Considering that requirement 1 of Lifesaving is to pass the 2nd class and 1st class swim test and it must be completed before doing 2 through 15, would it make sense to give a non-swimmer a blue card for Life Saving?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, the requirements where different then, I think at that time the scout needed the Swimming MB before lifesaving. However your point is taken.

The scout wanted to start in town two weeks before summer camp and finish at summer camp. The camp did allow scouts to work on both badges at the same time. So yes, he could do it.

That wasn't they way I worked with scouts. I believe scouts should make their own decisions based from there experience and information and guidence of their mentors. I did the same thing when a scout felt ready for BOR and I felt he wasn't. If the camp didn't allow the scout to work on both badges at the same time, it wouldn't have even come up.

I never had a reason to force the power of the signature and I made every atempt for the scout to control his experience in the troop.

Barry

Responding to BW's last response to me, I would agree that the SM should not withhold a signature, but should seek to counsel boys about finishing things up before taking on new tasks. Clearly if an opportunity such as you postulate presents itself, the boy should be encouraged to proceed.

I think the problem is with the word "control." I see nothing wrong with the SM using this process to guide, advise, and influence the "flow" of MBs. In most cases, I suspect scouts who respect the SM will take his advice, if, for example, he says, "I think that MB is a bit too much for your first camp experience--why don't you try this one instead?"

I suppose one might imagine a scenario in which a SM could reasonably decline to sign blue cards. How about this one: "Hey, Mr. SM, could you sign blue cards for all the Eagle-required MBs for me? I know I'm just a Tenderfoot, but this way I won't have to bother you for signatures when I actually get ready to do them..."

Very good thread. I also don't believe that the signature is a "permission slip" to start a MB, but rather to give them the resources to start the MB (i.e. counselor info, and is an opportunity for the SM to, counsel and guide, a scout on their goals and interests.

Scoutmasters also can easily get caught in the proverbial Catch-22. In our district, a particular troop does an excellent job of conducting Swimming and Lifesaving merit badge classes over a period of four to five weeks. Our district advertises this event at our monthly roundtables. It is stressed that the event is not a "teaching" event, i.e. no swim instruction takes place, but qualified counselors are on hand to test and evaluate. They also ask that boys sign up via their unit and not individually. A fee is involved (covers pool rental I suppose) and class size is limited. Now, I've had boys from our unit ask me to sign them up for the MB classes as they hand me the appropriate dollar amount for the class of interest. I dutifully sign them up. Many don't ask me for a blue card. Many get in the water and have much difficulty passing the skill requirements. Then the instructors running the classes chastise the SMs in attendance for allowing "unprepared" Scouts to sign up for the class. In their words, if they are not ready to show the required swimming skills, the SM should not let them have taken the class. Not that I agree but again, another area where theory and reality collide.(This message has been edited by acco40)

I have a real problem with what the troop in acco40's example is doing. The job of a counselor is to coach and counsel BEFORE testing. Even the Red Cross does classes before it tests. So should a merit badge counselor.

BSA Lifeguard is different. I would expect a certain level of swimming ability first, but that is not a merit badge and has a different purpose in the program.

If the question here is whether a scout should be a certain level of swimmer before completing the merit badge. Yes, that is a requirement. but it is the Merit Badge counselor who has the SOLE authority to test and determine completion of a requirement. Perhaps the last time the scout was tested he couldn't swim but has since taken classes, or gained strength and is ready to move forward. Let the counselor determine the scouts needs and abilities, that is their responsibility.

In my view, the unit leader signature on the blue card serves several purposes.

First, it's tangible evidence to the counselor that the Scout followed BSA procedure leading up to their first meeting. Blank blue cards aren't controlled items -- anyone can buy them. As a counselor, if there's no signature, an alarm bell should be ringing.

Second, it provides an opportunity for the unit to "capture" the start of the MB if they track partials in TroopMaster.

Third, it provides an opportunity for the SM to counsel the Scout on his goals. I've counseled Scouts away from certain MBs and toward others, depending on several factors. That said, I've never denied a blue card if one insisted -- it's only $.08

Finally, and perhaps most important, the signature on the front "seals" the counselor assignment on the back. To me, that's the most important part of the whole process for the SM, because it's the only input he has into this important aspect of the Scout's advancement. Once the counselor's assigned, no other registered leader including the SM can challenge the counselor's certification that the Scout completed the requirements. I'm not suggesting that counselors are pencil-whipping requirements in a wholesale manner. There may be some who do, but in my experience, the main importance of the counselor assignment is matching personalities, schedules and availability, and proximity. Get any of those wrong, and it can mean the difference between the Scout earning the badge in a reasonable time, or getting burned and starting over later with a different counselor.

KS

Back to the swimming thing:

Isn't one of the primary purposes of the merit badges for the Scouts to learn about a particular area or interest? What's wrong with a non-swimmer or beginner wanting to take Swimming MB in order to learn to swim. There should be more to a merit badge than simply demonstrating that you can already meet the requirements. That philosophy is certainly applied to the career/hobby exploration MBs, why not one like swimming?

Besides that, don't Scouts teach kids how to swim anymore? Can you not learn something unrelated to an acheivement?

Bob -

I agree with your concerns regarding setting up a day to just "test out" of a MB. I believe instruction is always in order.

KS -

I agree on all three of your points. The process is all part of the Quality Control we need to make sure the operation works as planned. Our troop even has a recommended "procession" of Eagle MBs, staggered at a rate that makes them more attainable for the Scouts.

I struggle with this whole "power" argument. I don't see myself as a power-hunger SM. In fact, I try to delegate as much as I can (to the boys, to the committee, to my SAs, etc.). But, I know as soon as I start to type this comment, I'll be accused of wanting supreme power over everything involving the boys.

So, hear goes.... I believe that the SM should use the request for a blue card as a time to assess how things are progressing for the scout. It's an informal Scoutmaster's conference. If the scout is asking for something that he's not ready for, I'm going to counsel him against it. If he respects me, I would think that he would follow my advice. The only time I could see him complaining is if he has a mom or dad pushing him from behind.

For example, I've got a scout that still has four or five partials from last year's summer camp, two or three partials from the past 9 months, and is about to go to summer camp to - presumably - get several more partials. If he walked up to me tomorrow and said "I want to start working on Citizenship in the World", I would probably counsel him to finish one of the many partials he has on his plate (Personal Fitness, Family Life, Cit in Community, etc.) before tackling such a demanding merit badge. Yes, I would probably go as far as denying him the card, at least initially. He needs to demonstrate some ability to follow through on his commitments. I also believe, if phrased correctly, it could be used as a time to motivate him to quit procrastinating and finish some of the things he's started.

Our troop even has a recommended "procession" of Eagle MBs, staggered at a rate that makes them more attainable for the Scouts.

EagleKY,

Why? Do you see merit badges as a responsibility of the troop? Scouting does not. Certainly not a 'scheduled' basis. Each scout should have the ability to choose his own path to Eagle. That includes which required merit badges he does, and when he is interested in doing them.

Why not just introduce a taste of a merit badge in conjuction with the monthly program theme or as related to an adventure, and let the scout decide if he wants to proceed further? The goal of scouting is not about making Eagle scouts. That is exactly the path you are taking the minute you start talking scheduling Eagle required MB classes.

There are far more exciting things to do with a troop than merit badge classes, and they will do more to motivate advancement than the class will.

(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Bob -

I know I'm walking on thin ice on this subject, so choosing the best wording is always difficult. I actually think that our approaches are not that far apart. The "procession" I spoke of - which probably wasn't the best word, but it was what came to mind - simply is a recommended guideline for scouts to follow that guides them to earning their Eagle MBs over a 3 year period. It's not meant to be any more than that. For example, it encourages first year scouts to take Swimming at Summer Camp, and, as I mentioned in another post today, we focus on First Aid in the fall (September or October).

As for how we try to approach Merit Badges in the troop meetings, it's not that different from what you described. For example, with April being "Youth Protection Month", we decided to focus meetings on Family Life related subjects. We integrated the Youth Protection video into the process. An approved MB Counselor got the boys started on working on the MB. Past that, its up to the boys to work on their individual projects, and set up time to work/review with the counselor. After that time, I have had no formal involvement, nor has the troop done anything around "assisting" them in completing their work. It's all up to the boys - as it should be.

So how much meeting time would you say was centered on earning the Family life merit badge? That is where my concern is.

If you did a few requirements over a month of theme related meetings and at the end said, "by the way, some of the things you did this month were requirements from family related merit badges such as the Family Life, Home Repairs, Geneology, and Pets. If you want to learn more about these badges you can borrow the book from the troop library or see the Scoutmaster for counselor information". I would say that was a good understanding of the troop program and the advancement method.

If however you say "next week we have the counselor from the Family Life Merit Badge coming in to get you started." I would say that you are choosing the merit badge for the scout and giving them the implied choice of working on that merit badge, like it or not, or staying home and do something they like to do.

Something to consider.