Neckerchef, bolo tie, or nothing at all.

We have custom neckerchiefs, designed by the Scouts, that match our T-shirts and hats. They are worn, by Scouts and Scouters, at formal occasions such as Court of Honor, Scout Sunday, and Webelos crossover ceremony. During summer camp we wear them on Wednesdays for family day when we have the parade of troops just before flag lowering and evening meal. Most of our Scouts also wear them for SM Conference and BOR.

Our troop actually has two neckerchiefs. One is a standard run of the mill red one that can be picked up at the scout shop. The other is a custom red, white and blue one. The red one goes to new scouts. The custom one is given when a boy reaches first class. While we have some boys who always wear them, we generally only "require" then for SM conferences, BOR's COH's, etc. Not only do we have a custom necker, we provide it in a larger size for adults.

While I do wear my Woodbadge necker with pride, I'd just as soon not wear one at all. I am very hot natured and having a collar and 5 or 6 folds of material around my neck just about does me in when it is hot. That was the only drawback for me for attending Woodbadge and then staffing it later....having to wear the necker all the time. I was miserable......but had a blast.

Ours takes that one further. Upon joining, a Scout is presented with a troop necker with custom "troop logo patch". This first necker is grey with blue trim around the perimeter. Once a Scout reaches First Class, he is presented with the same necker only the trim is red. Finally, if/when Eagle is earned, the necker has gold (yellow) trim. Same scheme is used for Troop Scouters based upon what rank they had earned as a youth.

All of our scouts wear our custom troop neckerchief - solid color fabric with an embroidered troop patch sewn on. This is considered standard for all boys. they use either the official slide or one that they have made themselves - a bit of interesting individuality.

Adults wear official bolos.

At the old JLT camp, the boys made JLT bolos. Those who made them got to wear those as an indicator of the extra training that they had received. Although at COHs and formal events they wear the troop neckerchier.

Our troop has our own necker, and all member (M, F, youth, adult) get special patches when they hit so many nights of camping with the troop. However, the older boys like to use "neck adornments" such as bolos from special camps, things they've made themselves, etc in place of the necker. It's accepted except for BOR.

I just checked the uniform inspection forms. Seems that boys are to wear a neckerchief (inspection form #34283).

Adult males are to wear either a neckerchief or a bolo (CS or BS), although adults are not required to wear either if the SHORT SLEEVE shirt is worn open at the collar (inspection form #34284).

The neckerchief is entirely optional for female leaders. There is no bolo option (inspection form #34281A).

Nothing says WHICH neckerchief is to be worn, so custom ones apparently are OK.

I interpret this to mean that neckerchiefs are required for boys, optional for adult males with short-sleeve shirts, and required with long-sleeve shirts. Olive green tie is OK for adults, too, with the LS shirt. Females get off easy - sort of like the more lax "business casual" options available in the business work.

Wear the whole uniform, or none of it. :-)

" I just checked the uniform inspection forms. Seems that boys are to wear a neckerchief (inspection form #34283)."

Actually, if you look on the inspection sheet, it states, "The neckerchief is optional to the troop."

http://www.bsacmc.org/boy%20scout%20uniform%20sheet.pdf

Our boys decided to start wearing the bolo tie back in the mid-80's and never looked back.

Steve B

Scoutmaster, Troop 68, CMC

I believe that the statement "The neckerchief is optional to the troop" means that it is up to the troop which neckerchief they want to wear: the official BS neckerchief, or a custom one. I don't think it means that the presence of a neckerchief is optional. Does anyone know definitively?

The Scouts wear embroidered neckers.

And for Brianbuf, neckers don't chase kids away.

Sports is our main conflict.

The Adults all wear short sleeves. As a Wood Badger I wear just beads most all the time except for more formal stuff.

I would wear a Troop necker, however, I'm a fat guy. Fat guys look stupid with short neckers. There needs to be adult sized neckers otherwise adults look silly with a kid sized necker.