Merit Badge Pamphlets - how to identify current ones?

We have a fairly extensive library of merit badge pamphlets. The problem is that some are more than a few years old. I know that some have changed significantly and others have only had the requirements updated.

Is there an easy way to identify which books have changed and by how much? In other words, is there an identifier to tell no-change, minor change, major change?

I don't know of any way to tell if the merit badge pamphlet in your hand is the most recent version or not.

The year of the printing will be inside on the left on the first paper page. That may give you a clue.

Given your sense of humor you'll probably understand why they don't print THIS IS THE NEWEST VERSION on the inside front cover of every merit badge pamphlet. :)

Unc.

Good morning,

I usually check

http://usscouts.org/mb/mbbooks.html

every six months or so. I don't remember if there is a means of being notified when updates occur, but there are about four pages of explanation before the actual list.

Since re-organizing 15 years ago our troop has made a point of puchasing a copy of the "Boy Scout Requirements Book (AF33215F - was 2003) each time a new edition is released. (Is it now an annual publication?)

Resolved: I'll ask the Advancement chair to include a list of the latest revision of MB booklets for my district's Sept saddle bags. (Maybe I'll prep the doc myself & let him present it.)

Bob

The requirements book may help. I have found a mix of old and new books in the stores, so I always check the revision date. However, the first requirements book we bought as a family in 2002 has since been updated for 2004. That is the single easiest way I know of in book form, but meritbadge.com has updates noted. Maybe that would help?

Many online sources, though unofficial, are very helpful. The requirements book comes out annually and is THE BIBLE for rank and MB requirements. However, it lists current reqs, and not a past history.

Our district MB training sessions usually give a brief overview of what changes were made each year. The training is free and isn't too painful.

Remember,

A scout must use the new requirements when he starts the MB. Once he has started it, he can use those requirements even if they are changed later. Or he can decide to switch to the new requirements. He cannot mix the new with the old.

Your old MB books are no good if the requirements have been changed and a Scout has not started on them yet.

The inside back cover of the 2004 Requirements Book has the latest revision dates listed for all the MBs; you can compare your date in the front of the pamphlet to the date in the back of the Requirements Book.

Even if a MB's requirements are revised, there's no need to throw old pamphlets away. As FOG says, you can staple the new requirements in the front. And, regardless, much if not mo

USSSP also has listed the revisions for the last 3 or 4 years on a single page.

http://www.usscouts.org/usscouts/meritbadges.asp

About 2 screens down you'll find

Midyear 2004....

The reminder that the pamphlet itself is not out of date is well taken, but should not be an excuse if the lad "can't find the answer in it!" My son has often found his iinfo/deas/projects/ beyond the book.

Bob

We also have an extensive library of "experienced" merit badge pamphlets and are regularly checking requirements against the latest Requirements Book for consistency. Do you suppose that there is some reason that "20XX Revision" or something similar can't be printed on the requirements page when the pamphlets are printed? Sure would make things easier.

Heck, if anyone w/ a hook at BSA is listening they could easily make the same "Minor" change (addition or deletion) to the cover of all Books that have been revised this year and continue to use the same "cover detail" on subsequent printings until the new round of revision occurs.

I'm just brainstorming here but... could they move the picture of the MB itself to the right hand corner instead of the left? Add the "universal emblem" to the top line?? Plaster my picture or initials on the front cover of every book??? Sorry, its getting late!

Bob

Bob