Temporary Patch -- basically anything that fits?

From the BSA Insignia Guide -

"Temporary insignia are issued for such events as summer camp, camporees, and Scouting shows. All temporary insignia must contain identification including one of the following: corporate name (Boy Scouts of America); corporate initials (BSA), BSA fleur-de-lis (universal with eagle or plain one-color), "Venturing BSA", or "Venturing"."

and

"The general rule is that badges awarded by organizations other than the Boy Scouts of America may not be worn on an official uniform. This includes military medals and service ribbons."

Bart,

As long as the patch fits, and doesn't either: a) already have a designated spot, or b) doesn't belong on an adult uniform (wearing an Eagle rank patch and saying its your "temp patch" wouldn't fly)...you should be good. Here's a link to the insignia guide, just scroll down to where it says temporary insignia:

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/Media/InsigniaGuide/03.aspx

YIS,

Ryan

Actually, NO it is NOT "anything that fits".

As per the quote for the BSA Insignia Guide that I posted, A temporary insignia patch MUST be issued/awarded by the BSA ONLY.

It has to contains some kind of BSA identification.

It can NOT be a "patch earned in another country as a result of an exchange", unless it is a BSA patch.

Well, this should be fun. The general notion that comes from the discussions here is that people wear whatever they darn well please. Many times, I think writers looking for a nob from someone else write seeking approval or "permission" from an expert. Good luck on that one, too.

BDPT00

Ok - here's the nod.

The regs are as ScoutNut posted.

Reality is that there is no such thing as a uniform police and no one of authority is unlikely to call you out over wearing a reasonable non-BSA marked temporary patch, unless the patch is so egregrious that they have no choice but to mention it. By person of authority, I mean the Scout Executive. By reasonable, I doubt even a Scout Executive would object to lads temporarily wearing a park service patch from a trip to Yellowstone National Park. Wearing the Playboy bunny? Yeah - that's gonna cross the line.

A Commissioner may mention it, but good Commissioner's just mention it in passing, not to demand that you remove the patch. After all, a Commissioner is just another volunteer - and really has no authority to take any action excpet maybe complain to the Scout Executive.

You might be confronted by a few volunteers that make up the unofficial so-called "Uniform Police". Best thing to do is to look them square in the eye, and tell them to go pound sand. That's right - I advocate not being polite to these dweebs because frankly, they aren't being polite in confronting you - and why give them the satisifaction of believing that you listened to them. A well-placed "leave my sight and never darken my visage again" message is sometimes needed to deal with these types of over-bearing volunteers.

Oops - there's that word again - volunteers - means they are no more important than you are. A 3-bead Woodbadger, a Silver Beaver holder, a Council President, is no more important than a brand new Tiger leader - in fact, I'm bold enough to suggest they may be less important in some respects because the new Tiger leader is going to set the stage for those Tigers to remain active in the program - and without youth in the program, there is no need for a Council President, a 3-bead Woodbadger, a Silver Beaver holder.

:) I'm thinking that the individual who tells the arrogant uniform police person to pound sand, might be lowering themselves down to the level of the originator of the problem. I'm thinking a more polite answer might be more in line with the Scout Law of Courteous.

"Thank you for noticing that. I'll take it under advisement and address the issue at a later date when I have the time to better deal with it."

Stosh

Scoutnut,

Allow me to clarify something, when I said "as long as it fits..." it was under the presumption that it was in some way a BSA issued/approved patch. Once again, I direct attention to the link I provided for the Uniform Insignia Guide (where I told the OP to go to Temporary Insignia)...it clearly states that the patch must have this, that, and the other (such as BSA, fleur-de-lis, etc.). I am not saying that just anything can be put there...simply, anything that fits within the specs that the insignia guide states.

YIS,

Ryan

"Wolf rank patch -- has a fleur-de-lis on it, so ok? "

Most insignia have an assigned spot on the uniform, and it's a pretty good rule of thumb that any insignia with an assigned position cannot be placed in the temporary insignia spot.

Wolf badge - Cub Scout, left pocket, position 2.

Also, the Insignia Guide indirectly makes the following statement about rank badges vs. temporary patches:

"Members may wear temporary patches (no badges of rank) on the back of the merit badges sash."

So, there is a distinction that separates the two.

Edited to add: All BSA-specific official uniform items have one of the required marks on it (has to do with lawyers and trademarks), but that doesn't make it a temporary insignia. It just means that those items without the marks (issued by another organization) may not be used as temporary insignia.(This message has been edited by nolesrule)