru the year, and then pull out specific events to highlight the theme.

for instance for the month for Courage, use it in October for fire safety prevention month and the local fire safety parade. Have all the dens work on something safety or health and fitmess related.

My pack has brand new leadership team this year as I stay on as just COR. It's been hard getting them to just PLAN something for pack meetings, since they can't just pull up a theme page and use it as is anymore. The learning curve for them to find and use other resources is really hurting them and the pack meetings.

I don't use themes or character connections in pack meetings, and Den Leaders don't either.

Just tough to work them in, so far.

As in much of Scouting, there are loads and loads of things suggested for leaders to do --- much more than anyone can do. That means that leaders must make choices about what to do in developing a program.

So I make choices that are the best I can do, working within the limitations and resources I have available.

So far, character connections haven't made the cut.

As others have said, it is easy, and fun, to work themes, and Character Connections (we sort of combine them) into Pack meetings.

It does not have to be anything big and fancy, cost a lot, or use lots of resources. It just has to add a bit of pizazz and FUN to the meetings.

Silly songs, games, and jokes don't cost anything.

Genius kits are great because they use trash.

Holding a food, used clothing, or used toy drive during the holidays helps everyone remember how fortunate they really are, and what compassion means.

Making Boxcar Derby den vehicles out of old cardboard boxes and duct tape does not cost much, but is great for both cooperation and resourcefulness.

Fun is a lot better than a talking head and lines of boys receiving a baggie and a handshake.

• 4 weeks later...

I do my Cubmaster Minute during opening about whatever that month's Core Value is. I just did "Cooperation" this past Monday night. Paper with Letter, spelling out the word, Cubs up front, holding up letters... I sang the first line, and had the audience sing the chorus.

Cubmaster Minute -- Cooperation

Without cooperation we would be just a bunch of people, but with cooperation we are a Pack!

Song: Cooperation (Tune: This Old Man)

This Cub Scout, number one, taking turns is much more fun!

Chorus: With a knick knack paddy whack, We'll COOPERATE;

We know Scouting's really great!

This Cub Scout, number two, with his friends theyll work for you.

(Chorus)

This Cub Scout, number three, taking turn's a gift thats free.

(Chorus)

This Cub Scout, number four, find a partner, we'll do more.

(Chorus)

This Cub Scout, number five, for helping others he will strive.

(Chorus)

This Cub Scout, number six, teamworks one of Scoutings tricks.

(Chorus)

This Cub Scout, number seven, he will surely go to heaven.

(Chorus)

This Cub Scout, number eight, gives goodwill and he feels great!

(Chorus)

This Cub Scout, number nine, groups solve problems -- that's just fine.

(Chorus)

This Cub Scout, number ten, with his friends they'll be great men!

(Chorus)