need help planing a cmapout

My den is in charge of planning the upcoming camping trip. I need to come up with a craft, a game, and a conservation project. We are located in AZ and will be camping here in AZ. Does anyone have any ideas? This is the first year I have been a wolf den leader and I am totally stumped.

First off have you, or anyone in the pack gone through BALOO and Hazardous Weather Training yet? HW is online, but BALOO is a day long course.

Also have you looked in the How-To book? there are tons of games and crafts in there.

As for conservation projects, sorry I cannot help you as I am not as familiar with CS level projects yet.

What about meals, additional activities, and a campfire program?

Wow, alarm bells big time.

As Eagle92 stated, "have you taken Baloo" training? If you are planning the campout, who is in charge? Someone MUST have Baloo training. Also, Cub Camping is "Family" camping until Webelos.

Crafts and games are the same as you would have at Den meetings (except games can be bigger with parents involed {think sack races, three legged races} and crafts can be a bit messier.

As for conservation, look in the handbooks for each rank. If nothing else, trash pick-up at a park is always a nice gesture.

YiS,

Rick

My Pack is camping in the mountains this weekend with a 70% chance of rain. The woods will already be a soggy mess, since the forecast calls for 4-6 inches between now and then.

I need suggestions. 'Stomp the Puddle' and 'Dodging Raindrops' are going to result in wet cold scouts and muddy gear going home on Sunday.

Log boat races in swollen creeks might be interesting, if the ground is stable enough to stay dry and the creeks aren't too big. Erosion control projects are fun to do in the rain (since you don't have to imagine the water flow), but that's only fun until your boots get soaked through. The usual scavenger hunts, woods games, and nature activities that entertain Cub Scout aged boys won't work in the rain.

So far the best I can come up with is a relay race filling a bucket with water from the tarp runoff.

Help appreciated.

Nah. The nails in the Cubs' hands and feet that you have to use to keep them on the logs make the logs top-heavy. The logs roll upside down and the Cub's head bumping on the creek bottom slows the race to a crawl.

4-6 inches of rain and Cub Scouts? I thought I was the only one stupid enough to try something like that. Good luck.

With that much liquid sunshine, I assume that you'll be in a cabin. If so, have plenty of indoor plans as well. A laptop and a video projector liberated from someone's office, along with some extra speakers makes for a great indoor theatre. Have a marbles tournament with beltloops.

For outdoors, be certain that everyone brings multiple changes of clothing, boots, lot o' socks, gloves and a real raincoat.

Advise parents before hand that any complaints by them will make it worse for the kids.

Little log boat races down a swollen creek sounds like a cool idea, just be real careful to keep the guys away from the riverbanks. Watching from a bridge would be better. Have a large fishnet at the end to catch the boats.

You could check with the camp managers and see if they have any projects for the scouts.

Hill climbing in the mud would be really fun. Have the boys bring clothes that don't really need to go back home with them.

This could be a disaster, or it could be one of the most memorable camouts you've ever had

Cabin? It's a state park pioneer site with 4 Adirondack shelters. Not even a tropical deluge will get me to sleep in an Adirondack. Been there, done that, spent two weeks getting the critters out of my gear and hair... We'll be in tents.

We've eMailed parents an EQ list: Extra boots, shoes, socks, clothes; rag towels, rubber boots if possible, plastic bags for wet clothes, etc.

Thank you for:

camp manager's projects

fish net boat-catcher

positive parental attitude

Even though I like the mud-racing uphill idea, the silt in the trout fishery is too politically incorrect, even for me.

Disasters are some of my best memories.

;^)

JoeBob - we're camping this weekend to on the NC/SC border, but we're going to be in a cabin. [you may insert wimpy GS comment here or maybe just good planning in hindsight - hmmmm]. We're still going to make stamps and go letterboxing in the rain. I am debating our long hike pending the weather - it might turn into a shorter camp walkabout instead. I've put together some puzzle and game activities. One that might work for you: divide the pieces of a puzzle into 4 portions; put each portion into 4 eggs all the same color; do this for several teams each with a different puzzle and egg color; have an adult hide the eggs around the campsite; divide into teams; cubs work in pairs with 1 cub blindfolded to find the eggs. When a team has found all their eggs, the puzzle is put together in the tent.

JoeBob - we're camping this weekend to on the NC/SC border, but we're going to be in a cabin. [you may insert wimpy GS comment here or maybe just good planning in hindsight - hmmmm]. We're still going to make stamps and go letterboxing in the rain. I am debating our long hike pending the weather - it might turn into a shorter camp walkabout instead. I've put together some puzzle and game activities. One that might work for you: divide the pieces of a puzzle into 4 portions; put each portion into 4 eggs all the same color; do this for several teams each with a different puzzle and egg color; have an adult hide the eggs around the campsite; divide into teams; cubs work in pairs with 1 cub blindfolded to find the eggs. When a team has found all their eggs, the puzzle is put together in the tent.

The plastic egg will keep the puzzle pieces dry in the rain. I like it!

Now I just have to find the Commander's Easter box.

We'll be in NE Georgia enjoying the same rain storm as you.

We'll be thinking of you.

Thanks.

Check with you local Lowes. They may have some of the build and grow kits left over that you can get. Who knows, they may even gove you some hammers and goggles too. That is what our local one did. It all worked out great.

That can be a good craft. For the games, go to the www.macscouter.com they have the Big Book of games. There are a lot of outdoor games there.

As for your conservation project, ask the park ranger or campsite manager. They should know of a few things that need to be done that the boys can do.

Interesting.....No clue what to do in the out doors

How about a Natural scavenger hunt?

Hiking?

Bring a football or kick ball the boys will play for hours

Plant and Animal ID by track sound or scat

Games abound

Tent setting up contest

knot tying

As suggested a good turn project will be good

Camp fire songs and skits

Scouts own service sunday morning for the camping part of the rank advancment.

Don't be afraid to let them have some free time to explore the outdoors.