Philmont/Wilderness Voyage height and weight guidelines

A question came up recently about the height and weight guidelines for Philmont and the Charles L. Sommers Wilderness Voyage -

Can anyone tell me where I can find these guidelines in print??

One would think if they are "strictly enforced" as stated in the program information that someone would think to put the guidelines in writing where we could find them. :)

Thanks

SouthPoleScout,

If you arrange for a trek to Philmont the information will be in the packet they send you. Bob White has given you an excelent resource. I can tell you that they are indeed strict about the limitations. I took a trek in 2001, and had a boy that exceeded the height /weight max. I was sure that because he was very athletic (offensive lineman) and practiced three times a week in 90 degree heat in full football gear that he would have no problem. Philmont was not amused. If you have someone that exceeds the restriction contact Philmont and explain the situation ahead of time. Be sure before you go that an exception will be made. My boy got to hike but it was a close call. The staff was concerned about rescue in the event of accident, 6'3" at 250 has a different center of gravity than 5'11" 250. Over 21 years and you must meet the restriction.

The Philmont medical form also has the same information. The form is so long because it contains a lot of explanatory information for the health professional who is signing off on the form. It really puts a burden on health care professional, and that is appropriate. If you have an otherwise healthy person who is outside the limits for some reason, a more detailed explanatory note from your health care professional may be helpful.

Wow that's an eye opener for me. My 12 year old son is 6'0" and weighs about 250. He plays soccer, baseball, football, basketball, and track, and is going to work on his Lifesaving merit badge this summer. He wears size 12 shoes and has just barely started puberty....so he has a lot of growing to do yet. Based on these stats, it looks like Philmont may not be allowed for him (but it wouldn't be allowed for Shaq O'Neill either!) I guess we can just hope that by the time he is 6'5" his weight will not increase with his height.

MomScouter,

A person 6' tall is allowed to weigh no more than 239 lbs according the Philmont 2002 Itinerary Guide. Assuming your son is still growing, a person 6'7" tall or taller is allowed 295 lbs. At 6'5" the allowance is 274 lbs. This could be a problem for your son.

Everybody understands what Philmont is trying to do with these restrictions, but I would think that a very athletic teenager would be cut a little more slack. If and when that day arrives, you need to contact Philmont directly. I think the main concern is to keep people who are obviously not fit and might be at risk off the trail.

I have lost 20lbs since the first of the year to qualify for my trek this summer.

When I saw the subject line I immediately was thinking at the OTHER end of the scale -- my son is about to be 11 years old, weighs 60 pounds (fully dressed) and is about 52 inches tall.

LOL

Even if your Scout is really physically fit - the max weight restrictions are enforced... why? Because that is the max weight the rescue equipment is designed to accomodate.

If someone gets hurt out on the trails they need to be able to get to them and get them back.(This message has been edited by SouthPoleScout)

SouthPoleScout makes a valid point about rescue equipment. Hmmm...is this grounds for litigation under the Americans with Disabilities Act?

Concerning the 60 pound eleven year old, there is a "recommended range" although the shortest height in Philmont's scale is 5'0". The issue for small and skinny people on a Philmont crew is their ability to carry their share of crew gear and food given the maximum limitation for them on backpack weight.

Eisely,

Where is this minimum height listed? I did not see it in the link that was posted earlier. Like sctmom, my son is short for his age but he would love to attend Philmont.

I think the minimum height is implied by their chart that starts at 5 feet.

There is a comment about hikers must be able to carry 40 or 50 pounds. Obviously my 60 pounder isn't going to carry 40 pounds of gear anywhere!

Sctmom,

Thanks. The implied minimum makes sense. By the way, your son still has 3 years of growth before even considering Philmont since the minimum age is 14 (or finished 8th grade).

The information that I am looking at in the 2002 Itinerary Guide does not specify a minimum height. The narrative does say, "Every Philmont trek involves hiking with a 35-50 lb backpack between 6,500 and 12,500 feet elevations. Philmont recommends that participants carry a pack weighing no more than 25%-30% of their body weight."

As I noted above, this does not provide much carrying capacity for anyone under 120 lbs. The adult leader who led our council contingent two years ago led a coed crew. One of the girls weighed only 90 lbs. She was not able to carry much more than her own personal gear. While that group cheerfully shouldered the extra burden for this one person, if you have four out of a crew of twelve this small, you have a problem.