Eagle without having to build a fire? Really?

I think this thread just goes to show and prove Kudu's argument that the boy scout program has continued to become more watered down, or "Dumb downed" using Kudu's words over time. IMHO so many current Eagle projects are not worthy to be called such, development of scoutcraft skills are becoming less and less important, leadership skill development in many senior scouts and Eagles is sorely lacking. To not even be able to build a fire, an essential survival skill, and to be able to receive the Eagle Award just shows another reason why it really doesn't carry the prestige it used to have.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Early BSA literature used to refer to such pseudo-Scouts as Parlor Scouts vs. Real Scouts.

And this honorary title for Eagles: "Once an Eagle always an Eagle" only identifies who they are, not what they do. There's a world of difference between the two. A true definition of a person's character is summed up in what they can do, not what someone says they are.

I know of Real Eagle Scouts that if I were to go with them on a major BWCA trip, they'd have my back, and I know of other Parlor Eagle Scouts that I would basically have to babysit them through the expedition.

I have some Real FC, Star and Life Scouts that I would prefer working with than some of the Parlor Eagles I have met along the way.

One can be assured that the boy who "earns" his Eagle only to quit is definitely a Parlor Scout. The Eagle who stays with the program, ages out and signs up for ASM, is probably going to be what I call a Real Scout.

YMMV,

Stosh

Kudu,

If it's any consolation, I know of one Cub that has worn an external fram pack with his gear in the woods. Looked like a helpless turtle, and did need help, but when I talk about backpacking and Philmont, eyes light up. Now whenever he puts on his school bookbag, he puts it on like i showed him to put on his backpack. Also has a HA jar collecting money.

Stosh,

AMEN! I know folks who didn't make it to Eagle, but their knowledge of the outdoors is so great that even today, after 15 years of being out of scouts, I would trust them with my life inthe outdoors.

EDITED: To paraphrase a popular joke in my district: Those Life for Life folks have forgotten more about camping than most folks ever learn, and they still know more than you! ;)(This message has been edited by eagle92)

"Our goal is not to teach someone to rub two sticks together and make a fire. But when you rub two sticks together and make a fire side by side with an adult of good character, you're going to learn about who you are and go on to lead men...

"You can teach a kid about character and leadership using aerospace and computers. The secret is to get them side by side with adults of character.

"We run the risk of becoming irrelevant if we don't adapt to things that attract kids today... We recognize the evolving science of leadership. We've had CEOs on our board say they want to send their people to Wood Badge, our adult leader training program, because we use state-of-the-art techniques" (Chief Scout Executive Mazzuca)

http://inquiry.net/leadership/sitting_side_by_side_with_adults.htm