Eagle letter of recommendation?

Hi all, it's been a while since I've been here.

I have been asked to write a letter of recommendation for an Eagle candidate. This is the first time I've been asked to write one, and I don't quite know what to write. What is the Board looking for in a recommendation letter?

I'm hoping some of you can point me in the right direction... :-)

TIA!

EL

First, I trust the young man asked you to be one of his references in advance. I trust you agreed because he's a good young man, a credit to his school and community :) If those are the case, simply share the young man you know. Help his Eagle Board get to know him by you sharing about him :)

Now, if the young man is a bit dubious, or he surprised you with this showing up in your mailbox, I might call him and have a talk with him. If there's anything he doesn't want you to reveal... well, he might have asked the wrong fellow, and it's courteous to give him a chance to back out.

Whatever you do, the reference does not go back to him... send it wherever he, his Scoutmaster, or the Council told you to.

I wish him well. :)

EagerLeader,

Greetings!

If you were not provided with a local (multiple choice rated) questionnaire. I would write a letter who the Life Scout meets the character development in the Scout Oath and Law. (I.E. Life Scout Johnny is trustworthy, he can always be counted on for happily washing dishes during KP for each campout. Life Scout Johnny is helpful, he always helps loads the vehicles and trailers for troop excursion. He helps younger Scouts with their Scouting skills. etc etc).

Like John-in-KC and evmori stated, narratives that explain how the Life Scout meets the criteria for becoming and Eagle Scout.

Congrats to the young man!

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

Your job is to held the Board of Review to determine if the Scout has met the requirements to be an Eagle Scout, particularly the less quantifiable requirements like Scout Spirit and Leadership. It is particularly helpful if you come up with specific examples of when you saw the Scout demonstrate one of the points of the Law or of the Scout Oath or when he showed leadership.

It does no harm is your letter doesn't contain tangible examples, but it is less helpful. You are trying to give the Board of Review examples of what they would have seen if they were there.

EagerLeader,

Greetings again!

With some of the council Eagle Referrals (fill in the blank and sometime short narrative) there is a box if the letter writer is willing (or not willing) to let the Eagle candidate read the letters after the EBOR.

Since you do not have a pre-formated referal and have the liberty to elaborate on the Eagle candidate. You can state many things. If you wish to allow (or not allow) the candidate to see your letter, then why don't you open with that statement. That your referal may (or may not) be shared with the candidate in the beginning or ending of your letter.

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

If you would like the candidate to read your letter I would recommend making a copy and giving it to him personally. Often the EBOR will glance at the letters (how many "Richard is a great kid and should be awarded the Eagle" can a person read?) and only give attention to the rare "Mr. Angelo is a twisted sicko who should be locked up".

Congradulations. Being asked to provide a reference letter means the candidate thinks highly of your opinion of him. FWIW our council has a form letter that can be filled in with instructions. I believe its specific to our council but it will give you an idea of the kind of information they're looking for.

Go to http://www.oldcolonycouncil.org/ and click on the link to Documents and Forms.

SA

Eager,

Crew21 gave you and excellent example of what to write. Take all or even just a couple of the Scout Laws and expound upon how you observed the Scout living up to them. Maybe show how the Scout is living up the the Oath (Duty to God, Country and Self). Maybe give and example of a Good Turn he did, or how he was Prepared.