Yes Or No?

We have debated the pros and cons of uniforms.

We have said what's right and whats wrong with them.

I do know that Uniform is a method.

But if the powers that be turned around and said that uniforms were a thing of the past. Would you support the decision?

Yes or No?

Eamonn.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. The uniform is an important part of Scouting, but that does not mean that the Scout uniform can't change to support the goals of Scouting. More comfort via fabrics and construction. Some way(s) to make it easier to sew on patchs (I hate to sew patches on pockets).

Though in recent years (as opposed to my ancient youth) I have only participated in Scouting up through the second year of Webelos, I can tell you that the youngest boys are thrilled to wear their uniforms. That excitement doesn't dwindle as the boys reach the Webelos years - it actually increases as the boys get a sense of pride in themselves and their Scouting experince.

As my son moves up to Boy Scouts I will learn more about the boys' perception of uniforms as they enter pre-teen and teen years. I suspect they will be happy to wear them in Scouting activities, but somewhat embarassed about them in non-Scouting social settings. That is understandable to me. The use of field uniforms (t-shirts) and the uniform optionality of Venturing seems to provide reasonable alternatives that meet the needs of Scouting and its youth.

Maybe the resurgence of pro-military feelings are helping, but I find people (adults) have tremendous respect for boys and adults in uniform.

Would I support the decision? If you mean would I pass knowledge of the decision along to my SPL and let him and succeding SPL's decide Uniform or No, then yes I would support the decision. If you mean would I like it! Then NO, I believe the uniform is an integral part of the program. I signed an agreement to abide by the policies of the National Corporation and I am bound to it whether I like the policy or not. The uniform is a tool, I believe a usefull and successful tool, but only a tool. A true eagle Scout is an Eagle Scout uniform or no. We are Scouters 24/7 because we believe in the program and it's purpose. We wear the uniform to let others know we are proud to be associated with the Boy Scouts not because it changes who or what we are.

LongHaul(This message has been edited by LongHaul)

No.

But I would give them credit for an appropriate milestone marking a quarter-century of absolute Uniform Method incompetence :-/

While old fashioned traditionalists like me would consider this to be the stupidest decision since outlawing laser tag, it might paradoxically encourage the rebirth of the BSA Uniform.

A secret cult honor camper service society would spring up at Philmont. Form would follow function, and freed from the corruption of old dress designers at BSA Supply, Philmont would develop an innovative Outdoor Uniform: a breathable nylon shirt with mesh vents under the arm pits and under a flap between the shoulder blades. And breathable nylon "zip-off" cargo pants, of course.

In later years, historians would attribute the success of the new Uniform to an innovative new rule: It against regulations to wear a Boy Scout Uniform indoors, or where any non-member can see you!

Given that the BSA is an outdoor organization with millions of potential customers who need functional outdoor clothing and a place to put their patches, Philmont would earn hundreds of millions of dollars which, of course, the honor campers would spend on buying new Boy Scout Camps with deeds held by the Nature Conservancy, never to be sold to buy air conditioned offices and retirement packages for BSA professionals.

Finally, the exclusive secret nature of the high adventure Boy Scout Uniform would serve as a recruitment tool. Millions of curious youth seeking to prove that they are rugged enough to join the new BSA, through perseverance, persistence, and determination might eventually qualify to wear the elusive Uniform and join their brother outdoorsmen outdoors where all true Scouting takes place.

Kudu

(This message has been edited by Kudu)

No. It's still a valid method, though IMHO does not carry the weight it did decades ago. Scouting began in the height of the Victorian era when uniforms were all wrapped up with nationalism and "Dulce et decorum est ...". In the last several decades of the 20th Century, American society has to some extent moved away from the cachet that uniforms once had. That said, Kudu has valid points about the need for practical outdoor clothing - so why not combine the two (why were they ever separated??)

A big problem any organization may have is the "free thinkers" that pick and choose what parts of the organization philosphy or rules they will ignore, and what personal philosophies they will add. It is important that members of a group abide by the decisions of the group. If our organization decides to eliminate the uniform, then I must support that, for the good of the organization.

FScouter,

Funny, I would have said that one of the biggest strengths of any organization are the 'free thinkers' who think outside the box, who bring their personal experiences and philosophies to bear in shaping the organization and its responses to new challenges.

Of course, that's just my own view and I've often been called a trouble maker ... ;)

No. I think the uniform method has significant value. However, I tend to agree with those that would like to see some uniform changes to reflect more of an outdoor organization.

But I have to agree Trev & Ed on free thinkers. Sure they can be a challenge, but it's the free thinkers in our society that innovate. Any organization that squelches the free thinkers is in trouble.

Our whole free market society is based on rewarding those free thinkers that come up with innovative ideas and can make something of them.

SA

Our uniforms are things of the past. Twenty years have passed since they were present. Would I support a change in BSA policy toward uniforms? Yes, if I wanted to remain a member of the BSA organization I would. I do my best to adhear to policies and guidelines established by BSA.

If you are asking;

Would I agree with a BSA policy change that further relaxed national uniform standards? Yes!

(This message has been edited by Its Me)