Our troop has "inherited" a case (24) of Devil's Food Jiffy cake mixes. Does anyone have any different and unique recipes to use on a campout? We want to try something different than just chocolate cake. Thanks for the help!

Dale

Dutch oven "black forest cake":

Use a liner in the dutch oven and some water under the liner to keep the cake moist. Use a can of cherry pie filling either on top of the cake batter, or put in half batter, filling, then other half of batter, I've tried it done both ways.

Dutch oven berry cobbler - I would think this would work with a devils food cake mix as well as a yellow

I've not actually made it either way, yet (just bought my first dutch oven this past Saturday) but have seen it made and the bite that was left for me was good

Lined dutch oven with foil, used two bags (around 16oz I think) mixed berries thawed, poured dry cake mix over the top, and added 7up to moisten. We cooked with the coals from dinner while we ate dinner

In response to Sephrina's posting: We make a similar cobler without the tin foil.

The troop used to line the dutch ovens when we made this and other similar coblers but we found that the tin foil is not necessary. Actually, we found clean up is quicker and easier without the tin foil if the dutch oven is properly seasoned. With tin foil, if any of the juice does get under the lining it burns on really hard. If the whole desert burns on the bottom, which is rare, it just seems to peel away easily in one big chunk.

The added benefit is nothing needs to go into the landfill.

Dessert for thought ... er I meant food.