BSA Red Shirts/Jackets

I recently attended an adult leader training on Leave no Trace. The instructor said that new guidelines under the heading of considerate in the outdoors includes blending into your surroundings and not being an "eyesore" to others - that the red shirts/jackets worn by BSA are no longer proper.

Has anyone out there heard that? If so, can you tell me where it might be written. Haven't been able to find any written guidelines on this subject.

Thanks.

BSA Leave No Trace

http://www.scouting.org/boyscouts/resources/21-105/

Under The Principals of Leave No Trace - #7 - Be Considerate of Other Visitors:

"Make sure the colors of clothing and gear blend with the environment."

There is nothing that says no red shirtjacs. Somehow I doubt that means that Troops that winter camp must go out and purchase 2 sets of gear (tents, tarps, backpacks, stoves, etc), 1 camo colored & 1 white.

When the BSA starts selling uniforms to coordinate with what ever natural surroundings you might be camping in (white, camo, sand, green, grey, blue, etc) then I will consider not wearing the BSA red wool shirtjac.

Hot DOGS!

now maybe the next BSA Uniform will be Woodland Camo for the east coast and digital desert for the southwest...and how bout mocha for the northwest?

heck, the red jac blends in well in Vermont this time of year!

anarchist

• 1 month later...

I think that part of LNT was a reaction to the early 70s, when it seemed tents were made in only one color -- international orange. I remember my troop having huge four man tents with flys, all of it made of the "new" ripstop nylon, in international orange. Each patrol had one of these, plus the international orange tarps. You couldn't NOT notice us from a distance. (Of course, the noise of teenage boys would have given us away anyway!)

That "fluorescent" orange material was even used for backpacks (take a look at the official BSA "Rayado" pack of the 1970s) by just about every camping equipment manufacturer (even for sleeping bags!).

I just don't see the red jacket as being quite that garish. And like others have mentioned, sometimes you may want to be seen (such as hunting season and when lost).

jack

I quess my light weight MSR missing link tent is taboo as it is orange.

Maybe if the US Gov adopts the LNT guidelines then the ACLU will sue on behalf of my choice of color.

No justice No Peace!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's all pile in the back of my VW bus and drive up to the "LOVE IN"

HO HO HO CHI MIHN the NLF is gonna win! oops wrong war.

This particular part of LNT makes an otherwise fine and respectable program, one that I support, practice, and teach to my children, seem silly. It's a good thing that is carried just plain too far. For safety's safe, I deliberately wear clothing or carry a pack that is visible and do the same with my children. When going on outings with Cubs or Daisies, it's so much easier to know where they are when they are in uniform or at least dressed in brighter clothing. In my opinion, keeping kids visible beats hollering for them--now THAT would not be respectful of others!

"The instructor said that new guidelines under the heading of considerate in the outdoors includes blending into your surroundings and not being an "eyesore" to others - that the red shirts/jackets worn by BSA are no longer proper. "

I'm sorry, but the instructor is an idiot.

The issue with not wearing 'bright' clothing and wearing clothing that 'blends' in is one thing. But the prohibition is against garish, neon-like colors. The red in the scout jackshirt is NOT garish and should not be a problem. Clothing using a similiar color of red has been used for centuries in the outdoors without problem.

The Red Shirts can be worn in environments where red is a naturally occuring color. Perhaps where Sumac grows...or in the fall...perhaps where certain flowers are in bloom that approximate the color.

Or, perhaps they can re-define the color scheme and make the red shirts blended with green.