Archery & BB Belt Loop/Pin

Ok I have been trying to find something that tells me what "The Archery loop and pin can be awarded only by a certified Cub Scout Archery shooting director" means. I was Den leader at a day camp last week and the range safety officers both told me the boys had all gotten the belt loop and pin but I don't have anything "official" like paper work etc.

So aby idea where I could find something a little more definite on what is required from the range masters?

The archery and Bb beltloops and pins can be awarded by anybody. The den leader or any leader who was at the camp where the activity took place.

But the key thing is this:

The scouts can only participate at an offical sanctioned activity which must take place at a council or district camp.

Our scouts participate in BB and archery every time they go to Council parent/son and Council resident camp.

All they do is bring us a target as proof and a parent who can verify to get a beltloop. The pin takes a bit more time with the scout talking/demonstarting certian principals to his den leader.

In Cub Scouting, "Akela" passes on the requirements for any given badge,rank,pin,belt loop. As we all know, Akela can be a

parent, a DenLeader, the Cubmaster, depending on the item in question. See the rank book.

When it comes to the Shooting Sports, the books (G2SS, Cub Shooting Sports, The Sports Belt Loops,) are fairly clear (surprise!). Cubs can only pass the Shooting Sports BL & Ps at District or Council sanctioned camps/events, supervised by Scout trained Range Safety Officers (or Scout approved. Some archery and gun organizations sanction training that Scouts OK). After each Day Camp, our District puts out a list of the rank requirements and electives the Cub "MAY" have done, depending on his participation. The understanding is that if he attended all days of the camp, he fulfilled the BL requirements for archery and BB shooting (assuming the camp had those ranges. Some don't.). The RSO say "we did it", the Akelas sign the card.

The Pins take a little longer, are more detailed. For instance, when I was the RSO , I had the Archery Pin candidates (Bears,

Webelos) come in one day at 7am before camp started at 9am, to fulfill the special requirements. I then issued a special certificate to the Cub, attesting to the fact that he had fulfilled the requirements for the Archery Pin. The home Akelas issue the Pin and sign the card.

The home Pack Akelas must determine if the boy did anything else (flag ceremony, knot tying, some of Map and Compass, etc.). We say we TEACH and PRACTICE some skills, and try to have fun at it, but we don't claim to be able to TEST and see if all 256 Cubs have that skill down pat.

Least that's the way we do it up here in Murlun....

Our scout shop requires a certificate from the event to sell the Archery and BB Gun belt loops and pins. The certificates are handed out to the boys who earned the awards on the last day of camp/cub-o-ree or other district/council event. All we do on the pack level is show the certificate, pick up the award and hand it out. The parents can purchase the belt loops or pins as well, as long as they have the certificate.

I don't have anything "official" like paper work etc.

Yeah, Renax127, I remember when my son first started Cub Scouts and I was surprised at the complete lack of anything resembling official paperwork. They just gave us a list of everything that could have been done at all of the stations, and assumed that every Cub Scout went through every station.

This is something to get used to. Scouting is run by volunteers and it isn't highly organized, in any sense. Just use your best judgment and the best available evidence as to who's completed what.

Our council shop would sell the belt loops to anyone, and our council would let us do BB's and archery as a "council" event when we were the only pack at camp. Every council and district is a bit different in terms of how much checking they do on the various items all through Scouts.

If all the boys actually shot the guns and the arrows, I'd give them the belt loops.

I was Den leader at a day camp last week and the range safety officers both told me the boys had all gotten the belt loop and pin but I don't have anything "official" like paper work etc.

Why does Renax not want to take their word for it? If there are doubts about the veracity of the verbal report, how would memorializing it on a piece of paper change that? It's not an Eagle application, it's a Cub Scout belt loop or pin that doesn't even have any effect on Cub Scout advancement. Two scouters in a responsible position have reported that they were completed; that certainly seems like enough evidence.

I think the report of the scout store that requires a certificate from the event is in the minority. Belt loops and pins are not restricted items.

When you're running 150 boys through 15 targets with two adults and two scout helpers under the blazing sun, you need to have your eyes on the range, not the paperwork!

Everyone who attended the full week of daycamp qualified for the beltloop, unless they were thrown off the range for safety violations.

We had a few who older boys who put in the extra effort to qualify for the pin. They have to do 4 of 10 extra tasks.

We usually help any scouts who are working on their archery merit badge get qualified during the week. But the new requirements, as of January 1st, are much harder than they seem. The required distance moved back to 15 yards from 10; and the required score went from 150 to 170 for recurves. Even using the larger bows, practicing hard, and responding to coaching, nobody qualified.

I know that my shoting sports folks know the requirements for the belt loops, pins, and CS Shooting Sports Award, and is incorporating them into their program. But SSSHHHHH don't tell the Cubs that, they think they are trying different positions and learnding cool stuff.

If there are doubts about the veracity of the verbal report, how would memorializing it on a piece of paper change that? It's not an Eagle application, it's a Cub Scout belt loop or pin that doesn't even have any effect on Cub Scout advancement.

Holy crap! And we wonder why people are afraid to ask questions here.

Perhaps, Blancmange, Renax127 simply did not understand that supporting documentation is not required. There's really no need for the haughty reply.

This must be something new: Archery and BB Guns belt loops and pins being restricted. I remember when a parent could just walk up, and purchase them like the rest of the belt loops and pins.