X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does your pack meet in the summer?

This is a spin off from a thread about troops. Made me curious what other packs do in the summer.
    Regular meeting schedule, limited meetings, nothing, or something else?

We have a few activities in the summer but not regular meeting. We will have a few bigger events day camp and family camp. We also will meet to go on a hike or go fishing. We have done bike rides in the past also, We try to meet at least once or twice a month. Sometimes I wish we would meet more even if it is just for short hour or two outings. I think it would help with retention of cubs.

Comment

We meet about 2 times a month as a pack. It's not a specific day. We schedule events as we find them. We always look for freebees or discount nights for skating or bowling. We also team up with other Packs to do joint events.

Comment

We do our Montly activity for the summer time pack award. I also adopted the "wednesday night hike with the cubmaster" usually at local parks, bring the whole family type things. I got the idea from here. I have recieved a lot of positive feeback from it. my replacement plans to keep it going this summer.

Comment

Every other week, but not meetings but activities.

Comment

We have a VERY active summer program. We camp at least twice.. offer two activites a month for the Summer Activity Program, and meet at least every other week.. (normally every week)

We've found it helps with retention if the boys don't leave for the summer.

Comment

We try to provide at least three pack activities: a picnic in June, a hike in July, and a day at the pool in August. We also invite parents to attend as many district and council events as possible. The most important is day camp, but last summer there was also a cub mobile race, a fishing derby, a jamboree and mud cubs. Our main focus last year was helping every scout earn the summertime award. They had to attend one event inJune, one event in July and one event in August. We tried to invite everyone to lots of events, so that they could schedule around their family calendar. All but one of my scouts earned the award. This summer I think I will add a den outing each month. We don't get to do enough outings during the year. Too much rain in the Pacific Northwest

Comment

I only took over as Cubmaster this past fall and no we do not meet in the summer. We finish up at the end of April and then are off until school starts back up in the fall. We may try to introduce the one event a month during the summer of 2014 but just do not have the leadership in place to do it this year. Our pack website does promote council events that happen over the summer though.

Comment

Our Pack has three scheduled activities over the summer - bowling in June, a swim party in July, and a fishing derby in August. We do not have Pack or Den meetings those three months. We also encourage our boys to attend camp - we select a day and an overnight camp together and encourage all our members to attend one or both of those.

Comment

We do three PAck summer events, a sport in June (alternating softball, ultimate frisbee), a service in July (either invasive weed removal or grabage clean-up, but last summer was storm drain stenciling), and the Raingutter Regatta in August, all on weekday evenings when our Pack Meeting would normally be. I encourage Den's to stay active, and have had success with a Saturday afternoon hike for my new first-year Webelos. But none of these activities needed to be more coordinated then "ok, lets all show up at this place/time" with one person bringing supplies. I promote the council resident and daycamps, but don't stress out about trying to get stuff done to arrange groups to attend them.

Comment

We do three PAck summer events, a sport in June (alternating softball, ultimate frisbee), a service in July (either invasive weed removal or grabage clean-up, but last summer was storm drain stenciling), and the Raingutter Regatta in August, all on weekday evenings when our Pack Meeting would normally be. I encourage Den's to stay active, and have had success with a Saturday afternoon hike for my new first-year Webelos. But none of these activities needed to be more coordinated then "ok, lets all show up at this place/time" with one person bringing supplies. I promote the council resident and daycamps, but don't stress out about trying to get stuff done to arrange groups to attend them.

Comment

Our Pack is really active in the summer. In June we do a "end of year" bridging ceremony at our former Cubmaster's house. In July we have a Pack camp out, and in August we travel to the San Francisco Bay Area and spend the night on the U.S.S. Hornet. We also do Day camp and hopefully this year we can get more members of our Pack to do the council family camp. All of our Dens meet at least twice a month. In addition, we also do some service projects. It brings the boys closer and they really enjoy the activities. One bummer this year, our annual scout day at the minor league baseball is next weekend instead of the summer. It will be interesting to see how it pans out.

Comment

Since this is my first year with Cub Scouts, I asked the same question. We will meet twice in May (as normal) for den meetings, once at a Pack meet. June, we will have our cub scout day camp for 5 days. In July, I am helping organized one pack meet (water themed), so that everyone will be eligible for the Summertime award (something our pack has never did.) In August, we will have a welcome back pack meet and our den meets will resume in September with the new kids who join then. I was told although our boys earned tiger rank at B&G in February, to use these months to work on other things (electives, belt loops, awards, etc.) and save the wolf requirements for September when the new boys join (which is ok with me.) So many of our kids are in other sports or are going out of town for some of the summer - this will make sure they don't miss a ton of stuff.

Comment

• Faith
                            Faith commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Ah, let me re-phrase, as I didn't explain fully. When they earned the Tiger rank in February, they then continued to work on Tiger until June 1st (beltloops, electives, etc.)

After that, all activities are considered wolf (although we don't do things together at this point until September, that's what they would be marked as, I assume - our first year so still feeling all that out.) Not sure how many of our boys will actually work on stuff over the summer (beltlopops, awards, etc.) but when they attend day camp in June, its as Wolves (as we will have some new Tigers there that were recruited in the schools.) So if I mark any of that down, it will be under wolf. I love the whole arrow points idea, just need to research more on it so I understand how it works for those that do want to work on any things over the summer.

When I said 'save the wolf requirements for September' - mainly meant the requirements in the book that we'll do a majority of together (haven't fully read over those yet, need to ASAP.) I realize I clumped all that together in my reply, instead of elaborating on each part.

We will be going for the summertime award this year and I was told they would get Tiger rank for that (even though they are wolves, online and our scout shop both agree they get the rank they just came out of, not the one they are just starting.) I hope that makes sense.

• King Ding Dong
                            King Ding Dong commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Faith you are on the right track with your plan. Just realize that with your new Wolf and Bear dens they can work on electives over the summer and bank them, but you cannot award any of the arrow points until they receive the Wolf or Bear rank badge. Kind of goes against Immediate Recognition, but BSA wants you to focus on the requirements. You are smart to not work on the requirements until the school year starts as you may pick up new members. However, if you have a den plan laid out for the year there is no reason the cubs cannot get a jump on the "with your family" requirements.

The cubs need to attend all three activities for the pin, the den and pack need 50% attendance for the ribbons.

http://usscouts.org/bbugle/bb0406/bb-bl.html

• Faith
                            Faith commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Right, same way the Tiger Cub electives went (they didn't get any elective beads until the 15 achievements were completed.) Since we were so pressed for time, they did start the electives in September and got their beads for them in March after the B&G. I will mention the 'with your family' requirements but most parents will probably wait (I know my son most likely will.) As for the summertime award, we have camp in June, I myself am orchestrating a water based pack meet in July (with the support of our new cubmaster) and we will ahve a pack meet in August. He got all the requirements printed (I believe the page you linked is one of the ones I saw him have last roundtable) so we should be good to go! I know at least 3 of our 5 regulars will be coming to all 3 (they don't miss ANYTHING), so we should be good on that. As for the pack...heh, I can't speak for the other dens. Hopefully they will want to participate as well ) I was just confused on why our boys would get the Tiger pin for the summertime award, instead of the Wolf (not complaining, that will give them a chance for all of them each year if they stick with it - it just threw me off that it would still be Tiger.)

So I was looking at the Cub Scout Outdoor Activity Award today....and I wanted to ask others.

While I love the idea of this award....I feel like it's whole purpose is to promote, there-by raising money for, District/Council Cub Scout Resident/Day Camp.

I'm curious how others feel about the award.

Comment

• King Ding Dong
                            King Ding Dong commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I do not know about your Council, ours charges $60 for a full week of day camp. 9am -3:30 pm. Or less for a twilight 5:30-8:00. Don't see much fundraising going on with those prices. 1 night Dad and Lad or Mom and Me is $35/person. a bit more but includes 2 meals, tents and use of the camp pool. I really don't see this as a huge moneymaker for the Council.

• King Ding Dong
                            King Ding Dong commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I do not know about your Council, ours charges $60 for a full week of day camp. 9am -3:30 pm. Or less for a twilight 5:30-8:00. Don't see much fundraising going on with those prices. 1 night Dad and Lad or Mom and Me is $35/person. a bit more but includes 2 meals, tents and use of the camp pool. I really don't see this as a huge moneymaker for the Council.

• dedkad
                            dedkad commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Our Day Camp is $105 for the whole week. It costs way more than that to run the Day Camp, so it is not a money maker for our Council either. I think it is great that they promote the Day Camp and reward the boys who attend.

Our pack continues with monthly pack meetings throughout the summer. Regular den meetings end in May and restart in September. We also have a few council camps (Twilight Camp - June, Day camp - July, Wolf/Bear Weekend - July).

Comment

Working...
                          X