Eagle Scout Project Approval

For our unit, both myself (Scoutmaster) and the Committee Chair review the project write-up for our Life Scouts before they go to the district advancement committee member. We ask that such things as expected materials, timelines, contingency plans, number of needed volunteers and how one will feed them, are bathroom facilities available, etc. be included in their plans. No, we don't ask them what tool will be needed to drive a nail but somewhere in his right up it should say he will need a hammer and also how that hammer will be supplied (borrowed? donated? bought?).

An Eagle project should be a learning experience. And yes, a 13 year old will have a much different capability than a 17 year old. But both should be able to develop a plan (written!) and carry out the leadership of that plan regardless of age.

While I agree with Bob White's assessment (see below) I would put special emphasis on #2. I'm not sure what selecting a plan means but not only should the Scout develop a plan, the "goodness" of the plan should be critiqued. Once the Scout has gotten our approval, we have them contact the advancement committee who supplies someone to review their write-up.

1) Is the scout eligible to work on the eagle project?

2) Did the scout select and develop a plan

3) Will the scout be giving leadership one or more other persons in the project?

4) Is the project for an approved benefitting party?

5) Is the project done on approved property?

6) Does the scout have the written approval of the required parties?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My last candidate came up with his project hand-written wanting my signature (Monday). I took the paper and said I'd get it back to him. I then asked his father if the scope of the project was sufficient for a decent project and he said yes. I signed it handed it back to the boy who turned it in the next day (Tuesday) with plans to start the project before the week was out. He got his approval on Friday and he began work on Saturday. He is now working on his final write-up. I'm hoping he finishes up before school starts. He'd like to finish before he turns 15.

To those who might question the process, yes, a boy can do the entire requirement without adult intervention except for maybe a couple of signatures here and there.

Was the wording ok on the application? I don't know, I didn't read it. Were all the t's crossed and i's dotted? Beats me. Did the boy do sufficient work? Yep, post construction cleanup and landscaping for a church. A ton of work! Council seemed to be pleased with his idea and the church was really pleased with the work.

Could it be that all this grandious effort is a result of adult intervention and not leaving the boy alone to show HIS leadership in the process?

Stosh