Announcement Module
No announcement yet.

OA ?????

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
Conversation Detail Module
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • OA ?????

    May be some one can anwser my ?. I'm back in scouting after 15 years. I'm Cubmaster of my sons pack.I was a
    boy scout 1 council to the south of were I live now.
    Do I have to transfer or can I remain a OA member were
    I was.

  • #2
    What the official position is - I don't know. But I have a friend who moved to Atlanta some 15 years ago, works with a troop there yet maintains his OA membership in our lodge.


    • #3
      I'm not 100% sure of the right answer.
      I would think that as long as you keep the dues paid you can belong to either your old Lodge or the Lodge in the council where you now live.
      But in my opinion now that you are an adult you might want to think about the adult role in a Lodge:
      "Selection of the adult is based on the ability to perform the necessary functions to help the Order fulfill its purposes, and not for recognition of service, including current or prior achievement and position.
      The individual will be an asset to the Order because of demonstrated abilities that fulfill the purpose of the Order.
      The adult leader's membership will provide a positive role model for the growth and development of the youth members of the lodge"
      If you now do your Scouting in the Council that you are in? Are you really going to fulfill these purposes in the old Council?
      Sure it might be nice to wear that old flap, but I would hope that we are more than flap wearers?


      • #4
        I can't quote chapter and verse, but I seem to recall from a previous discussion thread that you must join the Lodge in the council where you are registered. And flaps may be worn only by Lodge members in good standing.


        • #5
          Once inducted into the Order of the Arrow, you are a member for life.

          However, you must join the lodge associated with your local council. This is done by providing some sort of evidence that you were in Order of the Arrow (old membership card, or perhaps your old council can verify your membership for you). If you completed the Vigil Honor, you should have a certficate to that effect.

          On the uniform, only active (i.e. dues-paying) members of Order of the Arrow may wear the ribbon and the lodge flap.


          • #6
            Thanks guys I did find out on the OA web site, need to
            be a member of the Lodge in the council in which you are
            reg. I have contacted my old council to get my records.


            • #7
              There are no lifetime or honorary memberships in the OA. [I believe this is stated in the OA handbook and the guide to officers and advisors].

              To be a member, however, one must only go through the induction sequence one time. After that, he may retain [or reactivate?] his membership by paying dues to the lodge of the council to which he is currently registered.