Scout Does not like Camping

What would you do with a Scout that does not like camping?

He likes the rest of the program, he just does not like sleeping in a sleeping bag, sleeping outside in a tent, etc.

He does go with us when we do cabin camping, just not with tents.(This message has been edited by OldGrayOwl)

In our Troop, camping is a major part of our program. We balance it with mainly tent and only two cabin campouts so that a Scout cant get away with that. Maybe you all need to cut back some on your cabin camping to head that off? Its lots cheaper too!

I would assume this is an older Scout? I wouldnt worry about a younger one too much unless hes trying to shortcut some of his advancement requirements. But as he gets up there in rank he needs to be active to perform his POR and part of that would include tent camping. One leads into another. (OA eligibility, Camping MB.) The next time he steps up for a POR, a meeting between him, SPL & SM/ASM, would be warranted to make sure he realizes this commitment. If he grins and bears it and does what is expected, so be it. If he wont then he needs replaced and advancement stops until he changes his mind. His decision.

OGO,

Doesn't sound like real Scout material yet to me, but we can't give up on a boy just because he doesn't like camping. My best advice would be to get him interested in all things outdoors, e.g., hiking, backpacking, fishing, canoeing, sailing, swimming, cooking, etc., so that he'll have to learn to like camping in order to do other outdoor activities.

You might also help educate him about outdoor critters. It sounds like he might be afraid of sleeping outdoors with racoons, possums, skunks, bugs, snakes, etc...

Good luck!

Scouts come in all flavors.

I would make sure he gets all the opportunities he can. Not every Scout will LIKE or PARTICIPATE in every activity. That is his choice.

I think there are enough possibilities in Scouting to include your boy. Let him find his own level. Camping is a big part, but not the end-all be-all, surely.

I think it depends on how fundamental a method you consider "outdoors" to be. I know this has been (and is) an issue in our troop. In fact, paint ball has recently become an issue because an older Scout, who doesn't really like camping or hiking or swimming or canoeing or climbing or biking or . . .

. . . does like paint ball.

If "Scouting is 3/4 outing", well then "Sc" isn't about enough to bother with.

While I don't buy into B-P's 'religion of nature', I do think that there is something fundamental about actually experiencing nature, in the sense of nights and bugs and dust and coyote howls and rocks and creeks and trees and owls and bats and so on, as opposed to READING about environmentalism and global warming and putting a green sticker on the bumper.

B-P said Scouting without the patrol method was not Scouting at all. But I suspect it never occurred to him that anyone would try to do stuff without a real experience of the outdoors and call it, "Scouting".

But, then in his day there weren't so many unfit SM's: even if they were chubby, they could walk 10 miles!

GaHillBilly

What I would do is find out why the Scout does not like camping. I would "peel back the onion" to get to the core of what his problem is.

For example, ask him why he does not sleeping in a sleeping bag. He may answer, that it is uncomfortable. Then, ask him why it is uncomfortable - and he may say, because the ground is too hard or cold. Then ask him why the ground is too hard or cold and he may say his sleeping pad is too thin or you may find he doesn't even have one. This is now something specific that the troop can address through skills instruction, instead of the nebulus, "I don't like camping."

You may find out in the end that he just doesn't like camping - the whole package deal. But, at least you tried. Its one of the methods of scouting and its tied a lot of requirements for advancement, which is also a method.

I don't think you "do" anything. Eventually, it's a self-leveling problem.

The program is designed that any boy can participate and get from it what he wants. This fellow will find his own level sooner or later. That may mean that he learns to like or at least tolerate camping enough to satisfy the minimal requirements. It may also mean he chooses to leave the program.

Now and again you hear of a Scout like this who still suceeds in Scouting. Eagle only requires 20 nights camping. But it's not likely. Ultimately, if the boy doesn't go camping he's going to feel left out, miss out on the commraderie and friendship camping builds, have difficulty advancing, have a difficult time serving in positions of responsibility and showing active participation. My guess is that sooner or later he drops out.

And that's okay too. While Scouting is made for every boy, not every boy is made for Scouting.

As far as I can tell, having just reviewed the current requirements, a scout who refuses to camp will not make it past "Scout". Tenderfoot, Second Class and First Class all require camping. He will not be eligible for OA. I would not approve him to be an SPL or PL, since in order to lead, you have to show up. I guess he could fulfill the POR by being a perennial Librarian, Scribe, or Den Chief (but even Cub Scouts camp once in awhile). So, my question to him would be, "what's the point"? Perhaps his time would be better spent in the Chess Club at school.

Edited part: Before I get jumped on with both feet, I realize that Scouting is not ONLY about advancement. Kids can have fun without badges, and I would welcome that, as long as he's not a detrimental influence. Just so he and his parents are clear up front.(This message has been edited by scoutldr)

Avid has a point -

I used to not just hate - despise winter camping. As a boy, and still as an adult, I hate being cold. But I never learned well enough the many ways to stay warm. And because we lacked the money, I didn't have good winter gear. So therefore, I would do anything I could to get out of winter campouts.

Maybe there's something similar to this, or spiders, or raccoons, or skunks terrifying him in the back of his mind.

Go slow on turning this one I suggest.

The issue could be a serious as a spine condition that hurts in beds of the wrong softness and he intuitively knows that camping will be just plain painful

Could be that Uncle ?? molested him when he was 4 years old playing tents with a sheet over the dining room table - he remembers that tents are not good.

Serious things like this may not be known by parents - I've stumbled on similar to both those scenarios.

Or it could be something real simple. Maybe if a parent also campoed it may reassure him. He may get sick of missing the adventure with the others. He may crave advancement.

All you need to do is gently encourage and dig ask about his reasons a little. His decision in the end. Help him take small steps. If he balks offer even smaller steps. Chances are that he will try something real basic and will then join in with no problem from then on. Just go slow and gently. It is important enough in my book to try until there is success or until he leaves Scouting.

Scouting is about outdoor activities not about camping. There are lots of adventures you can have outdoors without sleeping outdoors.

Some leaders need to alter their way of viewing what outdoor activities are. Keep in mind that a boy can advance all the way to Life Scout having only spent three nights sleeping outdoors. That doesn't mean he didn't explore caves, go cycling, hike through mountains, walk on glaciers, water ski, snow ski, canoe, kayak, sail, swim, rappel, go orienteering, etc. etc....camping is just sleeping outside.

Let's stop making where one sleeps more important than having an active outdoor experience through Scouting.(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Well, in talking to him, he wants to drop out. We (his SPL and I), are trying to get him to understand that Scouting is not just about camping, but a lot of other activities. He seems to be a loner, not one that likes to socialize with others.

He also seems to be having a problem with youth leadership. He has told me that the adults can do a much better job of running meetings, Scout outings, etc. than the youth, so why have the youth do it. (I have explained to both him and his parents about youth leadership and why BSA does it the way that they do. His parents understand, but the Scout does not. (I guess that since he is home schooled and his circle of friends is limited to those younger than he is has a lot to do with it, but I am only guessing.