Should Scouts Get Reimbursed?

You see in my council, Scouts were promised that they could get the climbing merit badge. Then once at camp, the camp director decided to then tell the Scouts that there were age requirements. Had to be 14 to climb. Same thing at the rifle range. The summer camp literature stated that Scouts could shoot a 22. Then once they arrived, then they were told that there was a new 13 yr old age requirement to even go to open shoot. Those age requirements are not listed in the mb requirements, the guide to safe scouting nor the summer camp manual. It was simply "surprise" you can't go for the badge.

Of course there was the lack of staff which kept areas closed; motor boats that never entered the water (yet merit badges were earned); fees charged for the cooking merit badge of $8 bucks for the food the scouts were supposed to cook, yet no food was ever secured by the those in charge of the camp, so the scouts simply had to scramble an egg and received credit for the entire cooking part of the badge.

The council is unprepared for summer camp and has been for many years now. Should these Scouts get reimbursed for the council not delivering on their summer camp promises that the Scouts paid for?

Absolutely.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I might have reconsidered my decision if everyone was taking the guard training, but if you are the only one, that means you're the only one that doesn't swim ever,... at any swim activity,... until your certificate runs out.

Remember this was 50 years ago and the swim requirements aren't the same as they are today. Everyone swam and everyone took turns being swimming lookout, which was a scout that didn't swim but watched others. Taking turns meant at least most of the time you got some time in the water. If you were a certified LG, then there was no need for any lookouts and so you were expected to be permanent lookout. Nothing fair about that. I could have gotten my certificate and then never said anything to the SM. That would be just as dishonest as getting permanently delegated as "volunteer non-swimmer" for every swim activity. Want to be the lad that gets blamed every time for a swim activity that gets cancelled because you didn't want to stand on shore all afternoon watching everyone else play in the lake?

Your mileage may vary,

Stosh

Calico,

My camp lists its own age requirements in the leaders' guide - requirements the camp has imposed for reasons that include physical readiness, maturity and keeping classes small (i.e., because of a limited amount of equipment or space). The age requirements are noted in the schedule with blue and purple type that stands out on the page, so no one can miss it. There are restrictions on 13 out of 46 badges.

The BSA Lifeguard requirements aren't listed in the Handbook. But they are listed in the Requirements book, AFAIK - and they're online. There's no excuse for the adult leaders or the Scouts to be unaware of them.

Nor, I should note, is there any excuse for an ineligible Scout to make it through three days of the class before the instructor finds out.

Agree with Seattle, not impressed. Nothing against your mother, but Its really disingenuous to talk anyone out of accomplishing anything because of perceived or real responsibility that may come from it. You dont have to do anything, regardless of the certification or otherwise. This eerily sounds like an argument I hear frequently over sheepskins. Sad.