Merit Badges during meetings?

Anyone familiar with this? Article in our local paper describing a pilot program for earning merit badges during den meetings, that will be soon rolled out nationally. I do not know if they are referring to Webelos Activity pins during den meetings (or something else cub scout related) or boy scout merit badges during Troop meetings. Anyone?

"And a program begun in Wisconsin three years ago and spread throughout the Midwest lets boys work on merit badges during den meetings, rather than exclusively at home with their parents. That program, which will be implemented nationally next year, has increased retention rates in the pilot program's area from about 65 percent to nearly 90 percent, according to Mr. Mazzuca."

Original article here:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09327/1015670-51.stm

There's an obvious issue with terminology here. Cubs do not work on "merit badges". I think what they are referring to is the new "Cub Scout 2010" program, which shifts advancement work (Wolf, Bear) more to the Den and away from the parents. In the "old days" the parent was "Akela" and was encouraged to work on achievements and electives with their son.

Troops who work on merit badges during meetings are not really running the program as it's designed and are generally frowned upon.

"I think what they are referring to is the new "Cub Scout 2010" program"

I hope you are correct. I too was taught that working on MBs during regular scout meetings was a no-no.

It is not that unusual for reporters to get the terminology mixed up between scout programs. They often confuse packs/troops and cub scouts / boy scouts when doing articles. I have seen it in some of the quotes I have given the local paper related to our troop.

I think the article is referring to Cubs and just has the terminology wrong.

As for merit badges during troop meetings, I agree you don't want it to be merit badge school. But the Troop Program Guides do list various merit badge work as appropriate for the skills portion of a troop meeting.

I'm faced with this problem at the present time in my troop. I have one patrol doing a merit badge while the other patrol is taking TLT training. I would have preferred doing it all together, but the boys chose to do it differently. With a boy-led program, one is always faced with this possibility.

The older boys taking the MB could use the TLT more than the NSP which is taking the course. To me it's a trade off between having the boys do something they are interested in vs. what they are forced to do. I'm thinking the older boys would not pay attention to the TLT training and would be more of an interference than if they really wanted to be there. I'm hoping that the training the younger boys get will "inspire" the older boys to request the TLT at a later date. It's kind of like having to play the hand you're dealt with. It may not be the ideal, but one does the best they can with what they have at the moment.

Taking MB's during the patrol meetings is discouraged, but not forbidden. Once the boys realize the problems it creates, the problem should resolve itself. It's part of the leadership learning they are having to deal with. While it may be more fun to do a MB, will the trade off down the road pay off when it comes to POR assignments and they will have to take a pass because they weren't trained and the younger boys get the choice spots. Every decision has it's consequences and the boys need to learn this on their own.

Stosh(This message has been edited by jblake47)

I did appreciate this bit of candor in the article, however accidental it may have been: "And the new Boy Scout shirts have a pocket on the sleeve that is designed to hold an iPod."

As far as Cubs doing some achievement work during den meetings, there's nothing new about that, from my experience. We always did some achievement- and activity badge-related programs as a den, whether it be physical fitness tests, knot-tying, building birdhouses or whatever.(This message has been edited by shortridge)

I thought the pocket was for cigarettes? Gee, in our troop iPods are just as forbidden as cigarettes......

Let's go with a special pocket designed to hold a small map and compass.... or maybe a small first aid kid that won't be in the way of pack straps and still be readily accessible in an emergency. :)

Stosh

Ed,

No, it's not forbidden, but a Scoutmaster who lets it happen is forgetting that there are constraints on the citizenry even in the adult population.

I do believe a PLC should look at things they do and be supportive of some of the big activities of the MB program (we're going to build our next six months campouts around the long rides for Cycling MB, or we're going to have a campout at the capital city campground, so we can tour the State Capitol for Citizenship in the Nation MB), but MBs routinely as program? Wrong answer.

"Working on merit badges is not forbidden during Troop meetings."

I would agree that the rules do not forbid it, but I am in general agreement that it should not be a normal part of Troop meetings. I left a Troop as a youth because of this very issue, sinece the Troop was too focused on MBs and not on camping or other outdoor activities. We often do some MB work before canoeing / biking / backpacking in the form of safety talks, gear demos or inspections, and how-to-use training. This does double duty to prepare for the trip and also covbers some of the MB requirements. We tell the boys this covers SOME of their MB requirements but they will need to do additional work and trips to earn the badge. We do give them credit on their blue cards if they are working on the badge. This generally happens 2-3 times per year at a meeting.

We do devote 2 saturdays every March to run a MB university with a sister Troop. It is very well attended and appreciated by the scouts.

"Working on merit badges is not forbidden during Troop meetings."

No, but it does circumvent the Adult Association method inherent to the MB program. The way it is SUPPOSED to work is that the Scout calls the MBC himself and makes an appointment, and works the requirements outside the troop meeting setting. Even better if the adult is not previously known to the scout. And can "Billy's Dad" really be an "expert" in 15 different subjects? What does it teach the scout if all he has to do to make Eagle is sit in a troop meeting and get spoonfed at the same rate as everyone else? Personal initiative, anyone?

An "occasional" troop MB is not bad...but it should not BE the program.