AOL (Arrow of Light)

The Arrow of Light award is available in three displayable formats:

1) "Arrow of Light" or Webelos Scout Award Pin (Cub) Usually this is placed on the uniform, below the left breast pocket, during the presentation of awards. Ideally, the Cub Scout should sew the accompanying patch (#2) in the same location, just below the left breast pocket. Please see the offcial uniform inspection pamphlet for amplification of this location.

2) Arrow of Light or Webelos Scout Award Patch (Cub, Scout, Crew) should be sewn in the same location as described above, below the left breast pocket, in all cases.

3) Arrow of Light or Webelos Scout Award Knot (Adult only). This is worn above the left breast pocket, in the knot row.

"Arrow of Light" is not a rank, although it would be pretty difficult to complete the "Arrow of Light" requirements without acheiving Webelos Rank, in Cub Scouting.

"Arrow of Light" could be looked at as preparatory step for advancement into Boy Scouts. It offered a terse course in the "Scout" rank requirements and also requires seven Webelos Activity Pins.

Basically, it also prepares the scout for the "Cross-over" ceremony... which tends to invigorate and ensure the Webelos Scout knows that he has accomplished something significant, as he moves along the Scouting Trail.

Yours in Scouting,

Don

Welcome to the forums Don!

Don says:

"Arrow of Light" is not a rank, although it would be pretty difficult to complete the "Arrow of Light" requirements without acheiving Webelos Rank, in Cub Scouting.

Actually, it would be impossible. Arrow of Light requirement 1 (both the "old version" and the "new" 2003 handbook) concludes with the words "and earn the Webelos badge." (Not "rank," by the way, though Webelos is both a rank and a badge. I am not sure where it says in the handbook that Arrow of Light is "not a rank," and since I do not own the 2003 Webelos handbook and do not plan to, I will not guess. If it says it, I believe it, though I am not sure what the practical distinction is because the requirements have the same "feel" as every other "rank" in Cub Scouting.)

As you say, the Arrow of Light requirements are designed to prepare a boy to earn the Scout badge (not "rank," heh heh) immediately after he crosses over to a Boy Scout troop.

I think I've seen in Troopmaster and some other places the comment "Highest rank achieved in Cub Scouting". Arrow of Light is an option. I know it's not official, but I believe the AOL is commonly referred to as a rank.

Why don't we make it real simple:

The Arrow of Light is one of three program elements a youth in Boy Scouting can carry over to adult life as a Scouter, viz:

Arrow of Light

Religious Award (purple knot)

Eagle

BTW, does anyone know if any of the Venturing awards will carry over yet?

"Arrow of Light is not a rank, . . ."

Dunno if I buy that. It goes on an advancement report and he's given an advancement card to go with it. Award and rank seem to be used interchangeably in BSA. There's Eagle Scout which is a rank but is often referred to as an award.

One does wonder if the term "rank" should be used at all. Does a Second Class outrank a Tenderfoot? Does he deserve extra respect and signs of obeisance?

The advancement program in Scouting has "ranks" to recognize the Scout's ability that has been demonstrated by meeting the requirements of the rank. A 1st Class Scout should be more capable in skill then a Tenderfoot. The ranks recognizes and stand for what a Scout is capable of, not just what he has demonstrated.