Committee Roles and Responsibilites

Looking for some advice.

We have had a lot of pack and committee leadership changes recently... the one I'm concerned about is the Treasurer. Our outgoing treasurer turned over all of the records to the committee chair to pass off to the incoming treasurer (formerly the Secretary). However, the Committee Chair has decided to dual-hat as the Committee Chair and Treasurer, and leave the Secretary as just that.

I'm concerned about this as I feel the Committee Chair, Treasurer and Secretary should be (for many reasons) seperate individuals. However, I can't find anything that specifically states the Committee Chair CAN'T dual hat as the treasurer.

Thoughts?

The closest thing that might help is on the BSA's website ( http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/CubScouts/Leaders/About/ThePack/pcomm.aspx) in the section that talks about the Pack Committee. It states that the Pack Committee must consist of at least three members and actually nams those three members as Committee Chair, Secretary and Treasurer. It would be logical to infer from this that the Committee Chair can not also be the Treasurer since that role would have to be filled by a different individual.

But we're talking about the Boy Scouts of America - logic can sometimes be fluid with them - I doubt that Council or National would make a fuss about shared roles as long as there are at least three committee members.

Your best bet instead is to get together with the other committee members and explain to the Committee Chair that, while you are sure s/he would never do this, this is the kind of arrangement that throws up red flags all over the place regarding potential for financial shenanigans and none of you feel comfortable with this arrangement and would prefer to have a separate treasurer that is being overseen by the Committee Chair and the committee. If the CC insists on taking the role, then tell him/her you will agree only if all records are copied and turned over to another member of the committee that can act as an informal auditor. If there is any puchback from this, I would resign from the committee immediately - as a member of the committee you do have a fiduciary responsibility and I wouldn't want to be anywhere near this situation.

After experience we look for two things in a treasurer. The first is competence at working with a zillion details and keeping them organized. The other is transparency, or making it so everyone can understand those details. That helps catch errors, including the malicious kind. We didn't have malicious problems but we did go from being very flush to almost broke in 2 months. Accounting errors that caused all sorts of head aches. If your pack is large and lots of money is coming and going then I'd push for one person doing it, assuming you can find the one person that's capable. It has nothing to do with whether you trust the CC, it's just that he has plenty of other things to do.

Oh, and welcome to the forums.

Thanks... that's my take on it as well.

I'm not concerned about fiscal shenanigans, I do trust the CC in that regard... but perception is reality in many cases and this may be one of them. If I do start to see an issue developing in that regard, I plan to address it with the CC and the COR and see if we can come to an amicable resolution.

There are only two official committee positions. Committee chair and committee member. The details are assignments and can be cut and assembled to fit as necessary or as best fitting the people available.

Personally, I think treasurer is the one position that should NOT be mixed with other roles. It's hard to keep organized. I'd also not have the treasurer be the spouse of the committee chair or scoutmaster. It's too much in one house.

And I agree, it is about transparency and perception. Who sees the monthly statements? Who can write checks or deposit money? Who approves the money being spent?

--------------------------

It's also about feelings. When too much is in one place, people will feel left out. Left out of decisions. Left out of discussions. Left out of information that they may not really need to know but that helps keep them informed and feeling part of the scouting unit. Even when doing things right, people are might lose trust because the decisions are hidden.

• 3 weeks later...

Excellent comments so far.

I'm Chartered Organization Rep and Treasurer for the pack I volunteer with. Also Tiger Den Leader, Membership Chair and what have you.

I take expense reports from everyone else and pay expenses.  When I have expenses,  I give them to the Committee Chair who reviews them and writes a check I give him for whatever amount he deems to be appropriate.

I also give the Committee Chair the monthly checking account statement which includes images of all checks written.  When the CC reviews the checking account statement,  the only check made out to my name he should see is one he has written himself,  for my expenses.

I print off a monthly financial report for the Pack Committee meeting,  which may be year to date revenues and expenses,  or revenue and expenses for the past month.

This seems to keep everyone pretty happy and reasonably well informed.