Temporary Patches on Adult Uniforms

Can adult scouters wear temporary patches on the right pocket? If so, can they wear:

1. Patches reflecting activities the current unit has done (such as summer camp)?

2. Patches reflecting activities the Scouter did back when he was a scout, such as an old Camporee or summer camp patch?

3. More general patches?--what got me thinking about this was a trip to my parents house, where I dug up my old patches. The one I really want to put on my uniform is a patch from the 60s or 70s that says, "Scouting Rounds a Guy Out."

if you earned it as a scout or a scouter, you can wear it. I have a scout circus patch from 1965 that has turned into a collector's item. I wear it from time to time. I have been offered cash money on the spot for it. Nope. Mine. Not for sale. Had too much fun earning it.

Well, I received the "Scouting Rounds a Guy Out" patch when I was a youth, but I only became round as an adult.

I don't think the patch was earned, but was part of a PR campaign. I have another one that says "Boypwer Manpower" that is similar.

Many patches have no "earning requirement" and may be worn by anyone. Other patches are restricted in that one cannot get one without earning it, ie. the Philmont arrowhead.

Badges of rank may not be worn by adults in any circumstance.

Almost any temporary patch can be worn on the right pocket. If Trevorum is referring to patches that are issued by parks that stand for a trail hike, or something that can be completed by scouts, I feel the answer is yes.

My understanding from reading the Insignia Guide is that one may wear anything as a temporary patch as long as it fits completely on the right pocket (not the flap), is in good taste, and is not specifically restricted by BSA (such as rank patches). "Temporary" means one may leave the patch there for as long as desired.

Trev asks:Can Scouts and Scouters wear patches that are not issued by BSA? For example, state park patches that may be earned by completing certain requirements.I'm no uniform Nazi, but I can tell you what the Cub Scout Leader Book has to say:Badges awarded by other organizations may not be worn on the official uniform with the exceptions of the Historic Trails Award and religious emblems.Ref: Cub Scout Leader Book, p8-4 (2001 edition)

Fgoodwin is "spot on". The Lexington "Live Aboard" patch cannot be worn on the uniform. Our troop has been there twice. The Lexington folks have "2nd Cruise", "3rd Cruise" hash marks that go directly below the patch. Our guys have sewn them on the red vest that the Supply Division offers.

Fred, thanks for the cite! Seems pretty clear, at least for Cubs.

But now I am confused. FScouter (whom I have always respected as the authority on uniform protocol) says yes.

Can anyone clear up this issue for us?

Fred is correct and I'm going to retract my statement. In addition to Fred's citation of the Cub Scout Leader Book, the Insignia Guide says

"The general rule is that badges awarded by organizations other than the Boy Scouts of America may not be worn on an official uniform." Exceptions include religious emblems and special badges approved by local councils such as Historic Trails. It also says "Temporary insignia are issued for such events as summer camp, camporees, and Scouting shows. OA regional and national meetings and training activities may also provide them. Only one such patch may be worn at a time. The patch is worn centered on the right pocket and must not exceed the dimensions of the seams of the pocket..."

I got my (incorrect) information from a respected and knowledgeable Scouter in our council. So Ive once again learned my lesson; answers to Scouting questions can best be found in Scouting publications. Other sources, no matter how respected, may not always be correct.