Registering A Chartered Organization Rep

During this past year, I had occasion to attempt to register a new Chartered Organization Rep for each of two units. In both cases this was after a COR had been appointed during rechartering, so this amounted to a change in the person occupying that position.

In both cases I followed the normal process for appointing a new adult leader, with the existing COR signing the adult leader application for the new COR.

In both cases, the new person wound up being registered as a Committee Member.

Is there a special procedure needed to appoint a new COR? I'm wondering in particular if the Institutional Head needs to sign the application appointing a COR rather than the old COR.

Per the BSA Adult Application, second page, under Approval Required - Unit Scouters :

"The chartered organization representative is approved by the head of the chartered organization."

Since a COR can not approve a COR, he was registered as a MC instead.

My favorite is when the troop recharters and sets the COR to a specific person. Then the pack recharters and sets it to a different person. The next year, it happens all over again. The charter org executive just signs the recharter paperwork and never notices a difference. Troop never learns until the next year.

And then the troop criticizes the council for not getting the charter names correct.(This message has been edited by fred8033)

fred

The troop or pack does not have the authority to and can NOT assign the COR, only the IH has that authority. The COR is indeed a registered member of the BSA and receives a membership card, as I do as COR/CC of our crew, while the IH is not. That seperation gives the IH the ability to quickly override or replace the COR should that ever become necessary.

BadenP - Yeah. I know that and you know that. Our IH signs the re-charter paperwork and doesn't usually pay much attention to who's who on the list. He might say ... "oh look, Tim is an ASM. Tim's a good guy." But the IH rarely is a scouting expert and has no concept of the significance of a COR.

Basically, IH usually don't pay attention. Volunteers often don't pay attention OR just don't realize what's going on. Until a few years ago, our pack and troop were doing it. By accident, we were flip-flopping the COR at recharter time. Registrar office never said anything as it was four months between the change. It just kept flip flopping.

To be honest, there's a good question here... I'll spin it off.

Hello Scout Nut,

>

I thought that might be the case after I saw the designated COR registered as a CM. But that was just a guess on my part. Thank you for the reference.

Just another example of very complicated membership rules which even experienced leaders are unable to administer properly. In these cases, it probably doesn't matter. In other cases they might be very critical.

Why register an adult under a different function? It would make far more sense for the registrar kick the application back for correction. I've had apps returned for much more minor issues. It's a lost opportunity to educate the unit and get the registration right.

My favorite is when the troop recharters and sets the COR to a specific person. Then the pack recharters and sets it to a different person. The next year, it happens all over again. The charter org executive just signs the recharter paperwork and never notices a difference. Troop never learns until the next year.

My favorite was the CO having 2 CORs, one for the pack and one for the troop. Don't ask how the council didn't correct it. All I can think was that b/c the units had 2 different numbers (don't ask), No one noticed.

Gotta ask why no one mentioned the UC (Unit Commissioner)?

The UC works directly with the COR in seeing about the COR's training and the units they supervise. UC have computer system login that units don't have

The other question is are you putting in the position codes? The codes are listed on the first couple of pages. If you don't note it (CO) on the application then the registra can only assume Committee Member (MC).

I AM the Unit Commissioner for one of the two units where I assisted in trying to change the COR during the year. And yes I had the correct code entered.

I have to presume it didn't go through because the apps weren't signed by the IH as described earlier. However, since no one at the council explained why, that's still a supposition.