Eagle Scout coordinator?

This thread really reflects the varied experiences folks have with the Life to Eagle process (e.g. micromanager, party planner, mentor/advisor)!

Eagle Scout Advisor/coordinator/whatever is not an official BSA position but it is important for Scouts to have an advocate who is familiar with the Eagle process, expectations and paperwork to work with on a regular basis. This is not usually the boy's parent nor is this the District Eagle Board representative.

The role of the Advisor (I like Advisor better than Coordinator, it emphasizes the mentoring and coaching aspect), encourages the Scout to proceed but does not make phone calls, fill out paperwork, plan and execute the project, make copies, etc. The Advisor supports the Scout in understanding the requirements and sometimes assists the Scout in meeting with other adults who may not be as familiar with the process or BSA policies.

One of the things I hear a lot of as a Scouter is troops that add extra requirements to advancement in their interpretation of the requirements. While the process needs to be rigorous and meaningful, you need to be careful to keep expectations realistic and within BSA parameters.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"From his first Scouting experience up to this point hes been given the exact requirements to get to the next step. Theres always been someone from afar keeping an eye on him to provide guidance when needed through his adventure."

Therein is the problem, I believe. The boy has been "trained" throughout his Scouting career that some adult will lead him by the hand and deflect all the bumpy things that might knock him off balance. He gets to the Eagle rank and the only way he can finish is for an adult to guide him this way and that past the bumps.

In the the New Leader Essentials training we learn that a boy in Scouting progresses from dependence on others to independence. At what point does he get to "independence" if not at the Eagle rank? Who is going to hold his hand when he turns 18 and is out?

Thank you! I fully expected someone would pick up on that line, apparently the from afar wasnt clear enough. Our role is to guide, not do it for him, right?

One more time, I am talking about the application, not prior to.

Are you saying providing the requirements for each rank is not necessary? Or for his merit badges? Why not just let him figure those out too? Lets prepare him for his Eagle now by starting with guessing his way through his Tenderfoot. Why do we need to give him a handbook? A dedicated Scout can figure it out on his own, otherwise he must not want it that badly... A great life lesson cant start too soon you know!

• 4 years later...

In our troop this position is a committee member that is also an Eagle scout. I am new to this position and this thread has helped me understand the different ways that it can be looked at. I am also trying to write a wood badge ticket right now so very helpful with that as well.

I have a Eagle Coach who is the former SM. I don't feel having someone with that degree of expertise in the eagle process on hand takes a thing away from my role as SM. However, with this having been said, my unit is large, averaging 35-40 scouts over the past several years. I have ASM advisers for each patrol, the junior officers, the Chaplain Aide, OA Rep, and Quartermaster. I also have an ASM high Adventure adviser, an ASM "Big Trip" adviser, ASM water sports adviser, and ASM leave no trace adviser. I also have an ASM of instruction to ride heard on instruction of eagle required merit badges, and make sure scouts always have someone qualified to work with. "I'm a strong believer in the more hands the lighter the load". The idea in involving all these adults is not to do it for the scout, but to ensure there is an adult expert available for one on one mentoring when and where the officer/scout desires to interact with a qualified adult. Each SM does things differently, I recruit, train, and mentor a qualified corps of adult leaders, and serve as adviser/mentor to the SPL and PLC, and serve on as one on the unit's "Key Three".

We must have been abused and neglected in the 60's and 70's. Had to figure it out for ourselves.

Include the '80s in that comment. I was the first scout in our troop to earn Eagle in 5 years, so I really had to figure things out for myself. My "Eagle project worksheet" was a faded photo copy that you could barely read. My first Eagle project was 50% completed when I got the letter from the council office letting me know that it was not approved.

Granted, we were a small troop on an Army base in Germany, so there were not really a lot of expert resources.

On the flip-side of the argument, I also did not have a overzealous council hack nit-picking every aspect of my project and really LOOKING for a good reason fail me. (speaking about my second Eagle project..... long story)

So, I think some things are harder for scouts (like my sons) in large troops with lots of resources. And..... some things are a bit easier. I for one, think its good for a Life scout to have a good Eagle mentor to help guide them through the process. Not talking about running the project for them. Or micro-managing it. Just giving them some pointers or advice on where to start, and how to avoid some typical pitfalls.

One of our old council's Eagle boards had such a reputation for tough project scrutiny (and BORs) that many scouts were intimidated by fear of rejection. Thats just NOT right. I know several good scouts that aged out as Life scouts where this was (at least) a factor.