New Councils in 2005?

Southern California has a new council for 2005 - San Diego Imperial Council.

Are there any more council mergers or new council names that are planned for 2005?

In 2004 we saw the new Heart of Virgina Council. Were there any others last year?

HOV is not "new". It was renamed from "Robert E. Lee Council".

Here's another one:

UPDATE ON MERGER DISCUSSIONS: JANUARY 5, 2005

At a specially convened meeting held on January 4, 2005, the Keystone Area Council (KAC) Executive Board voted 30-6, with two abstentions, to accept the proposal of the Council Executive Committee to recommend that the KAC membership approve a merger with the Juniata Valley Council (JVC). The only change made to the plan submitted by the Merger Task Force was to recommend that, if the JVC membership agrees, the name of the new Council be the Keystone Juniata Council. The plan proposed by the Merger Task Force was to have a contest to adopt a name.

• 2 weeks later...

Juniata Valley and Keystone Council's are still in the process of the merger study, although the vote will be coming up at the end of this month. If the merger goes through, it will NOT automatically be called "Keystone-Juniata Council". There is a part of the merger study that states there will be a New Council name contest. BUT don't hold your breath on the merger passing in one of the councils!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Dont assume that if a council votes against a merger that I wont go through. Out here three councils were in merger talks about ten years ago. National wanted them to merge, so when one of the councils (in between the other two) voteed not to merge National pulled that council's charter and gave the territory and property to the newly created council.

• 1 month later...

Is San Diego Imperial a new council or just a new name? The last I knew, the council in that end of the state was called Desert Pacific. Since the trend has been to merge councils, I would be surprised at new councils that could only be created by splitting existing councils. The fact that that part of California has seen a great deal of population growth could be a basis for sub dividing an existing council, but what about the rest of California? Puzzling.

• 4 weeks later...

Another July 1 Change..

Southwest Georgia Council has changed back to Chehaw Council. We were Chehaw until sometime in early to mid 80's and our Council has changed back to that name. I had finally learned the "new" name and now I have to unlearn it. NO new patches yet, we have a council wide contest/promotion to come up with a new one.

eisley, Desert Pacific just renamed itself to San Diego Imperial; same with Boulder Dam to Las Vegas Area.

scouter&mom, thanks for the information! I'll be sure to keep an eye peeled for the new patch! :)

Any word yet on the Sinnissippi/Four Lakes merger?