Sat in on one the other day. What a somber lot. Seven men ranging from 35 - 80 asking questions about life to an 18 year old. One was a judge, one was a retired marine officer, one was a civil engineer, another a cop and the others a couple business cogs. The mood can best be describe as mortuary in style. I kept looking around for the coffin.

The scout didn't help. His answers were slow and overly thought.

I could tell that they liked asking him about his future and thus seemed to be looking at a young man and not a boy. They asked if he new what he had to do now that he is 18? He replied yes sir register to vote and register for the armed services. They corrected him about selective services but were please that he knew.

They did asked some good questions. When the scout answered a questions about his project with We.... the Board jumped back with WHO IS WE?

Funny thing is by the end they managed to size up this scout just right. He is devoted to his family, his church, tries hard in school. He is looking forward to college but a little afraid about moving out. His a good scout but may not have been very active in the program during his later high school years.

It took less than three minutes for them to vote.

(This message has been edited by Mafaking)

Not uncommon for scouts to not be as activein HS. My advice I give to every scout I see is to get the LIFE ASAP and get the Eagle Service Project over with as soon as you hit life. Then relax and have more fun.

Sound like a good Eagle to me.

The leader of boards in our area of the council brings one of those "That's Easy" buttons with him. He also has a tiny folding chair, along with an adult one at the start. He asks the candidate which chair he wants, after introductions to the board, and recitation of the Oath and Law. None has chosen the little one yet; sort of casually symbolic I think, as well as comedic relief to start. Then, before he sits, he is asked to push the button. If things seem to be getting too tense for the candidate during the board, the chair again has him take a breath, get up and push the button. Seems to help.

We had a new Council person for EBOR's a few years ago and there was rumor that he was hard core Marine. Turns out that during a EBOR he is the nicest guy. runs a tight ship/meeting but really brings out the best in the Scout. We had a EBOR recently and at the end the council person asks the Scout "do you have any questions for the Board." Scout looks at everybody and says ' every time I have a Scoutmaster conf they ask how I lived the Scout law today. My question for all you Scouters is" how did you live the Scout law today" The council guy loved it. everyone on the Board was an Eagle and there were a few Silver Beavers. The scout waited until they all answered. After that approval was a no brainer.

• 2 weeks later...

Seven people asking questions. National requirement is 3-6. Oops. "All boards must constitute at least three and not more than six members who are all 21 years of age or older. "

I don't agree with a uniform requirement for members of a Eagle Board of Review. When we call in a doctor or lawyer who aren't scouters to serve on a board, some of them don't have a uniform. We call for "Sunday Best" dress, and that seems to work fine and respect the occasion.

I even break out my mauve and woggle for a EBOR when I usually just wear my beads.

Maybe the seventh adult was from the Scout's unit. His Scoutmaster, say. Or maybe the seventh was Mafaking, who was just an observer. I was in one EBOR for a Scout was who dual-registered and had both unit leaders present. It's not obvious there was a violation going on here.