CC with no help from parents or Cubmaster

I was asked to take over as Committee Chair, and I want to make our Pack better. I get no cooperation from the Cubmaster, he is unwilling to make any changes, and I have boys that are dropping out. Their parents shouldn't have to make them come, and the Cubmaster is a big part of the reason the boys don't want to come back. His sons get special treatment, and are allowed to skip through things while the other boys have to work. I have been running the Webelos for the last few weeks with no help from parents or the Cubmaster. (Cubmaster says football is more important) I'm about ready to quit. My son is a wolf, so I have no idea what the Webelos should be doing, nor do I feel I should have to take on multiple roles.

Welcome to our campfire! You will get lots of advice here.

Has anyone had training? I will start out by saying that I'm not clear on how the CM can influence boys one way or the other? Cubbing happens in the dens...the CM's primary job is to emcee the Pack Meeting, and to recruit and mentor the Den Leaders. Den Leaders run their dens and the Committee runs the business and planning end. As CC, you are in charge, and should NOT be "running the Webelos".

So, my first bit of advice is to get everyone trained and then running in their own lanes, and NO multiple roles...there are enough jobs to fill so that everyone can have one. Contact your Unit Commissioner and ask for an objective assessment and guidance...that's their job and it's your job to ask them.

Good luck...

Agreed: Let's start by having you call your friendly unit commissioner. Don't have one, you say? Not so. Every unit in BSA has a Commissioner: If the UC is missing, the District Commissioner is your unit commissioner.

He's close to the ground, and can provide lots of support.

Next, like Sctlder, there's a lot to wade through.

Are you staffed properly? Here's some info on how the adult side of the Pack forms to present and support program to kids:

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/CubScouts/AboutCubScouts/ThePack.aspx

Are you all trained? The adult side of Scouting is a team, and we either provide program (Cubmasters and Den Leaders) or support the program (the Committee). Training helps us work as a team better.

Cub Scouting is collaboration. We all have to play nice, or it doesn't work.

Take a breath, relax, and go have a cup of coffee with the CM. Find out what his vision is for the Pack, and what his goals are for program. Take a look at the calendar together, make sure the things you're wanting to do support the program he's charged to implement.

Keep us informed. Scouting is a learning curve for adults, but good cheer helps it go ...

Well, first of all, I think the CM should be showing up. And when he does show up, it is for 10 minutes, then he leaves. He won't call me back, he has me go through his wife who isn't even a registered member of our group. Also, the instant I said I would attend Roundtable in August, I am the only one who goes. They split up into groups there (CC's CM's DL's) and I can't help feeling like we're missing out on valuable info. His motto is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". And we are broken.

I do: Roundtable, Committee Meetings, Scouting For Food, Haunted Forrest, Family Camp, Charter, answering questions from parents, awards, and lots more that I can't think of right now.

Since it is getting close to recharter time, it sounds like talking to your COR about the current CM should be in order. From your posts, it sounds like it is time for the current CM to move on & a new CM needs to step up. Your COR is the one who approves all adult leadership and they should be the one to tell the current CM his services are no longer needed.

As a previous CM, even I can see you're doing more than CC should be doing. I would have killed for a CC that was trained & involved..

Well, maybe not kill, but at least maim a little,. :)

Either you get the Chapter Rep. to put you in as CM, and get another parent to attend training as CC or get another parent to be trained as CM, and you do the CC. Ask the CM to set aside and stay as a

DL... or tell him he is done.

Since recharter is coming up, this is the time to get another acting CM. Once recharter is over, and you can get someone trained, then you could shuffle as WDL, CM, etc...

Since the CM won't work with you do you really think he will take any advise (and that's the main role) from the Unit Comm.?

If this CM is planning on following his sons to the Troop, it may not be worth the battle. If he plans to stick around, then might as well run with it.