Arrow of Light at 9 years old

Hi I would like to know what other people think I am a first year Webelos and I have completed 70% of the book I earned my Webelos badge and also completed all the Arrow of Light requirements. I have done all this in four months and all my requirements were signed off by my Cub Masters. I am only 9 years old right now but my birthday is next month on Oct 14 and it is now Sept 5th I will be 10 years old then.

My question is regarding the Arrow of Light requirements my book says Be active in your Webelos den for at least 6 months since completing the fourth grade (or for at least six months since becoming 10 years old), and earn the Webelos badge.

I have asked my Cub Master if I could move to the 2nd year Webelos and work on the remainder of my book requirements to get all 20 requirements then graduate with them in January receiving my Arrow of Light at that time..this will be three months early according to the Arrow of Light requirements.

I am trying to keep a positive mental attitude about this because I worked hard and I feel that there should be special circumstances made for those Scouts that are motivated enough to progress this far. I have learned to set goals from being a scout and my goal is to get my Eagle Scout as soon as possible and to do this I need to move to the next level.

Does this sound fair?? I am only asking to receive my Arrow of Light 3 months early, move to 2nd year Webelows to continue the processes for bridging over and have the ceremonies that I have earned so that I can remember this for the rest of my life.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In reading your post I question whether you are actually 9 years old. I suspect you are the young mans over achieving parent or someone merely trolling.

But in answering your question

The arrow of light has nothing to do with weeb 1 or weeb 2. The requirement read must be 10 and active for 6 months in den as one of the AOL requirements.

Cub scouting and the Arrow of Light have absolutely nothing to do with Eagle. The only thing the Arrow of Light does is allow the young man enter Boy Scouting at 10 years old instead of 11.

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/BoyScouts/AdvancementandAwards/joining.aspx

Here is the hitch you can join boy scouts at 10 if you earn the arrow of light. But the way I read the requirements for the Arrow of Light is you cannot earn it till you are 10 1/2. Not my rules just the way I read them.(This message has been edited by Basementdweller)

Why would you want to do that?

You're probably going to get a lot of responses talking about slowing and enjoying the trail. And they will be right. But here's the guts of the matter:

Do you think it is Scout-like to cheat on some of the requirements, even if your Cubmaster is willing to go along with it? That's what you're asking to do, cheat on one of the requirement. If you're willing to cheat on one requirement, what should that tell us about how you've done on your other requirements.

(And by the way, less you think I'm being harsh here, I agree with Basementdewllers assumptions.)

So there should be "special circumstances" where the requirements for an award are reduced? And those "special circumstances", for you, would be that you have worked hard and deserve it when YOU want it, not when the rules say you have EARNED it.

Sorry, but neither you, your den leader, or your Cubmaster, can change the requirements for any BSA award. Only BSA can do that.

The requirements for AOL that apply to you state to be active in your Webelos den for at least 6 months since becoming 10 years old. That means that you can not CORRECTLY earn your AOL before mid April.

Since you state you have earned your Webelos Rank Award, and have completed all requirements for AOL (except for one), I am sure that you know the Scout Law by heart, and what it means.

Perhaps you should consider what the Scout Law means when it states that "a Scout is Trustworthy, and Obedient".

AOL requirement #1

"Be active in your Webelos den for at least six months since completing the fourth grade (or for at least six months since becoming 10 years old), and earn the Webelos badge."

Assuming that you completed 4th grade in June then you should be eligible to receive your AOL in December. Until that time you have not completed the requirements.

In Boy Scouts you will find that there are time requirements for various requirements, merit badges and ranks. These are part of the requirements and are not negotiable.

Requirements aside, this isn't a race. The important things are to have fun, learn things, make friends, see and do things that you've never seen or done before and did I mention have fun. There are many trails to hike and mountains to climb, enjoy the trail rather than racing to the end. Some who never earn Eagle get more out of scouting than those who earn it at 14.

Hal

If memory serves, and it's been 10 years since this happened, we had the son of a CM "earn" the AOL prior to their 10th birthday, and CM wanted her son to go ahead and join Scouts. Long story short, the paperwork was rejected by SCOUTNET and no troop would accept them.

Scoutnut:

Rereading Ninja's post I see you are right. As a forth grader, April 14 is the soonest he can bridge. I am not sure it would be a good idea even then. I have got to say I would hesitate to put a forth grader, no matter how precocious into a boy led scout troop.

Hal

Ninja,

Why is your goal to "get" Eagle "as soon a s possible"? You become an Eagle through time invested, energy spent, skills developed, knowledge learned, people helped, and leadership given.

I applaud your efforts and "goal setting" but believe you may have missed the point. If you are so far ahead of your peers, you need to reach back and bring them with you. "To help other people" is part of the Cub Scout Promise. Perhaps you can take this time to help your fellows Webelos move ahead. After all, a Pack isn't in a race against itself.

I wish you the best of luck in Scouting and hope you are able to ENJOY yourself and the fellowship of your fellow Scouts on ya'lls (plural your) Trail to Eagle.

Maybe I should spin off ?

But ... (I haven't!)

I got a little lost with all the dates and details when I read what was posted.

This happens a lot and I do at times have to re-read some posts a few times.

I was surprised when I seen that a nine-year old posted what was posted.

On one hand I was shall we say, a little suspicious.

But then I thought about the old TV comedy Dr. Douglas Doogie Howser MD.

While I have never met any really "Gifted" kids, I'm sure there are some out there. (Yes I watched the Jeopardy! Kids Week.

I really don't care who posted what was posted. I don't care how old or young they are.

But it does bring up the question, what or how do we deal with kids that are... "Over Achievers " ?

It's all too easy to just quote the rules and stuff that are laid down. But if we are really taking the idea of making the program fit the boy and not having the boy fit the program? To heart, then maybe the rules and stuff just don't apply.

Ninja

If you are what and who you say you are!

I think having a parent talk with your local Scout Executive is the best way to deal with your problem.

I'm not sure what he can or can't do. But if anything can be done? He is the guy to talk with.

Eamonn.

Wow such great responses I need to clarify one thing for the people reading and replying to this post Yes this is the Father of the Scout as we are both here now reading all the replies to what we posted yesterday. The questions my son has are of serious importance to him and his development if the facts were not presented correctly or in a manner written by a nine year old then the answers would not have complete value. Our intent was only to seek honest non biased opinions to a very serious and complex issue not to deceive ..we are very sorry for the misunderstanding we only hope that you accept our apologies. Nevertheless the facts remain the same. Eamonn thank you so much for your opinion this is the most honest and positive response that we have received regarding this issue.(This message has been edited by ninja)

Rank advancement is only one methods of scouting and should not be viewed as the end.

Earning badges and patches is nice but how is your sons actual scouting experience?

Did he enjoy the pinewood derby last year? build his own car?

Council or district events did he attend those?

Did he attend resident or day camp last summer?

Did he attend a weeblos woods event?

Rank advancement occurs naturally in a well planned program.

Eamon I respectfully disagree with your assessment. Every over achieving parent and Cubmasters son would qualify as gifted. You equate rank advancement with experience and as we know that is not always the case, with Eagle scouts that cannot build fires or tie square knots. We need to remember, even though they may be more intelligent or motivated he is still only 9 years old.