Scholarship/Campership Guidelines

I have brought up to our pack committee the suggestion of Camperships and Scholarships. they thought it was a good idea for us to start doing this for our families in need.

What I would like from the members of the forum are some guidelines that you may have used for determining qualification for scholarships/camperships.

Here are some of the considerations that we started to come up with.

Participation

Basic Need (The family should make the interest to us that there is a need)

Is there anything else that we should be aware of. I am trying to keepe things fair and equal. I also would like to do this because I believe that no Cub should be left out due to financial reasons.

I think you need to have something about participating in unit fundraisers. Who in adult leadership will make the decision on need. You will have some (hopefully not) that do not need aid but will ask. Need to decide just what you are willing to help with (camp/uniform/outings) and how much you are willing to help with all or 1/2, 3/4. A scout should earn thier own way. I know not always possible but an attempt should be made to pay thier own way.

Does you council have campership/scholarships available? Maybe look at their guidlines.

My 2 cents

kbandit

Discretion. This should be a quietly held matter between at most four people: CM, CC, Treasurer and perhaps COR (if Chartered Partner assets will be part of the package).

Hand up, not a hand out: I don't think it unreasonable for some service time to the Chartered Partner as part of the package. This is how we handled internal camperships in my Troop.

Discretion It bears repeating!

Our council has a campership program that will provide a maximum 50% of the fee. In the application, the scout is asked for a plan on how he is going to come up with the other half, through his own efforts such as mowing lawns, babysitting, unit fundraisers,etc.

I know of a unit that plans fundraising such that ALL unit activities are paid for...the parents pay nothing. That would be preferable, since you don't have to sort out who is in "need" or not.

I like some of the ideas that are being presented so far. I will take these suggestions to the pack committee members. We are trying to decide on how fundraisers will be split up and other things like that. We are trying to figure out how much should go to the boys Camp fund and how much for other pack needs.

Our requirements are:

1) The family presents a need or one is observed by leadership.

2) Confidentiality (CC, CM, and Treasurer are the ones who know the details)

3) Helping themselves (Must participate in fundraisers uless there is a good reason, i.e. hospitalized family member or something)

4) Helping the Pack (Parent must help out on some pack functions, not necessarily leadership as we want leaders that want to do the job)

5) If they don't attend for other than a reason such as illness, etc., we ask that they repay as much as they can of what was scholarshiped so that we can continue to help others.

This year we are also going to try giving them a paper that outlines this and having the CC or CM privaly discuss with the parent the importance of what they are getting and that it is to help the Scout (we don't have money to burn).

My big problem with these so called Guidelines is that they tend to be " One Size Fits All"

There is always going to be someone who falls outside of the Guidelines.

Participation in fund raising events? Sounds like a given until a kid comes along that has a good reason for not being able to participate.

My feelings are that:

There should be the funds available.

If there are no funds? You are just wasting everyones time.

Another big part of this is where is the money going to come from?

There should be a real need.

How you determine this can be the hard part.

I think you need a small group of people who can look at each case on its own merits and reach a discreet determination.

I personally think that giving anyone a free ride just doesn't work. The person does need to have some sort of investment in whatever it is in order to get something out of it.

I think John-in-KC is right on in talking about discretion. In our pack, we have $1000 put aside annually for scholarships, uniforms and camperships. But we rely heavily on our Den leaders to (discretely) advise the committee when assistance may be needed (but prehaps not asked for). It is accepted that this is answered by the Committee Chair, Cubmaster and Treasurer, without involving the rest of the committee. In fact, I can't recall a single occation in which we did not simply pay as needed.

Thank you all for the suggestions. This will help us in making things possible. I will take these points to the committee. This should help us in making the right decision.

Yes discretion will be the most important part. We will not advertise this program, but we will use observation to make sure that no boy is left behind because of money. But we also do not want people abusing the program.

I think that having the parent help out the pack with a certain part of the program will work out for the best. Like you said, maybe a pack meeting or other special project.