Asking for Donations at Camp Worship Service

Jblake, I couldn't agree with you more, well said. Only as it relates to donations, I think this is something best done at the scout's place of worship back in town.

I've traditionally viewed the chaplain's role in the camp services as his/her ministry to the scouts. Usually there is no overhead to an outdoor service, or the cost is minimal and absorbed by other avenues than passing the hat.

I've got to admit my military experiences factor in my opinion as well. I've never seen a military chaplain pass a collection plate at a deployed location either.

I recently returned from camp with my troop and attended my first "Scout's Own" service. First time I had experienced a "Scout's Own," in my day it was just "interdemoninational" or "non-denominational" worship. I don't personally get a lot out of these as they are pretty foreign to my own faith practice, and I don't feel particularly comfortable reading prayers from certain other faith traditions, but I realize they have their place and it's important to keeping reverent while at camp.

I bring this up because it was the first time I'd ever seen the hat passed at a camp worship service, and while I gave because the appeal was for camperships, I still found it a bit odd. The scouts were not notified about this beforehand, and I know a lot of them (especially the younger guys) didn't have much pocket money left, if they had anything at all. It just struck me as a bit out of place. I can't really tell you why, but it seemed strange to me.

The situation initially cited here seems completely inappropriate, as I believe in the spirit of a "let's not offend anyone" Scout's Own service, it's more appropriate to use the funds for a scouting purpose, or a charitable purpose, not to produce religious prayer cards, which for a good portion of campers would not be useful or acceptable.

Let's consider what offerings are used for. In many places, it's used to help fund the operations of the church. In others where there might be a good investment fund that funds the operations of the church, it may be used to fund good works elsewhere. In some, it's used to fund specific capital needs. For some, its used to buy those little testaments that are sent to Scout camps, etc. All of these are worthwhile projects.

At Scout Camp? I think it becomes a little more complicated. That's not to say that it is a bad idea, just that there are some other considerations to take in to account. The first that pops into mind is that there is minimal cost to the camp to run the interfaith services. The camp may hire a chaplain to run the service once a week, but chances are good the chaplain is a volunteer. Also, the chapel is likely (and should be) an outdoor chapel where the upkeep costs are minimal (most of which, such as replacing log benches, etc. can be done during OA work weekends during or prior to camp).

The second is that, as mentioned by others, not all traditions pass a collection plate, so if it is an interfaith service for all faiths of every kind, there needs to be some sensitivity to all the faiths traditions. I think it needs to be explained well and that in this case, it would be much more appropriate if the collected funds were sent elsewhere - and while folks have mentioned worthy causes such as the World Friendship Fund, or the Gulf or Haiti disaster relief funds, I'd probably lean more towards a local fund - a local food bank, or volunteer fire/ambulance departments(most of our camps are in rural areas - bet most of those fire departments/ambulance services are volunteer), or local Red Cross office, or even a local literacy program. I think that would be great publicity for the Scouts and the Camp that over the summer, the Scouts that attended Camp Boy Scout collected $1,000 at the Scout's Own services for whatever local program it goes to. Talk about developing positive community relations!

I think it should also be suggested that before the Scouts are brought to the service, that the SPL or SM let the lads know that a collection plate will be passed, that no one is under any obligation or pressure to donate, that the money will be earmarked for whatever the charity is (announced in advance), that it is strictly voluntary, that 50 cents or a dollar is perfectly appropriate to give but if one wants to contribute more, they can, and that the SM/"bank" have a small wad of singles to loan to Scouts who haven't had a chance to break higher denomination bills yet (or can get in on a pool of Scouts and one person makes the contribution for the whole Troop - say a Unit has 20 people all agreeing to give a dollar, and one person drops in a $20 and everyone pays that person their $1 later as an example).

As for the prayer cards - I do like the idea of them, but I think I'd prefer that they already be made up and that they be available as "souvenirs" for anyone who would like one at a minimal cost (say $1 if the card costs less than $1 each to make) both at the end of the service and at the Trading Post throughout the week, with perhaps the "profits" being used either to add to the charitable donation, or to be used for a chaplaincy campership.

I don't think I would send a letter complaining about the practice - I would send a letter suggesting changes in the practice so that people aren't caught unaware, and that there is more meaning to any collections made. As a Scout, I would probably have felt pressure to put something in the basket, if only from my peers who are putting something in the basket possibly because they're feeling pressure from the rest of us because we're putting something in the basket(vicious circle), but I wouldn't be impressed with what the money was going to. As an adult, I wouldn't give any money to a collection with this as a cause and would probably feel the same way as dScouter - bothered but unsure what to do about it. When I was a Scout, and now as an adult, if the basket was being passed and I was told it was going to go to the local fire department, I'd happily put money in the basket, and more than the suggested donation.

The plate has been passed in the chapels of my Council Scout Camps for at least the past decade.

When I go to Philmont, the plate is passed both in chapel at PTC and in chapel at backcountry HQ

Giving your time, talents and treasure is a given in every faith community I know(This message has been edited by John-in-kc)

Just as one example, many Jewish congregations do not pass a collection plate during services. Even among more liberal sects, it has its roots in the Orthodox practice of not handling money on the Sabbath.

So as John says, the function is common to many faiths. It's the form that may be utterly unfamiliar, bewildering and even intimidating.

FWIW, I've never attended a summer camp or district or council camporee that took a collection at an interfaith service.

Inappropriate. A more-appropriate way would be to set a donation box up by the cash register at the trading post. Let each person decide on their own and in their own time. Better yet, let them mail their donations anonymously after they get home. They would be free to give whatever they freely decide to give, based on their own conscience.

I'd like for the scouts to know ahead of time if a collection would be taken up. I totally see the problem of a kid opening his wallet and having only 2 twenties.

The prayer cards seem like a minimal expense for a huge collection. Unless this week was the only one giving to that cause. The World Friendship Fund seems like a much better choice for this kind of giving. But I could go along with other causes easily.

Nah, it ain't cool asking the scouts for money.

I figure that - since the service, Scout's Own, or whatever you want to call it - is part of the camp program. It's sanctioned by BSA and the camp too. It's on camp property , held at a pre dertimined time during camp activities...and while not specificallly written down, it is a somewhat expected attendance activity.

It should be covered under camp expenses and camp budget.

None of our camps have done a collection during the faith service. At least none that I have ever been at.

They HAVE announced at flags, when there has been a collection jar at a specific site, for a specific purpose.

Personally, I feel what dScouter15 described was a bit tacky.

In my experience, collecting money at a worship service is a very Christian thing to do. And I mean that in several different ways.

I've never had a problem in contributing to the World Friendship Fund at a Woodbadge or other event Scout's Own service. However, I agree with many of the above comments that it is inappropriate to ask for money from youth at at summer camp service.

But, I've seen far worse faux pas at scout services. As long as they don't ask us all to pray in the name of a specific deity, I'm good.

...a very Christian thing...

and Presbyterian, especially, in particular. I mean, all that forgiving our debts as we are forgiving our debtors...really. Gotta hand it to 'em, at least they're honest about it.

As Rush Limbaugh (a.k.a. Mammon) says, "It's all about money". So true, so true.