I know that each person is different, but I also know it takes a certain kind of person to be a SM. So here goes my question. If you had a boy bring his book to you on a campout wanting to show his knowledge of requirements, would you take the time to listen and sign his book? This would be during unscheduled/free time not scheduled activities.

Yes, IF it was truely " unscheduled/free time "

However, just because the scout has free time does not mean I do and he may not have any idea why I can't/won't work on it at that point.

Also, I need time off too.

In our troop, a scout can request his skills to be tested at any time that he feels that he is ready. The skills can be signed off by the junior leaders, including his Patrol Leader (assuming that his PL has already acquired the skills and has been tested. In our troop the scheduled skill activities only serve to teach the scouts the skills. They then practice skills and then tested when they are ready.

As for your question, I always stop what I am doing to listen to the scout. I would refer him to one of the junior leaders if he is available. If the none of the junior leaders is available, then I would be more than happy to review the scout skill, test him, and sign off his requirement if he has successfully demonstrated the skills. By the way, we make sure that our junior leaders have mastered necessary skills and follow the same steps. For new junior leaders, one of the ASMs would serve as a coach to that junior leader in the process and give him the feedback on his techniques and/or the skill demontration.

1Hour

As long as the scout did not have a patrol responsibility at the time, and as long as I was not already working with another scout, I would happily sit down with him. If that was not possible i would set a time with him when we could sit down.

My sons have a SM who will give time when he has it, and he and his assistants go on campouts with the idea that they are there simply to ensure safety and to be available if their advice/help is sought out. Though they encourage the boys to go to their PLs, they won't turn a boy away without making sure they set a time--soon--to talk.

Isn't that what we are here for? THE BOYS! I would never turn a boy away if at all possible. There's normally nothing I'm doing on a campout that is more important than helping and teaching a boy.

If it's a scoutcraft skill through First Class, most of that instruction is done by the Green Bars & Instructors in our unit, and they sign off the requirement at the time it's taught/demonstrated, whether at a meeting or outing. If a Scout comes to me to sign off something someone else taught him, I need the Green Bar who did the instruction to verify it for me anyway, so our lads are conditioned to get the signoffs from whoever taught them. That's a bit of a transition for newly-crossed-over Scouts, who are accustomed to adults doing everything, but they catch on very quickly.

That said, they also know that they come to me to verify service hours, activities, Scout Spirit, Leadership, participation, and of course for the SM conference. I prefer doing that during outings (more time and fewer distractions), or before meetings as a less desirable alternative.

On outings, as much as possible, I try to look like I'm sitting around doing nothing, so that the Scouts will be more inclined to "bother" me. BTW, I don't treat the adults' campsite like a "snake pit" where boys enter at their peril. I like them coming over, so they can see what we're cooking (and scam the leftovers -- we always cook plenty extra), see how the campsite's laid out, get the football scores, and basically see "what right looks like".

That said, I've seen units at District and Council activities in which the SM was more like the Wizard of Oz; you know: "...I am the great and powerful -- pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!" Ego trips...

KS

In an old course that shall remain nameless (but let's just say, "I used to be a Beaver...") I heard that we spend all this time trying to open the boy's mailbox of interest. When it is finally open one should throw as much of the proper kind of mail as one can until that box is closed. If a scout is willing to come to you, the box is open, get your mailbag and let's go!!

First of all, thanks to everyone for the replies.

Trevorum, there is no story behind this. Just that my son knows a lot of the skills that are requirements for Tenderfoot and if it is possible that he can keep working along at his own pace he will. If he has to wait til all the boys are ready to do it, he will give up and not care. I don't want to see him loose his interest in Scouts.

With all that said, I want to add that my son has a wonderful SM and I didn't want him to bother her if he shouldn't be.

kittle,

If I am misunderstanding your post, I apologize and please correct me, but it sounds as if the new scouts in your troop - including your son - are being exected to pass advancements together (or at least at the same pace). Sort of like the Webelos model.

If this is the case, it is not the model for advancement within a troop. Each boy should advance at his OWN pace. Some will be go-getters and will proactively seek out advancement opportunities (like your son). Others will tend to hang back a bit, whether because of missing out on advancement opportunities like campouts and hikes or because they may be a bit more shy about just asking that older scout (or a SM) to sign their book.

I'd have your son make sure he understands the advancement policies in your troop. As other posters have pointed out, in many troops, the youth leaders instruct and are authorized to sign of on the T'foot and 2nd Class requirements. This avoids a bottleneck at the adult's pencil and is also sometimes less intimidating for the new guy.

The bottom line is that no fellow should feel like his advancement is being delayed because of the other guys.