Name strip/tape colors

I'm looking to order some new name tapes for my uniform and also for my son...

With the "old" uniform, I have a standard military desert tan with brown letters and it doesn't look out of place.

On the new uniform, since I'm ordering new, would it be more appropriate to have

1) green on tan to match the number strips,

2) red on tan to match the BSA and interpreter strips?....

3) stick with the brown on tan and claim I'm color blind

And no, plastic name tags aren't an option, so please don't bring up that discussion... Those things are great for indoor Scouters, but we do too much backpacking and high adventure to consider something that's going to poke holes in my chest or a magnet that's going to fall off whenever I adjust my pack straps...

And yes, I'm aware of the "no military clothing" edicts. This isn't military clothing or insignia. It is my name on a piece of webbing. It's no more military than the flag on my shoulder...

Thanks in advance...(This message has been edited by eolesen)

Why do you need a name strip at all? A nametag is not a required part of the uniform. I suggest the following:

Troop meetings, COHs, indoor functions - official plastic nameplate, which goes on the right pocket flap unless you are an OA member with lodge flap on the pocket flap

Campouts, backpack trips, canoeing, etc. - no nameplate, name strip, or pins required.

If you absolutely feel you must - red on tan. I agree that the nameplates are not always practical and know many people would like BSA to offer a cloth option. So far they have not listened to volunteer opinions on this.

Why wear my name? At camp, I often forget my own name by the third or fourth day. If I collapse in a heap somewhere due to snakebite or heat exhaustion, they know whose body they've found.

Lots of other practical reasons, the least of which is so other people knowing who they're talking to. With a namestrip, I don't have to re-introduce myself to the new parent who has obviously been drinking from a firehose and can't possibly remember everyone they've been introduced to, or someone who might not recognize me if I haven't shaved for two weeks (or if they've only been introduced to me when I hadn't shaved for two weeks).

As for my son... he's known for misplacing things, so having his name on the outside leaves little doubt that he has his shirt, and someone else doesn't. Putting a name on the inside keeps the honest boys honest, and makes moms happy. It's a little more involved to remove a cloth strip with 10 stitches to the inch.

http://perretstapes.com/images/DESERT.jpg(This message has been edited by eolesen)

Even though I think the green ands tan would look better, Go with white lettering on a black background to match the color of the nametag you would buy if you were buying it from the scout shop.

Or white lettering on red background if you have that type of position within the council.

Interesting idea.

I just bought the official nametag and wore it to our last pack meting of the year. Several leaders commented on it, and suggested we might think about it for all leaders next year.

I do see your point though, about it falling off with backpacks or high activity.

I like the idea of embroidered or sewn on.

based on "the guide though, I too would suggest white lettering on black to match the "official plate".... although i think that some color on tan(shirt color) would look better. I also think that first and last names look less "military" than last name only.

Too bad you couldn't get the little Fleur de lis embroidered in front of the name for a better match to the official name plate! If you find a source to do that, let us know. I might like to order one....

Thanks for the inputs so far, even those who continued to argue in favor of plastic name tags, although I'd said in my original posting it's not an option I want to consider. Some arguments for and against are in http://www.scouter.com/forums/viewThread.asp?threadID=271603

blw2, adding the FDL would be nice. It might be an option, and I'll let you know if it is.

Looking at samples, I'm leaning towards the green on tan. Higher contrast and probably going to hide dirt better than the red will.

On edit... here are some actual photos of my current shirt and a mockup of the different color options.(This message has been edited by eolesen)

• 1 month later...

I too want to get a sewn on name tag also for the same reasons as the OP mentioned. I found the local embroidery shop can do my first and last name and FDL for about $12. I think I'm going with white letters on black fabric and the same size font to match the nametag. I saw another guy at RT match the BSA strip (red on tan) and it looked like an interpreter strip.

If you have an old uniform shirt, you can have a seamstress cut it down and use it to embroider the name on. I saw a troop who did this. The border and lettering were in red thread. The tag was sewn on above the right pocket.