Scout Pants Alternatives

Im a big guy, and looking for scout color pants to wear while camping, etc. I find that the crotch of my pants tends to wear out and I would like to save my expensive scout pants for formal occasions. I know the uniform police will probably shoot me for this post, but what is the 8th point of the scout law? (Thrifty)

Does anyone have a suggestion as to brands and colors??? One of my next steps is to call a uniform supply Co. in California, and see what trousers they have in LA County Sheriffs Green (I believe it is the same shade). Any other suggestions???

Jon

I'm looking for something that will look "class b" with a troop shirt, or that I can wear with a class A shirt for a retreat ceremony. Again, I know the "uniform police" will get upset, but my pants seen to take a beating, and I'm a student on a limited income.

I want something that looks a little better than jeans.

Thanks,

Jon

I found a pair of zip-offs at Land's End that matched the color of uniforms pretty well. They are great pants for outdoor activities. They are about the same cost as scout pants, but are much more functional. I've only had them a few months, so I don't know how durable they are. Sorry, I didn't save you any money, but it's a much more useful alternative.

FScouter,

Do you mean to imply that the BSA 'field uniform' is not to be worn in the field? Or that the 'activity uniform' is not to be worn while being active? Why should we not wear the uniform while camping? That is where 80% of the program is delivered! :)

To save time, I'd like to take a shot at filling in what the rest of this thread would probably say:

1. Someone will clarify that you don't need to wear the uniform when you are camping.

2. Someone else will explain that at summer camp and perhaps some other camping events uniforms are expected for certain parts of the event.

3. Somebody will explain that if you wear non-BSA pants with the uniform, that you aren't in uniform (and maybe, that you aren't even doing "Scouting").

4. Somebody else will point out how expensive the pants are and how impractical they are for camping.

5. Somebody will suggest that you go to a thrift shop or on eBay to try to find another pair of pants.

6. Somebody will point out that there is no such thing as "Class A" and "Class B," somebody else will claim we all know what that means, and then it will be shown that nobody can agree on what they mean.

7. Somebody will say that if you wear a partial uniform, that tells the boys that partial uniforms are OK.

8. Somebody will say that nobody is required to own a uniform to be a scout.

9. Etc, etc, ad infinitum. Did I leave any out?

Here's my advice: forget about trying to match the color. When you really need to wear the uniform, wear the whole thing, including the regulation pants. When you're camping, wear what's comfortable--If you want to identify yourself as a Scouter, wear a scout-related t-shirt, sweatshirt, or jacket--it's not the "uniform," but so what?

good gosh guys, what the man said is he has "thunder thighs" and wears-out the crotch/inside of the legs on his expensive "class A's"...and would rather have some less expensive pants to throw away...next time...(been there and done that ScoutingEMT)...years of leg exercises particular to fencing (swords not chain link) gave me a weird set of thighs and lots of "friction"...

try an honest-by-gosh army surplus store...BDUs in olive green make cheaper, practical, and easier to throw away alternative to trashing your "BSA-wear"...forget the uniform police...

anarchist

EMT,

Welcome to the Thunder Thighs Tribe. I'm chief. I can attest that the crotch of scout uniform pants don't hold up well. You can get BDU's at a military surplus store. They make colors other than camo. I have a pair of olive green BDU's and they wear like iron. Also, take a look at www.cabelas.com at their 7 Pocket Hiker Pants and their Trailhiker pants. The 7 Pocket looks a lot like scout pants. They even have fairly small useless patch pockets on front. I've got a pair in olive and they are one tought pair of pants. While I don't have them, I like the looks of their Trailhiker pants. They have double knees sewn in and nice sized patch pockets. Both pants have nice wide belt loops, go all the way up to 52 inch waists and are both priced at $29.95. They will outlast 10 pairs of scout pants.

9. Etc, etc, ad infinitum. Did I leave any out?

Yeah, the most obvious: If anyone at BSA understood the Uniform Method, the BSA Uniform would be made for the outdoors, where ideally all Scouting takes place.

You can get BDU's at a military surplus store. They make colors other than camo. I have a pair of olive green BDU's and they wear like iron.

For close-up comparison photos of the stitching in the BSA pants and BDU pants (as well as olive-drab nylon zip-off pants), see:

http://www.inquiry.net/uniforms/bdu.htm

"Ideally, no Troop should have a single indoor meeting--all its activities should be outdoors!

"Ideally, we say--for Scouting is a movement of the out-of-doors, teaching boys citizenship through woodcraft. Boys join Scouting to have fun under the open sky, not to be cooped up in a troop room [William Hillcourt, Scoutmaster's Handbook, 5th Edition, page 125].

"So Baden-Powell set out to design a uniform of a character applicable to all phases of Scouting.

"The design which emerged--with the broad brimmed hat, the shirt rather than a coat, the loose shorts rather than tight fitting pants, the stockings, the shoes rather than high boots--was made for comfort, for greater freedom of action, and for health. The khaki color was decided upon because it blends with the leaves of the forests, the mountains, the fields.

"Immediately it started its conquest of the world. It came to America with the Movement. But we did not accept it unconditionally. The fact that it had been accepted in England, in India, and Africa was not enough. So we experimented with the uniform design, tested it in the north and the south, in the east, and the west. It stood the test, and since then millions of American boys have expressed their approval of it: 'The Scout Uniform is the one for us!' [Hillcourt, Handbook for Scoutmasters, 3rd Edition, page 286]"

Kudu