Medieval themed ideas?

We are camping in a castle in September, and I'm searching for some good ideas for activities.

So far we've come up with Bocce ball, Chess, and making coin bags. I wanted to do a pool noodle joust, but I think I'm being outvoted.

Any other ideas? Our Webelos will be there all weekend, the rest of the pack will come up Saturday during the day.

There are a million things, what were you kind of thinking, more crafts, or more physical activities, or what?

Some ideas:

You could have them make small catapults and launch things like marshmellows, see who can go farthest, which cscrews up and goes shortest. You could see if you can do it accurately by launching the marshmellow to knock something like empty cans down, lots of things you can do with launching something!

A couple of years ago this was the theme for our Mom and me, and they bought blank cardboard 'shields' from oriental trading's Hands on Fun catalog, and the boys made their own coats of arms on them. They also had templets available for the boys to use on their coats of arms. I have seen leather like bracelets also in that catalog that we colored or decorated with markers. The boys also used pvc pipe and foam pipe covering to make swords with that they used all weekend. They also used pvc notched st the ends with twine strung like a bow, and used dowels for arrows, making bow and arrows.

You could come up with an obstacle course that all good knights should be able to get through before being knighted. They could make their own family flags.

Let us know if you have some specific areas, I'm sure we can come up with more!

Have fun!

~Pixie

Our day camp just had Knights of the Round Table theme. The boys learned how to juggle, they used an oversized t-shirt to make tunics, they made cardboard shields with a family crest and used colored masking tape to decorate, they made noodle swords, cardboard knights helmet, marshmallow catapaults. I wasn't sure the boys would enjoy the theme but I was wrong. We had re-enactors in all week doing demonstrations on jousting, they learned about family crests, etc.

The best part of the pool noodle sword fight would be to engage a scout in a duel and then say the immortal words, " I know something you don't know", and then the answer to the inevitable "what?", " I am not left handed" whereupon you switch the sword to the right hand. Of course you have to have it in your left hand to start

OGE: I can quote nearly every line from that movie! Gotta love it when he says "leff" handed!

gcan: We had a summer camp with this theme - catapults were a big hit, here are some more ideas:

Marbles - glass art was popular in Medieval times - we tied it in to the glass marbles

"Stained glass" - votive cups with tissue paper glued around the outside to look like stained glass - these turned out really nice and inexpensive

We did the cardboard shields from Oriental Trading

Wrote letters of support to soldiers (called them modern-day knights!) - sent them through Operation Gratitude

Royal Red Rover - each Scout wears a sign with a renaissance title on it (Blue Knight, Court Jester, Cleric, etc) - other side says, "Royal Red Rover, send the Green Knight right over"

Wizard's Chess - draw a giant chess grid with sidewalk chalk, boys wear signs for different pieces, eliminated players or leaders "move the pieces" as for a real game - great way for everyone to play the game together

Made and used the jousting teeter-boards from the Cub Scout How-To book

Lots of nature exploring (linked it to a knight needing to know all about the world around him).

Made shield neckerchief slides - leather scraps I cut out ahead of time with a bandsaw into small shields, boys decorated with Sharpies, hot-glued PVC ring on the back - looked great!

Made tunics

Magic tricks (link to "wizards")

Horseshoes

Make sand castles!

The Gauntlet - boys all have water guns, stand in 2 lines facing each other - leader walks (QUICKLY!) between the 2 lines holding a lit candle, boys try to squirt out the candle with their water guns!

Fun game called Giants, Wizards, and Elves - it's like "Rock, Paper, Scissors" on a large scale - Google for instructions

PM me if I can help further -

clyde

thanks for the great ideas! I will check out oriental trading tonight... I also saw an idea to use plastic wine 'goblets' and glue 'jewels' on them, time to shop!

And I never thought of marbles- it fits our theme, AND it's a belt loop, lol.

Any idea where i could find marshmellow catapault instructions?

Not to date myself but that was our theme in the late 1940s when I was a Cub Scout. Each boy made a suit of amour out of cardboard and laced together with string. The cardboard was then painted silver.

I remember several den meetings back then but this is the only Pack meeting that I really remember in detail.

Those cardboard ice cream containers that the ice cream shops throw out everyday make great knight's helmets.

The Pack I served made rocking jousting platforms from plans found in the How To Book. The Cubs loved them.

We knighted each scout using the Knight's Code of Chivalry