Tiger Cubs in Blue Uniforms this Fall

Two comments:

1) Maybe, just maybe, Packs can get a huge "hand-me-down" uniform closets going ... and loan for the Tiger year these shirts, pre-done with unit numerals and CSPs. That way, parents don't have to fork out for a shirt that'll be outgrown waaaayyy too early.

2) Ditto on all other Cub and Scout uniforms (I've already sent to the local closet my son's first two Scout shirts, one pair of shorts, and one pair of trousers.)

John

I just received my CM postcard from BSA Supply Division today:

"It's official! Beginning August 1, 2004, the official uniform for all Tiger Cub Scouts will be the complete blue Cub Scout uniform with identifiable and appropriate Tiger Cub insignia. ... This change will be key in your summer and fall recruiting and round-up plans. ... The Tiger Cub adult partner will continue to wear the orange Tiger Cub t-shirt. And the orange Tiger Cub t-shirt is still available for Tigers Cubs. It now becomes the perfect activity shirt for casual wear and for certain Tiger Track Adventures."

www.scoutstuff.org will have monthly updates on this new change through August -- check out the News Briefs section.

I have now checked with District and Council professionals from 8 councils and none recieved any info from National regrading the uniform change. I talked with three National Scout Shops and they "heard" about it but none had anything in writing.

Last week I sat with a local professional as he called the Cub Scout Division at National Headquarters. They had nothing in writing yet and knew of nothing that had gone out. But they did say that a brochure for fall recruitment was just produced and they were sending us a copy. It will have all the info in it.

Since then I understand some of our local Cubmasters have received a postcard with some of the uniform info in it.

Here is what we were told by the Cub Scout Division of the national office.

The Tigers will now wear the blue Cub Uniform as of August 1st.

There will be an orange neckerchief and pocket instant recognition bead thong.

The orange T-shirts and sweatshirts will remain available for the adult partners and for the scouts as an activity uniform.

The tan Boy Scout shirt can only be worn by the leaders and by Webelos Scouts...NOT by Tigers Wolves or Bears at any time.

Hope this helps.

Bob White

There's a lot of whining in this thread about the high price of uniforms. They are expensive, but think about this:

1) First, you buy the shirt big - it works fine-my older son is on his third year with the same blue shirt. If it gets too small then , I'll gen him a tan shirt (he'll be in Webelos next year) Two shirts in 4 years? What's the problem?

2) I'm not affiliated with National, but it seems to me that the price of the uniforms is most likely dictated by the fact that they're made in the USA by union workers who make as much per hour as teachers. BSA could have them made in Bangadesh for about 1/4 the price, and you all would have a whole new issue to complain about...

3) Bought a video game for your boy lately? What did it set you back, $30-40? Are you a smoker? If so how much do you spend on cigarettes a month?

My point is that we typically buy things that are a lot more expensive and a lot less beneficial for our kids (and ourselves),and don't complain about the price.

4) Finally, I am personally thrilled with the idea that the uniform is integrated with the rest of the Pack. The younger guys like the blue uniform and want to wear it - I've had more than one Tiger express his disappointment that he had to wear the T-shirt.

"A Scout is ... cheerful"

• 3 months later...

I am about to sign my son up for the tiger cubs and we were both bummed to find out that he was going to wear a t-shirt and not the uniform. So now if this is true it is a great change. The tigers will now feel like they are as special as the others. I have yet to find out the cost but in the long run I think it would be worth it to be able to have my son feel like he is really a part of the scouts.

• 2 weeks later...

My younger son, who jealously watched his older brother participate in Tigers and Cubs for two years, was so proud when he got to wear his new blue Tiger uniform. I asked if he wanted an orange Tiger T-shirt, as an activity shirt or to wear under the blue shirt, and he refused wanting only the blue shirt. Knowing that he would be joining the pack, I got his uniform ready early and the other leaders were pleased as punch that he wore it to the SNFS recruiting meeting to show the other prospecitve Tigers and their parents. The only problem was that he could not have a Den patch, since the CM had not assigned the new Tiger Den numbers until they knew how many Tigers they would have! He is thrilled to be a "real Cub Scout" and kept pestering me to get a "brag vest" too, since we have already started accumulating activity patches. So we headed out to the local Scout Shop to pick that up, too.

I wonder why the BSA does not just make the "Brag Vest" an official, if optional part of the Cubs and Boy Scout uniforms, since all the Scout Shops sell them, yet, technically, they are not allowed to wear them for ceremonies which require "official uniform" only.

"I wonder why the BSA does not just make the "Brag Vest" an official, if optional part of the Cubs and Boy Scout uniforms, since all the Scout Shops sell them, yet, technically, they are not allowed to wear them for ceremonies which require "official uniform" only.

What is your source for that information? I am not familiar with that. Please identify a ceremony that requires "official uniform only".

BW

I think that the beauty of the "brag vest" lies in it being unofficial. Sure, it's gear bought from the Scout shop, but not a uniform item.

If it were a uniform item, I'm sure that someone, somewhere would regulate which patches would be worn and where on the vest.

As it stands, you can do whatever you want with it.

Be careful what you wish for . . .

Unc.