Camping Question

Scoutfish.....Are you confusing an overnight or weekend event with resident camp?????? In my neck of the woods resident camp is a week long. Weekend events are just that an event or camp out..... Just differences in language or use of language, but it confuses the newbies.

If your district invites Bears to a Webelos event....your district folks need some retraining.(This message has been edited by Basementdweller)

Ooops! I over spoke, Tigers were not considered Wolves afterall. We just let then participates since most Tiger parenst were also Wolf, Bear or Webelos parents and would be at camp and not leaving their Tiger age kids at home.

But Bears were considered Webelos at the camp.

What the heck, I imagine summer in your neck of the woods would be really challenging for Cubs, being outdoors for a week. Makes sense, keeping a 7 or 8 year old hydrated would be a tough.

Interesting, our council took our resident camp from 4 nights to 5 nights this year and we were told it was something national dictated???????????

Interesting how the different scout franchises are being run.

I got the answer. Thanks. I'm a den leader of two years and if I can't manage to stay a den leader, I actually will most likely become the ACM and then CM next year since nobody else is stepping up. Although I'd rather be a den leader. If you actually need to know, I've done the den leader training for tiger and den leader both online and in person training, weather hazard training, youth protection training, BALOO will be next fall. Haven't done OWL as I'm still a Wolf Leader. Nor have I done IOLS since I'm in cubscouts and not boyscouts.

I'm just a leader who's looking to plan for next year and beyond to see what I'll need. I just didn't know the answer to the question I posed. The idea came from the current bear den leader who's plan was to do that this year after they earned thier badge. It didn't seem correct to me, but thought it if was, it would be fun.

Info isn't readily available in my pack so I thought I'd ask here. While there's no hurry, I was just looking for something fun for the kids. The local state park has an observatory and will give the scouts a guided tour and instruction of it and the park also has campsites. Thought it would be fun to tour the observatory on a Sat afternoon and then camp over Sat night. I already know I can't take them camping myself. It would have been me, a co-den leader and some parents.

We've been camping before, but at district and pack events.

Also not saying there's a rush but if you actually look at it, you can't camp as a den until you are into the 4th year of a 4.5 year cubscout program. My kids like the outdoors. Our fishing and hiking outings are their favorites of the year and they want to know when we are going camping. Previously the only campouts that were done by non Weblos were the once a year family campout. I was able to coordinate two other pack campouts at district events this year and the kids had fun. So I was looking to do something as a den.

I'll just skip it till they are Weblos.

In Sunday School a kid between 3rd and 4th grade is called a "rising 4th grader". Is that a brevet captain? I think my old Pack would "graduate" all the boys to the next level before the school year ended. They got new neckers and pressure to come back. Therefore, a Bear became a Webelos and if interested, could work on Activity Pins. In any case I would hate to stand between a boy and progress when they may have free time during the summer.

Well, the campo gets real busy between Troops, Crews , and Ships ( couldn't say for sure why on the last one though..) but still has the usual gang of help.

Maybe help is too thin/ over worked?

Maybe tha humidity is right around broil on the heat index scale.

Maybe ( as in my case) parenst have more work/ more hours in the summer than the rest of the year.

Personally, I wish resident camp was in the fall when it is in the 70's or so in the day, but drops to the high 40's low 50's at night! Ahhh...perfect campfire/ camping weather! :)

Looking at the standards for Cub Scout resident camp,

A Cub Scout or Webelos Scout resident camp is a council-organized overnight camp of at least two consecutive nights duration that operates under trained leadership for camp positions as defined in these standards.

http://www.ncsbsa.org/resources/standards/2011%20National%20Standards%20Resident.pdf

So a council that has a Friday-Sunday CS camp out that follows those standards IS a resident camp.

Well you wouldn't want to move them on to webelos right after they earn their Bear rank, cause right after their Bear rank they should be working on all those very very fun Bear electives!! You gotta be sure you are completely done with doing anything in that bear book , cause if you call them webelos and start on webelos, you can't go back and do the bear stuff once you start on webelos.

Our pack graduates the boys to the next rank about the last week of school (last week of May, next Weds as a matter of fact, May 25th). That gives them a new hat, necker, slide, and BOOK. The new book right at the end of the school year, snags them to want to move up to the next level. They see all that cool stuff to do and even if they can't make it to many of the pack things over the summer(dens meet sparingly) they are more likely to come back strong when school starts back the 1st or 2nd week of August.

not that it makes any difference, but besides by question. Found out at our pack meeting last night that our Bears who just got bear rank awarded on 19th, went to the weblos woods campout on 18th.

• 4 weeks later...

I know that this is an old post but someone might be able to use the information. I am currently the Webelos 1 Den Leader. Last year i was the Bear Den Leader. I had a den of 10 Bears (down to 8 when they became Webelos)and when Webelos Woods happended in April the district opened it up to 1st and 2nd year Webelos and Bear's that had EARNED their Bear Badge. Since it was only open to those Bears that earned their rank I had only 5 out of the 10 that were eligible and of those 5 had only 2 that went. Before the event I sat down with the CM, CC, and the parent of the other boy that was going (my son was one of the 2). I explained to the parent with the help of the CM and CC, that a parent would have to go with the boy, the boys would be doing the same activities as the Webelos but would not earn the Activity Badges that the webelos earned. The parent said that was not a problem. The parent then said to me that even though they were not going to be earning the Activity Badges it was a great experience for the boys. The 2 Bears were actually able to earn a couple of Belt Loops while they were at Webelos Woods. This was also the first time that the Bears got to camp with a Troop. Since Webelos Woods the Bears had a chance to go to Scout Weekend in Branson, MO (which only a few people went including 1 Bear-because of the weather and travel) Because of the report from the Bear that camped in Branson and the 2 that went to Webelos Woods there are a total of 11 boys going to Resident Camp (4 Bears (moved up from wolf) 3 Webelos 1 and 4 Webelos 2).

I'm not sure how providing additional anecdoctal examples of units or districts who don't follow the program as designed adds to this discussion.The answer to the original question is quite clear. I might think it's a good idea to let 4th graders who have earned their Webelos badge attend regular summer camp with a troop, but that doesn't mean it should happen.