Are patches required? Which ones?

I was thinking about putting together an additional uniform and wondering are any of the patches are actually required? We talk a lot about people putting the wrong stuff on the uniform, but is there any issue with not putting stuff on?

I've have a shirt without knots (Eagle, AOL) and I've had a couple people call me out on that.

I'll obvious put on the council strip, unit number, POR patch before I wear it, but is it actually incorrect to not have them?

I personally wear whatever I've earned to wear or should wear. That means my Eagle knot and my religious award, my Triple Crown dangly thing and my OA lodge flap. I wasn't under the impression that those things were mandatory, I'm sure they aren't.

As an Adult, if we show pride in our uniforms, the Boys will show pride in theirs.

Besides, one can learn alot about a guy from his uniform if everything is in place.

Personnaly, I have more than two uniforms (but only two I fit in).

One is Distict/Council uniform. On that one I wear the appropriate council patch, Trained patch, three Cub knots, two Boy Scout knots, and the DAM knot. I also wear my OA flap on the pocket and have a velcroed position patch. This is for those who do not know me.

On my Unit shirt, I wear the council patch, Trained patch, the unit numbers, position patch, and OA patch. The Unit guys know what I am about.

You can wear all, some, or none of your knots. The only required patches are council, unit (if in unit), and position patch. I would highly reccomend the "Trained" patch if you are trained fopr the position to keep District/Council personnel from asking you to attend training for the position.

Just my $0.02.

Rick

"I'm not seeing "triple crown dangly thing" in the Insignia Guide."

Not everything is listed in the IG.

The "Triple Crown" award is a High Adventure award given to those who have gone to all 3 High Adventure bases. So same rules apply to it as to the other high adventure base patches.

If you are checking the insignia guide about anyone's uniform other than your own, you have lost perspective.

Nothing is required on the uniform. A uniform itself is not required. Some units, my included, make the uniform seem required, but in fact it is not, and a boy can do scouting without one entirely.

As for what goes on your uniform, there are no consequences for putting anything on your uniform that you want to other than the annoying nagging of others. You may also leave off anything that you want. I have full on decorated shirts and empty shirts. None of my shirts have "knots" on them.

If you are personally interested in having your uniform be proper, that's great!

In regards to the Triple Crown Award, do the now non-existant HA bases qualify? Have one guy I am trying to recruit who's been to Philmont, Maine National High Adventure Area, and Land Between the Lakes National Outdoor Adventure Center.

"In regards to the Triple Crown Award, do the now non-existant HA bases qualify? Have one guy I am trying to recruit who's been to Philmont, Maine National High Adventure Area, and Land Between the Lakes National Outdoor Adventure Center."

No idea.

The form to get the award only has info on Philmont, Northern Tier, and Florida HA Sea Base AND the patch has the logos from those 3 bases ONLY. So the others (Maine, Land Between the Lakes, and Region 7 Canoe Base) are not included.