Ok,here goes........a young Scout went into a Tenderfoot BOR in appropriate Scout uniform. He did have a small ear ring that one reviewer disapproved of and requested that it be removed immediately (I assume because the adult felt the ring wasn't appropriate with the uniform). The Scout stood his ground, left the room and evidently the Troop along with his dad, an ASM. I'm not sure if the SM followed up on this situation, he is very "old school" in his views.

I wasn't present, but feel like the "Uniform Police" might have gone"above and beyond" in this case. Finger rings, sunglasses, watches, and tasteful ear rings are allowed in the armed services but not BSA , hummmmmmm....?

Comments and thoughts are appreciated.....

G5

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a few years ago, an eagle candidate had a problem with hair length. I was on the OA dance team and had below shoulder length hair, I still was able to make eagle. I've learned that you have to give some identity to young men and if all they have is a ring, good going. Their are a lot worse things that could be encountered. Let them have their identity without overpowering them.

I agree the demand to remove the ear ring was out of line. Good on the SCout for standing tall for his convictions.

Yes, the armed services allow tasteful ear rings, but only for the girls.

For those that are aghast at the request to remove an earring, how do you feel about...nose rings? cheek pins? facial implants? fangs? mascara, false eyelashes and long painted fingernails? All good and should be celebrated for their individuality and diversity? Or, do you draw the line somewhere too, just as this adult did in the BOR?

"The Scout stood his ground, left the room and evidently the Troop along with his dad, an ASM."

He and his dad quit over this? Seems like a mighty severe reaction over such a trivial bit of individuality.

That SM owes that young man an apology, and should be begging him and his Dad to come back to the troop. Old school or not, that was just plain mean and rude. I'll guess that this is not an isolated incident with this SM, which may explain the scout and Dad leaving the troop.

Regarding the statement about other body piercings, tatoos, fingernails, etc... how many kids of Scout quality do you see with things like that? I hardly think this would be a situation we'd come across on a regular basis...

I've got one kid with an earring. I don't like 'em either, but I just chuckle and move on. I've got more important things to worry about ( like the PROGRAM ), and this is not the hill I want to die on... :-)

OGE,

Do you think a cross-shaped earring would have received a different response from the SM?? Hmmmmmmm . . . I 'm not sure if that would make me feel better, or worse, about the whole situation . . .

FScouter,

what's trivial about an 11(?) year old being publicly repudiated? The severe reaction was on the part of the SM - the Scout and his Dad probably took a look at the next 7 years and couldn't find enough good to outweigh the bad that had been shoved in their face.

They voted with their feet. Good for them - a scout is Brave. The way I feel about all the wonderful things to be found in Scouting, it took a whole lot more Brave to stand up, alone, against the "petty tyrant with the funny hat" and say, "You're wrong, I'm gone."!

jd

ear ring??? over and ear ring?? heck our new CC had an ear ring when my son joined the troop. The personal adornment of a boy is the business of his parents not the troop. As long as the boy is clean and well kempt...not our business on the boards...

The reviewer was wrong! He should be told so and asked to appologize...the family should be asked to give the troop another chance.

that said, when my older son came to me about getting a stud in the ear...I explained that unless he was willing to allow me to pierce another part of his anatomy with a ten penny nail first he would have to wait til he was over 18... he is waiting...guess I am old fashioned, huh?