Do your Cubs wear uniforms to den & pack meetings?

We've been in a rather sloppy pack (in more ways than one), and the new leadership, which I am a part of, is trying to improve things. The Cubs have been wearing their uniforms to pack meetings and outings. I suggested a new pack policy that they wear them to den meetings. The Cubmaster & a couple other people do not want that change.

Their reasons:

1. Not what we've been doing.

2. Might turn someone away if they can't afford the shirt for their son. (The logical conclusion is to not use uniforming at all.)

3. It might be a burden on the parents who don't have time to go home before meetings.

4. The scouts won't like it.

I think we are missing out on a major element in scouting, and the boys aren't getting the sense of pride that the uniform gives.

What are the uniform rules & practices in your pack?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Cub Scouts are given two choices for den meetings:

1) Uniform

2) Pack T-Shirt and Rank hat.

That's it. I have some that always wear their uniforms and others that wear the T-shirt. The same applies to the adults--we can't expect the kids to dress a certain way then violate the dress code ourselves.

I relax the rules in the Spring, when baseball is in session. Some of the boys come directly from the ball field and I'd rather have them there in their baseball uniforms than not there at all. Theya re required to have their hat.

When I was a Cub, it was the uniform, period. Like in NJEM's case though, baseball season had instances where things were allowed to slip by. We always wore our uniforms for meetings though. That being said, neither my pack nor my troop ever had a unit t-shirt. Had we, that may have changed things. All that being said, this was nearly 20 years ago that I started in Cub Scouts, so things may have changed in that unit since then.

By the way, nice to see a fellow bean counter around.

Our pacj used to be a waist-up uniform pack. When the CC (me)and the Cubmaster decided to expect dark blue shorts or pants, there was some hardcore pushback from a few families, so I get what you saying. (We don't expect official Cub Scout uniform pants.)

When we were getting the word out to the families, I started wearing my uniform correctly, and required my son to wear the uniform correctly. Leadership sets the example. (My son doesn't like to wear his belt, but I tell him there's no reason to receive any belt loops if he doesn't wear the belt.)

We have a few den leaders who wear their uniform shirt and jeans, and no one fusses at them. But we are slowly making changes--the Pack is practically born anew every 5 years, as boys move on to the Troop. As the Old Guard graduates, the new ideas take root.

Depending upon what is going on determines uniform. Most Den and pack meetings and activities, it's the uniform. We are not 100% fully uniformed, but I am workign on that. However some activities will be a scout t-shirt. One example would be last nite's Cub Scout Olympics. Another was the PWD workshop.

Requiring certain pants is way beyond the realm of reality in our pack. I really don't care about that. I think blue jeans look good enough, and everyone has them. To me, navy blue looks different on different items of clothing, so it can look worse than jeans.

And I do take credit for the change in leadership wearing the uniform shirt to all meetings. When I joined, we had a cubmaster who only wore it to Blue & Gold and Crossover. One leader wore it to all meetings. Some leaders did not own a tan shirt; last year's cubmaster was in that category. (Sorry that some of you are passed out on the floor now.)

Our Pack wants the Cubs to wear uniforms to Pack meetings--most do. Most also wear them to den meetings. We are a shirt only (for the most part) Pack--leaders and cubs. Although it's a little late, I plan to get uniform pants and wear them until my Web 2's crossover (I'm Advancement chair in the troop they will go to, hopefully). My oldest crossed over in March, and I have been converted into the ways of the uniform.

When I was a cub (40yrs ago) we wore are uniforms to school on den meeting day. We were proud to be Cub Scouts and everyone did it.

Uniforms are part of the program, and boys should be expected to wear a complete and proper uniform. If you want uniforming to happen the adults need to be in a complete uniform. Adults need to not make any rules such as shirts only. Expect the whole uniform and it will happen. Having uniform inspections in Den and Pack meeting will encourage uniform wear.

I know uniforms are expensive and with young boys growing like they do this could mean a new uniform every year. However, there are ways packs can help with this problem.

A pack could form a uniform closet. Where there is a supply of used uniforms, a committee member would be responsible for the closet. The rules for the closet are simple. When a boy is new they purchase a uniform from the closet for a small fee. When they grow out of the uniform all they need to do is swap out the uniform, one for one. Have a fund so uniforms can be purchase for the closet. Then put the word out to leaders, parents, and friends of the pack to look for and purchase uniform items at garage sales, second hand store or from prior cub scouts. This will ensure a good supply of uniforms in the closet.

Note: I'm a strong believer that boys should not be left out of the program because they don't have a uniform. But I'm also a believer that once they have a uniform they should expected to wear it to all activities. The uniform closet take the excuse away that they can't afford a uniform.

"Do your Cubs wear uniforms to den & pack meetings?"

Yes. Required. At a minimum -- shirt, belt, and neckerchief. We encourage uniforms pants/shorts, but don't require it. Pack T-Shirts are worn in place of uniform shirts if the Den activity requires it.

Adult leadership is encouraged to be fully uniformed and lead by example.

Do we impose a penalty for not being in uniform? No, but we use positive reinforcement for those scouts that are in uniform. i.e., surprise uniform inspections with surprise gifts for those that are in uniform.

Way back when I worked for supply, I told new cubs, and their parents, that they wanted the uniform big enough so that they can grow into it, but without making them look like a clown. I have known Cub Scouts go through 3 years, before having to get a new uniform, and I know Cubs who are still wearing the Blue uniforms 4 and 5 years, who didn't opt to buy a Boy Scout uniform for their last years as a Cub Scout. Although I didn't appreciate it at the time, I liek the fact that BSA has introduced elastic into the waistbands as you can buy a few sizes too big, and that allows room to grow. Wolf son bought shorts 1 size to big, and he will be out growing soon. He helped buy the Switchbacks, and we got them 2 sizes too big.

The key with pants it to not cut the pants legs, but rather fold them up and hem. That way as he grows, you let the hem out.

Thankfully he didn't need pants for the DC parade as they are now "highwaters." But I will need to let out the hem soon. ;)

CPAMom --

You don't say what your position is in the pack, but if the Cubmaster isn't behind you, trying to get this through as a pack-wide change is going to be tough.

Fix what you can. If you are a den leader, sell the boys and their parents in your den on why it is important to wear the FULL uniform -- proper hat, neckerchief and slide for the rank, uniform shirt with the correct insignia, scout pants and scout socks.

If your only sphere of influence is as a parent, make sure your sons are in full uniform. Or just make sure you are in full uniform. None of this "blue jeans look okay" malarkey. A big selling point of this is pride -- THEN SHOW SOME PRIDE! (Yes, Eagle92, I'm yelling.)

I'll assume you're a den leader and decide to get you den in full uniform. First thing you do is generate some excitement among the boys. Call the nearest Marine reserve unit and ask if there is someone nearby who would do a den program for you. Ask them to come in full dress blues and talk about what their uniform means to them. (Any branch of the service will do, even local fire or police, but the Marines really do this up right. For an activity that night, have the whole den go through magazines and clip photos of people in uniform. Make one big collage of them. You have to be enthuasiatic. You're selling the method of uniforming to the boys and you have to get them excited.

Concurrently, you have to sell the parents. The first pitch is right out of leader training. Uniforming builds pride and self-confidence in boys. It gives them a place to visably display their accomplishments. It gives them an oppoutunity to learn when and why it is important to dress up and put their best foot forward. It gives them pride in ownership. Here's a chance to teach your son how to do laundry, or at least to hang up his uniform after a den meeting so it's ready to go next week.

The whole issue of affordability is a red herring. I just searched 'cub scout uniform' on eBay and got 352 hits. One seller, midmcmmod, has mutiple, new, unhemmed CS pants for $10. They even advertise to "get the parents together and outfit the entire troop." If money is really that tight, get the boys together and wash cars with the proceeds going for uniforms. And I'm willing to bet there is someone in your community who, if asked, would step up and help a boy with the cost of a uniform.

Once you have most of the den reasonably well uniformed, start reinforcing it. Have uniform inspections once a month or so with some gizmo for the boys in full uniform (our troop uses Klondike bars for prizes.) When it's snack time, the boys in full uniform go to the front of the line. Choosing sides for a ball game? Two boys in full uniform get to be captains.

Next, use your den to set an example for the rest of the pack. At the next pack meeting, let THE BOYS talk about their visit from the Marine and display their uniform collage. When you're giving out belt loops and stuff, announce the names of the boys who were 100% during the den uniform inspection.

But don't push it on the pack, simply lead by example. At the leaders' meeting let everyone know you found a great resource for cheap uniforms on eBay and leave it at that.

It's going to take a while to turn around the whole pack. You have a lot of institutional momentum to overcome. And until you have a Cubmaster committed to having a uniformed pack, you'll always have resistance. But at some point the balance will tip and the Scouts and leaders in uniform will outnumber those not.

Our uniforms are mostly a "waist up' thing. Myself and a few other leaders wear the pants too. Some( not me) wear the socks even though you can't see them.

We expect the uniform at pack meetings, and pine wood derbys.

We require it if it's a public event such as when we welcomed WWII veterans home from DC, Distric PWD, scouting for food, or any other public presentation.

Den meetings? Nah, it's up to you. Dens are a little bit more like an extended family function. You can wear it if you want, but not required.

And like a few others said...during certain sports seasons, some scouts go straight from one event to the next without being able to change.

Of course, cleats, shoulder pads and scout shirts clash, but what can you do? :)

We have never had an official, written, Pack rule on uniforms. Uniforms are one, and only one, of the methods of Scouting.

That said, we have always encouraged our Scouts and leaders to wear their uniform to all Pack activities.

I have always encouraged my Scouts to wear their uniform to den meetings. I have always wore mine to be an example to the Scouts.

Most Scouts wear at least their Scout shirt and necker.

CPAMom - You stated that the Cubs in your Pack wear their uniforms to Pack meetings and outings. If that is so, then they DO have uniforms. You can not force your Pack to follow your suggestions. You can not force the Scouts to wear their uniforms. The most you can do is to ask your Webelos Scouts to wear their uniforms to your den meetings, and to set the example by being in as complete a uniform as possible yourself.