World Conservation Award Patch

Any one have a idea on where the patch for this award goes on the Cub Scout uniform? I was told that it is a temporary patch on the uniform. If you can only earn this award once while in Cub Scouts, why not make it a permament patch for the uniform? Any help would be great. Thanks!

According to the Insignia Guide, that is correct, it goes on the right pocket as a temporary patch.

But before I looked it up, I would have bet good money that it went above the right pocket, in the same location as Jamboree patches. I know I didn't make that up, but can't find any of my old insignia stuff right now. Does anyone know if that's a recent change.

• Upvote 1

First of all, like the religious awards, the World Conservation Award can be earned in Cub Scouts and in Boy Scouts and has different requirements dependent on when it was earned (as a Wolf, Bear, Webelos or Boy Scout).

For Boy Scouts, the World Conservation Award is worn on the uniform shirt, centered on the right pocket as a TEMPORARY patch.

It is the same for Cub Scouts (slightly different badge by the way).

For Boy Scouts only one temporary patch may be worn at a time. However, for Cub Scouts the WCA may be sewn on the pocket and the Progress toward ranks (Wolf & Bear) or the Compass Point Emblem (Webelos) may be worn in addition to the WCA.

The Cub Scout emblem (can only be earned once) can't be worn on the Boy Scout Uniform.(This message has been edited by acco40)

• 1 month later...

Two cub Dad -

I would've bet you were right - only I thought it was above the LEFT pocket, in place of the world scouting emblem - so I looked it up, and we're both wrong!

Well, maybe - it doesn't say that the conservation patch is a "temporary insignia", if it is, it goes on the Right pocket - and it would be covered up by the Arrow points / compass patch attached to your shirt pocket button.

the conservation patch is an INTERNATIONAL award - and I can't find anything, cub scout or boy scout, that says exactly where it, specifically, should go, or that the boy scout can't wear it on his boy scout uniform if he earned it as a cub.

But I also remember reading somewhere that a cub /boy scout can only earn this ONCE - so I had our webelos do it because it was much easier as a cub than as a scout! and now I can't find THAT anywhere, either! I remember my reasoning was that they could wear it on their boy scout uniforms - as they finally got it at the same time they got their Arrow of Light. otherwise, they wouldn't have had it long enough to sew it on!

• Upvote 1

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the AOL is the only thing you can transfer from Cub to Boy Scout uniform. Possibly the religious emblem pin, but it isn't really BSA, just recognized by BSA.

I was in a Scout shop on Saturday and saw a World Conservation patch that was different then the awarded to Cub Scouts. They had the one with a yellow background for sale but also they had ones with a tan/beige background. Any ideas?

The Cub Scout and Boy Scout WCA badges are different -- same panda, but different background and border. Cubs' badge is gold background with purple border. Boy Scout version is tan.

A boy can earn both the Cub Scout and Boy Scout award. From that perspective, they are two different awards. What you can't do is earn the award multiple time within the same program. You can't earn it as a Wolf then Bear and again as a Webelos, for example. There are different requirements for each level tied to other requirements. Most boys eventually figure that the Wolf requirements are the easiest to meet, but only after they are Bears or Webelos. I think the Bear requirements are the toughest. Actually, I think they should let the boys earn the badge each year -- what's the harm? Of course they would only wear one badge, but let them wear little Cub Scout devices, like you do when other awards are earned mutiple times.

Since there is only one set of requirements for Boy Scouts, earning the award more that once is really a moot point. As you point out, the Cub Scout badge, regardless of when it is earned, can't be worn as a Boy Scout.

The AOL and the religious knot are the 2 earned badges that can be transfered to the Boy Scout uniform. The World Crest badge can also be transfered. Also, since you wear the last earned rank badge on your left pocket, many new Boy Scouts are wearing the new Webelos rank badge until they earn their Scout rank.

• 2 weeks later...

ScoutNut says:

Also, since you wear the last earned rank badge on your left pocket, many new Boy Scouts are wearing the new Webelos rank badge until they earn their Scout rank.

I had heard that this was actually permitted, but I have looked in the current Uniform and Insignia Guide and find no mention of it. I have this exact issue with my son right now. He will be a Cub Scout for 4 more days. Right now he is wearing the oval Webelos badge on his pocket (on his tan Webelos/Boy Scout shirt.) On Friday night he will receive the Arrow of Light, and will immediately cross over to Boy Scouts. So, when he attends his first official troop meeting the following Tuesday, I know that we need to get him the red loops to replace the blue and the numerals for the troop (I believe they have their own customized numerals patch with the name of the town underneath.) I believe this troop will sell us their own customized hat and that he gets a Boy Scout neckerchief and slide as part of the joining fee for the troop. But what about the Webelos rank patch? As I said, it is my understanding that it stays on until he earns the Scout badge, but I cannot find any verification of this.

By the way, my son just earned the World Conservation award as a Webelos, it has not gone on his uniform yet. Since it is my understanding that he cannot wear this on his Boy Scout uniform, it will go onto his red vest, which will then go into the closet, since it is a Cub Scout thing. I told him that the last few things he earns (activity badges, World Conservation), he will wear for only a few weeks if at all, and he is ok with that.

NJ -- the requirements for AOL are much more stringent that those for Scout. If the new troop is on the ball, you boys should be able to receive their Scout badge at their first troop meeting. That would make wearing the Webelos badge moot.

Applying the concept of rigid flexibility, I'd cut the guys some slack on getting the insignia updated. Our boys literally crossover on a Monday night then show up for their first troop meeting on Tuesday. Not too many families are going to stay up late Monday night swapping Scout badges. Now if a boy is still wearing his Webelos insignia after six months, it's ask about it. But in that case, what I'd ask is "Why haven't you made Scout, Tenderfoot or Second Class by now?"

• 1 month later...

What we did for our boys who earned the Conservation badge was to sew it on their right pocket (temporary patch pocket). We then allow the scouts to wear another activity patch in a plastic holder over the top of it (on the button). Probably not the best solution, but it does seem to work. Some even wear their Progress towards Ranks on top of that. So much stuff on a button. Many boys even have the Whittlin' Chip patch sewn right under the conservation badge, yet still on the pocket. Creative moms, I figure!

Now I'm not saying it's right, but it really isn't wrong (like the one cub we have whose parent insists on sewing everything all over his shirt--we're working on her!)

CA Scouter

• Upvote 1

A Cub is permitted to wear his Progress Toward Rank patch (although it's not really a patch, what DO you call that thing) over top another temporary patch. I seem to recall there is one more item which can hang in front of a temporary patch, but I don't really remember what.

Since it seems like all activity patches now come with a loop to hang them off the shirt button, a lot of boys wear several patches hanging from the button. I wouldn't burst a kid's bubble over it though. If he's proud of all those patches, great.

The mom who is sewing the entire patch collection all over the shirt may require a conversation....

• Upvote 1
  • 20 years later...

Reviving this VERY old topic. I know World Conservation is being retired as the Cub Scouts become the belt loop brigade and patches other than rank and identifier all but disappear. I seem to recall when I was a Cub in the early 90s wearing World Conservation Award in my Pack was in the Jamboree position above the right pocket as it is a World Scouting program. My son just earned WCA as a cub and was considering that position. But as a Pack Committee member I don't want to start getting to fast and loose with extra awards on my son's uniform and set the wrong example but encouraging other scouts to go above and beyond the core requirements is important I feel.