Eagle - Yes or No

OK my 2 cents.

In my opinion, a criminal charge or even a conviction would not by itself automatically get a no vote. I would let a Board convene and hear the scout out. During the BOR I would want the scout to be able to demonstrate to me, through his words and deeds that if he had done something wrong, he knows it was wrong, and is repentant. If that were so, I would be inclined to vote yes, assuming all the other requirements had been met. Much would depend on how I saw the scout at the time of the BOR and what I believed his attitude and actions would be going forward.

Why, because I believe one can repent, see the error of their actions and become a better person. I've seen it happen, especially in adolescent youth.

BTW, I do know of a scout who had been convicted a selling cocaine to fellow students. He was denied his Eagle rank at his BOR, largely based on the issue of selling drugs. He appealed and was eventually awarded his Eagle. I don't know what he's doing today. It's a case that occurred locally several years ago.

SA

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im late into this whole topic because the site would not let me in  The reference has been made to being convicted of possession of "drugs". In the 60's, when I was a scout, possession of any amount of marijuana was a felony in the state of Texas, not so in New York, and could actually have been considered a minor offense in California depending on the circumstances. So you are or are not qualified to be considered an Eagle scout not based on what you do but where you live? You are or are not qualified to be considered an Eagle scout based not on what you have done but what the EBOR can prove you may have done? Ive posted concerning a case where a boy was promoted to Eagle while on the juvenile sex offenders list. Everyone at the local High School knew the offender and the victim but at an EBOR I cant ask about the incident and the boy cant be faulted for refusing to speak about the incident? Yes Ed in my opinion, having been around a very long time, the concept of what constitutes and Eagle Scout has definitely diminished. What has happened to rectitude of conduct? When Bart Simpson says Nobody saw me do it...you cant prove a thing! it may be funny but when a Scout says it at an EBOR it should be grounds for denial. An EBOR is not a court of law and not required to follow the same rules of evidence.

LongHaul

Longhaul,

If the candidate denied his illegal activity, or denied that the action was wrong, in spite of clear evidence to the contrary, and I don't necessarily mean evidence that would withstand legal scrutiny, I would have to agree. But that is not the same as a candidate who acknowledges making mistakes, being truely sorry for those mistakes and pledges to conduct himself differently in the future for the right reasons.

SA

Scoutingagain,

I was posting in response to nldscout, who was posting from the perspective of a criminal judge. From the original post I would have to agree that the EBOR should have been held no matter what criminal activity had taken place immediately prior. The members would then execute their duty and vote for or against advancement. The scout in question had, between the time of the EBOR being scheduled and the EBOR being held , participated in the commission of a felonious act, had been arrested gone to trial and been convicted. I feel it would be a bit soon to accept his word that he is sorry, and It wont ever happen again. I tend to think that his attitude on the day the EBOR was scheduled was Id never do a thing like that! Absolving him so soon, in my opinion would be sending the wrong message. Commit a crime, say your sorry and all is immediately forgiven? This scout should be made to feel that he has not only broken the law but has relinquished his credibility with his leaders and his peers. He must now regain the trust of his fellows within the Scouting community as well as satisfy his legal obligation to the people of the State in which he committed the crime. Im not saying he should never be promoted to Eagle just not till he has shown himself worthy.

LongHaul

Ed,

My opinion would be based on the reason the Scout made a bomb not based on him being convicted.

Several reasons- Was he effectively represented in court? Was there a plea bargain involved? Was the judge making an example of this Scout? That is just a few of the reasons.

Also:

Once a person has been charged and the punishment meted out and the person completes the punishment, I am willing to listen to what the individual has decided to do. I am not willing to continue the punishment phase. I have not been appointed their personal lifelong judge.

I would rather a person make a decision to become a productive citizen than be a convicted felon for the remainder of their life. I believe that a person pays for a crime and the bill is paid in full. (I also realize that there are circumstances that prevents this from happening but I (hope)do not believe this is one of them.)

So, I would like for the full judgment and punishment phases to be completed prior to having an EBOR. This would allow me to inquire about the specifics but not use the "convicted felon" label to influence my vote.

I am conflicted about this but I want the Scout to have the full benefit of a well informed judgment on the matter of the Eagle. fb