BSA Lifeguard Examination

I doubt YMCA is out since I get an occasional letter trying to get me to renew my certification still. The problem with reciprocity between BSA lifeguard and both ARC and YMCA is that BSA Lifeguard IS more advanced. ARC and YMCA do NOT cover lakes and waterfronts. They do NOT cover the hand to hand combat, just suck tuck and duck. NO releases, NO front head hold with Body scissors, NO rear headhold with body scissors, and NO double drownings. Also ARC and YMCA do NOT cover row boats, canoes or two man rescues. They emphasis the "go with support" using rescue tubes and buoys. OSrry I cannot go into more details, it's been a while and my books got lost in my latest move. TRUST ME ON THIS ONE :) I was a YMCA Lifeguard Instructor and BSA Lifeguard. I was certified as an instructor just before YMCA made the changes, and had to be "recertified" less than nine months later with the new format came out. I complained to national YMCA about some of the changes and how it will hurt someone.

BSA may not get the national respect they deserve, but there are places who will accept it. AND it is the harder program.

Now in reference to what will get you a job, do what you have to. But there is a world of difference between the programs

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a side note - the link that was posted earlier referenced the old requirements.

BSA Lifeguard has changed. It is now focused on training lifeguards for work, such as summer camp, and not for troop swimming. The two new Aquatics Supervision Courses do training for troop work ( Paddle Craft and Water Rescue )

Age requirements are now 15 to start, and involve more training. In addition, CPR for Professional is required.

The topic is moot for my son. I just checked our council website and there is no planned BSA lifeguard training for this year. So its ARC only. I wanted to see how long the training was. Last year, it was two weekends, sat/sun. Old program? Perhaps. Still at most 40 hours. Same as the ARC one.

The good thing about him getting ARC LG, is next year he can get his Water Safety Instructor certification at 16YRS. ARC/LG is a prerequisite for ARC/WSI. That allows him to teach at public pools. Trust me, that got me through college. Great job for a student.

GERN,

Make sure he gets that WSI and keeps it current. Semiprivate and private swim lessons are where the money is at! Even with the college pool taking their cut, I had friends make their rent and grocery money, or beer money as the case may be, doing 4-6 hours a week in private lessons while I was in college!

As for the Aquatics Supervision Courses do training for troop work ( Paddle Craft and Water Rescue ) are they online or do I need to pay a visit to camp to get these? Also when do they go into effect? i am supposed to be teaching basic canoeing next month.

Yeah, I kept my WSI current through college. Private lessons got me my degree and kept me in adult beverages. Also met the future Mrs. Blansten doing them. It's long since expired. Always thought if I become a victim of the Obama Depression, I'd go get recertified and hit the lanes again. There is as huge shortage of swimming instructors.

In regards to the Aquatics Supervision Courses. These are both hands on, skill oriented courses. About 8 hours or so each, and are taught by a BSA Aquatics Instructor. Certification lasts 3 years. The purpose of these courses is to give unit leaders ( and youth 16 or older ) the skills to conduct unit swims and boating activities.

Neither is now required for unit aquatics activities, but recommended. Key an eye out, because they may be required on down the road.

Requirements for both were just recently released, so many summer camps probably won't be set up to handle them this year. Also, they may not have the skill set to teach them, since Aquatics Instructor is required.

Many summer camps may also drop teaching BSA Lifeguard, again, since the focus has changed, the age requirement increased, the time needed increased, and the CPR Professional requirement added. Some camps probably do not have the resources to do this.

In reference to CPR Professional offered by ARC, will the AHA equivelent, Basic Life Support for the Healthcare Provider work? Gotta know if I should offer that class so that folks can get BSA Lifeguard now

I'm needed to re-cert on my BSA LG this summer.

Be_Prepared: Is this what I should do or am I needing to do the Aquatics Supervision courses instead? Does the BSA LG cover the other two? It is going to be hard enough making arrangements to retest for the BSA LG as I'm not going to camp this summer and will have to arrange with the AI to test me on a day that I can get up there.

Here's the CPR Requirement

Show evidence of current training in American Red Cross First Aid (valid for three years) and American Red Cross CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer (valid for one year) or equivalent (includes any training for a camp health officer recognized by BSA national camp standards).

The Aquatics Supervision courses are designed for unit leaders holding unit swims or boating activities

The BSA Lifeguard is designed to train lifeguard for resident camps

As to what you need, it depends on what you're planning to do. The current BSA guidelines today allow for a unit swim with nothing more than a 21 year that says "I'm in charge" and has done the online Safe Swim Defense. No formal training - just get two guys to act as lifeguards. The Aquatics Supervision courses fill the need of giving some training for swims and boating.

Now that I've stopped laughing at GernBlansten earlier post about Speedos....I too am not as young and skinny as I was when I earned my Scout Lifeguard in 1973, I also got ARC about the same time, then WSI as a College PE class....I always thought YMCA lifesaving was a joke. The kids and adults I worked with just didn't quit stack up. After earning Scout Lifeguard I spent 6 summers on Camp Staff as a Waterfront guy. Instructed, Rowing and Lifesaving, oversaw the Lifeguard program. As others have stated, having ARC and WSI truly helped with college funding and pool lifeguarding employment. I never worked at a pool, too boring after working at a Scout Camp waterfront. But my buddy, who was also a Scout Lifeguard with me at Scout Camp is the City/County Parks and Recreation Aquatic Director. When he's hiring kids for pool lifeguard during the summer, he keeps his eye open for BSA Lifeguards. Economics requires ARC, but my trust and confidence in their abilities goes to those who have earned BSA Lifeguard. in my humble opinion goes to BSA Lifeguards.

John-in-KC: "ARC PREMISE: No one does open water swimming anymore."

This is not really the case, these skills are part of the Waterfront Module training. It's not offered as much since it makes the course longer and requires another exam.

Though both ARC, and BSA LG are fairly good certs for pools and protected waterfronts. However, neither cert prepares one to guard float trips on fast water. It's a whole different game on the river where a pool guard, or a waterfront guard can get into trouble very quickly. If the person who's guarding your float trip can't tell you what a smiling hydralic is, or how to spot undercuts or clear strainers, then it's time to look for easier water.