Are you a backpacker or a car camper?

Please don't say "both"; where does your heart lie? This may be a "boxers vs. briefs" equivalent...

As I mentioned in another thread, we just got back from Spring Camporee. Advertised as a "light weight camp", we weren't allowed to bring patrol boxes, propane tanks, coolers, or the other flotsam and jetsam that fills every nook and cranny of our supply hut.

We're proud of that stuff and how well-turned-out our patrols are. We get away from it all -- and take it all with us, too! We eat like kings, with up to 5 Dutch Ovens going at the same time, 20-lb propane tanks with each patrol, gigantic umbrella-like freestanding gazebos as rain flys (flies?), etc., etc., etc. Now, we had to leave it all behind, get backpacking stoves, change the way we plan menus, and actually rough it...comparatively speaking. Now, we've done a little of this, but if you had to categorize us, we are definitely "car campers"!

Well, we didn't own backpacking stoves, so our committee reimbursed our Scouts for half the cost if they went out and bought one. They bought all the gas canisters for the Scouts, too, and we planned mainly retort packaged foods that we provided, with every Scout planning his own meals (maybe with a patrol buddy) and getting himself whatever he needed beyond the retorts we provided.

I thought our lads would raise cain over not having the Dutch ovens, coolers, fried chicken, lasagna, biscuits, cinnamon rolls, and all the other stuff they normally eat, and I was smug in assuming that they couldn't wait for the next campout to go back to the way we normally did it. I took an informal poll, and they not only liked using the backpacking stoves, but many prefer it to the patrols boxes and ten tons of gear we usually take.

I found this surprising, but maybe I shouldn't have. On reflection, from their perspective, the food procurement was easier, the cleanup at camp was easier, less manual labor setting up/tearing down camp, they cook/eat when they're ready rather than when they're told to, and they get to operate this cool gadget (that novelty may wear off).

Okay, what's your experience? Are you primarily car campers or backpackers? What do you see as the pluses and minuses of each? What do your Scouts prefer, and why? And, this doesn't have to be either/or, I realize. Your thoughts, please...one of my fundamental beliefs has been shaken to the core.

KS

We are still car campers. It takes 3 trucks to carry all our gear. However, we are slowly moving to becoming a backpacking unit. Takes time but we'll get there.

Our PLC and Crew Officers discovered last year that we get more camp time, 2 times a month, when we backpack compared to car camp, once a month. It's alot easier and faster.

Matua

We do both, although personally I tend to prefer backpacking or canoe camping. We just had a very successful car camping event, a "pre camporee" where we practiced our skills and trained younger scouts. For that kind of training situation, where you have to have a lot of gear, you can't really backpack. You need your wood and ropes for pioneering, materials for a compass course, first aid stuff, etc etc. IMHO, a healthy well rounded program includes both backpacking and car camping. By the way, we ate very high off the hog too. I am still full and it is getting late Sunday evening.

KS, you missed a few...my preferance

Ultra lite backpacking, plus canoe camping, plus vertical/alpine (nothing like sleeping and cooking on a porta ledge), plus cycling (wilderness touring on a mountain bike, plus primative camping (nothing but a gourd canteen, a knife, a wool blanket, flint and steel, 3 000 calories of food to last 3 to 5 days carried in a haversack, and the clothes on one's back)....can't stand the weight, cost, complexity and the loss of freedom that comes with car camping.

However, I can understand car camping for a new unit that's learning the ropes, but after the first year they should start weaning theirselves away from their vehicles as soon as possible...it's one of the reasons I refuse to attend camporees as it was like camping in a parking lot. Just not my cup of tea.

Car Camper. I did High Adventure for 6-10 years with the Backpack Stoves, freeze dried food, etc, but eventually the size of kids I had made this no longer practical. However even when we were doing it we mixed in car camplng. On Saturday morning we would use the big Coleman Gas Stove and Dutch Ovens to cook a big breakfast before we left.

Me or the troop?

I personally am firmly in the Backpacking catagory. However car camping is fun and has its charms. Oh, and I eat just fine thank you very much. With a little ingenuity you can eat almost anything backpacking that you can car camping.

Our troop is a camping troop. That is, all kinds of camping. We mix it up. I have boys of all stripes, some love to backpack some hate it. We accomodate as many different methods as we have volunteers with the hard skills necessary to each method.

Car camping cons:

Have to transport a bunch of stuff.

Where to store your stuff. Overflowing garage syndrome

Maintenance on said stuff

Long set up and tear down times.

Tied to one location while camping

Less of a connection to nature (IMHO)

Doesn't build physical fitness

Car camping pros:

easy buy in from the boys

requires less intensive training

Ability levels less of a concern

huge options in menu

very comfy

bad weather isn't as big an issue

you can thourghly explore your location.

Don't have to be as concerned with unprepared Scouts. (carry extra stuff)

Backpacking Cons:

Sometimes a difficult buy in from Scouts

menu become more limited

Smaller boys have a hard time starting out

Sometimes the older Scouts develop an unhealthy "gung-ho" attitude

perception that it is expensive (and will be if you let it)

Parental concerns are heightened

Requires more training before attempting

Leaders MUST be good judges of the ability levels of Scouts

Bad weather is a bigger concern

If you aren't careful it can break down the patrol method

Backpacking pros:

I keep all my stuff in the closet. It takes up as much space as, oh, say, a backpack?

Easy in - easy out

Builds physical fitness

develops a stronger connection to nature

explore wider/new areas.

Can strengthen the patrol method

Teaches the differences between wants and needs best.

But really, it's all good.

• 3 weeks later...

Good Post KoreaScouter!

I would say our troop is a car camping troop - with leanings toward a backpacking troop.

Our troop's history says it is/was a "high adventure" troop - and this "reputation" is hard to live down - especially when they did their 'high adventure' NOT under BSA guidelines, and only recruited boys from other troops for these trips - they didn't TRAIN boys for the trips.

Now we are trying to teach the older boys to teach the new recruits how to camp, plan, etc. And we still have some adults who think the "only" way should always be light backpacking, leave-no-trace, no frills camping. When most of the younger boys can barely heft their school packs, how can they haul a 30-40lb pack on their back? and what motivates them to WANT to?

I just don't see that as appealing to the 11 and 12 yr olds who have only been "camping" in their parents camper!?!

At that age, most of them are not interested in "personal challenge" or testing themselves, or increasing their stamina - they just want to get out and explore without mom and dad!

Once they learn some camping skills, and the involvement (and WORK) of setting up and taking down camp has started to wear off, THEN they start to see the benefit of paring down and traveling light. but roughing it too soon often takes the romance out of camping and just makes it miserable. they aren't prepared - and only practice and experience camping can make them be prepared.

i see value in learning many kinds of camping appropriate to the situation. and yes, camporees can seem like multifamily housing in a field, or those family campgrounds with campers with A/C and TV's, patio lights and beer - but they also promote comraderie between units, exposure to new ideas, and the oppportunity to make new friends.

Variety is GOOD!

lauraT

The Troop I was just with was more than a "car camping" Troop, they were several cars and a trailer camping Troop.. and they're about to add even MORE stuff to probably another trailer, I don't know... lol

I haven't been camping with the new Troop yet.

On a more personal family level, my husband definitely prefers backpacking to the car camping. He complains every time we do family camping because if I go, that ensures lots more "stuff." He just forgets that when I go, it means the 2yr old goes, too and of course she needs more "stuff!"

I grew up in a car camping troop that occasionally backpacked. I enjoyed both.

I was a Scoutmaster of a car camping troop. We didn't buy a trailer, although there was talk of it.

Then I went to a Marriott. Now I'm that kind of camper. :)

DS

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a pro camping guy, I do it all. I really don't think any one type of camping is the end all-be all form of outdoor recreation. I enjoy backpacking, but I also enjoy sensible car camping. My troop once had nice reasonably small chuckboxes, until some adult said "Hey, you can't fit your dining fly, stove, and box legs in there! I'll fix that!" and added another half width addition to the back of the boxes making them weigh about as much as a volkswagon. Now none of the kids can even move them without three or four extra guys helping. Needless ot say we don't use them as much anymore. I think that we lost sight of what we camp for. When I'm camping within walking distance of the cars I like to use the gear that blends comfort and convienience the best. Rectangular sleeping bags, dutch ovens, two burner stoves, and full size tents are all fine. If a piece of equipment is more of a pain than a pleasure I'll leave it home next time. When I'm backpacking though I like lighter gear. I use a one man micro-tent and mummy bag, and try to be as light as possible without loosing a big degree of comfort. I generally enjoy fixed camps just as much as backpacking, if not a little more. Although canoeing has appeal to me to because you can carry a little more comfortable gear without any extra strain. Camping in it's self is fun, but when you aren't burdened by making deadlines and distances then, like in a camp-o-ree, you can practice skills other than those directly related to camp routine. I like other things like swimming, pioneering, and nature observation too and sometimes hiking can hinder that to some degree, although it can be made to work around that with a little planning. Overall car camping requires the least preperation and can be quite fun if you like doing other things, but if hiking and accomplishing a mile goal is what you hike for than that's fine too. Scouting is perfect for me because I do like all the forms of camping that we do. If I could only do one kind it would soon become boring and I wouldn't enjoy it as much.