Scouter uniform at son's Eagle COH

isvirtual,

First congratulations to your son and you. I can tell you that of all the Eagle COH I've attended having mom and dad not in uniform seems most appropriate. Personally I feel that on our sons special day we're not a SM, ASM, CM, etc. we're a proud dad.

At a Scouting function, it is always appropriate for a Scouter and a Scout to wear their uniform. For myself, I have a "Panamanian General" shirt that I may wear for certain occasions that has service stars, all of my "knots", Wood Badge beads, temporary patch, Jambo patch, etc. and one that simply has the "essentials" - council strip, unit number, position patch, etc. I would wear that one to my son's Eagle COH.

I agree with OGE et al, what does your son want?

Personally I cant fathom how one person wearing the uniform will detract from anothers moment. If that were somehow true then only the Eagle candidate should be in uniform.

I agree with others here - it's your son's moment, ask him. Either way would be appropriate. Personally, I would think the uniform would be more appropriate since it is a scout function but the fact that's it's HIS day would make me ask him. When my son gets his Eagle, I hope he wants me in uniform, but I'll be mom whether I'm in or out...as I type this, though, I'm not sure the question will arise unless I bring it up. We've had three different Eagles since I started serving this troop - all three had a father Scouter (SM, CC and ASM). All three fathers wore their uniform. So the other question is - what does your troop do?

Vicki

If you are a member of that troop then i can see wearing the uniform is suitable. However, i dont think there is a need for a "panamanian general" shirt with over and beyond the amount of needed patches and additives.

acco40 wrote >and one that simply has the "essentials" - council strip, unit number, position patch, etc. I would wear that one to my son's Eagle COH>

Dug, I think acco40 was referring to wearing his plainest shirt as opposed to the Panamanian general shirt.

Also, while isvirtual doesn't specifically say so, I guess my answer was based on the assumption that he belonged to the same troop. Under what scenario would he not? I know assumptions can be dangerous but I guess I thought that one was relatively safe...

Vicki

I believe it is always appropriate for a scouter to be in uniform at a scout event. But, I would first ask your son, if he wants you to "just be dad" for the day, then that's fine too. But don't ever not wear the uniform because you think it will take away from something. Actually, I believe it adds to it. Think of the guests (friends, family, church members, etc.) that may never see the two of you together in scout uniform. This opens their eyes to a totally new picture of you and your son.

What fantastic responses. I appreciate all the comments and suggestions.

I am a member of the same troop, although I do help out with the district.

I did ask him and he wants us both in uniform.

I used to be a bear...